Menu

Can we talk about Minis please?

Shelly in IL

We are considering a major change! I currently drive a Yukon XL. Our eldest (of two) is heading for college next year and rarely rides with us anymore. So it is the three of us and one small dog. What will I think (or do you think) of a mini Clubman? I would prefer a Countryman, but they are still too expensive. Also, how do these cars do in the snow? Thanks

I have a 2003 MINI Cooper S. In 10 years I've had no troubles (and a lot of fun).

The current engine is a different design than mine, as is the body. So I can't speak to later year models.

What is snow? :D

And it's MINI, not Mini. Little car, big letters.

Bill

My dh drives his 2006 beloved MINI. It isn't so beloved by me as repairs (and we've had quite a few - power steering pump, A/C twice now (not optional in TX!), brakes, and more - those are just the recent ones) are extremely expensive compared to the same repair for my practical and reliable Honda. The run-flat tires themselves are also very pricey.

Fun but the continuing cost of ownership is a big downside for me.

I wouldn't get a MINI.  They get poor gas mileage for their size and take premium fuel.  If you need a good car in the snow, get a Subaru.  My 2010 Outback gets great mileage for an all wheel drive car its size (overall 28, 34+ on the highway) and it holds four people very comfortably.  Three adult sized people across the back seat isn't bad either.  Highly recommended.