Menu

Need Advice...

My 11th grade daughter has been homeschooled up until 9th grade.  She went to public school for 9th, 10th, and the first 3 weeks of 11th.  She has some unique opportunities that has been given her, and she is tired of the high school drama and wanted to finish her last two years at home.  I decided to enroll her in Connections Academy, which seems like a great program, but they want her to make up each and every lesson she missed the past 4 weeks.. even though she was already enrolled and took the same classes in public school.  So basically she has 7 classes with a ton of lessons to make up.  She is completely overwhelmed.  We are seriously considering taking her out of CC and just straight homeschooling her.  She only needs about 8 credits to graduate... but Connections Academy is forcing her to be a full time student and she has to take 7 classes... some of these she doesnt even need to graduate, but she had to take "filler" classes so she can be full time.  Ugh!!  She is also wanting to graduate early.  

I guess my question is, if I go ahead and homeschool her, how do I go about transcripts and an "official diploma"?  She is going to our local junior college for commercial music.... I did call the college and they said that her transcripts would need to come from an accredited school and notarized?? We are in Texas, so isn't our homeschool considered a private school?  

Please advise me... and excuse my rambling.. LOL :cursing:  :cursing:

Thanks,

Jennifer

Guest Kronos

Hi. I'm sorry but im sort of in the same boat. My 15 year old daughter has missed school since it started due to a faulty bus schedule that the school did nothing about after numerous calls and concerns from me for 2 weeks. I've since unenrolled her and signed the intent form and I had to wait another week for my employer to ok a new schedule for me to start all this. Now that I've researched home schooling, i'm beginning to think  I made a grave mistake. So I tried to enroll her in an online school and they are denying her admittion saying its "too late" and to wait for second semester. Now she sits with no schooling. I have no idea how or where to start homeschooling. I understand now that I need to purchase her studies. How? where? I'm brand new and clueless. Can anyone help? I need to know where, what, and how to purchase the studies.  Im sorry if I posted in the wrong place. I was given this web site after the ninth phone call I made. I apologize. I don't even know if I have any of my info right. lol forgive me.

Yes, your homeschool is considered a private school in Texas. What about dual enrollment at the c.c.?

I am not that far along into our journey, as my oldest homeschooled student is in 7th grade, but I know lots of people who homeschool and dual enroll when their kids are of age (junior/senior year) at our local cc.

I wish I had BTDT experience, but I'll bet you can find some folks who have on this board. :)

Hi. I'm sorry but im sort of in the same boat. My 15 year old daughter has missed school since it started due to a faulty bus schedule that the school did nothing about after numerous calls and concerns from me for 2 weeks. I've since unenrolled her and signed the intent form and I had to wait another week for my employer to ok a new schedule for me to start all this. Now that I've researched home schooling, i'm beginning to think  I made a grave mistake. So I tried to enroll her in an online school and they are denying her admittion saying its "too late" and to wait for second semester. Now she sits with no schooling. I have no idea how or where to start homeschooling. I understand now that I need to purchase her studies. How? where? I'm brand new and clueless. Can anyone help? I need to know where, what, and how to purchase the studies.  Im sorry if I posted in the wrong place. I was given this web site after the ninth phone call I made. I apologize. I don't even know if I have any of my info right. lol forgive me.

If you just want to buy a grade level of studies, contact BJUP or any other reputable vendor.  Here's a list to get you started.  Cathy Duffy homeschooling curriculum reviews of grade level packages

I will suggest to you however that jumping into homeschooling at high school is not for the faint of heart.  It will take you less time each day to drive her to a different public school that you enroll her in than it will to supervise homeschooling and make all this happen. 

Kronos,

What grade is your dd? If you could list what courses she's already done in high school, what she was planning for this year and maybe what sort of goals she has after graduation, people could probably make some suggestions.

For high school some people use enrollment in a full program (online or parent supervised), some do everything at home using material they pull together and others do a mix depending on the subject.

There are some threads pinned to the top of the board with good links to get you started.

Guest Kronos

Hi Elizabeth.

Thank you so much for replying. Unfortunately public school is not an option for us. I clicked on your link. Do I choose from the "high school" section and purchase one suitable for us?

And Hi Sebastian,

Thank you as well. My daughter is in 10th this year. Would need to contact school for previous studies. She really wants college later on.

Again thank you. A little about me since I am new to this site: I am a 44 year old recently single parent of 2. In one heck of a pickle. I have my self earned an ATA degree and an AA degree. My whole life just turned upside down and I am very uneducated in the homeschooling structure. I am getting very negative feedback from state, and school officials. I've read a lot of these posts and feel very out of place. We need this to happen. I have to learn this so i am starting here. A big high 5 to anyone wanting to help a complete homeschool newbie parent. lol. Considering the fact that i have been lead astray for 8 hours on the phone until finally shown this site, i just cannot thank you people enough. I just may learn something here! I am determined

I agree with Wishbone that you should take a deep breath and wait to jump into buying things. It's worth taking a little time to choose the right level and best delivery for your kid.

Do you have your daughter's (dd is short for dear daughter) report card so you could see what classes and grades she had last year? What courses was she registered for?

What resources do you have? For example do you have access to a library? Do you have the Internet at home?

What does your dd want to do after graduation? What she planning on college, working, a professional licensing program?

Could you clarify her grade situation?   She was in 11th for 3 weeks, but is in 10th now, and only needs 8 credits to graduate?  I'm assuming that you're basing the 8 credits on the bare minimum, but even with that, I wouldn't worry about missing a few weeks.  Why does she need 7 classes at Connections Academy?  If that's too stressful, could you cut back a bit, or even do 3 but finish them in half a year?  Then she'd be free to take some community college courses next semester, but it might be best to start with only one or two.  You have many options, and if she's only in 10th, you have a lot of time too.  

ETA:  Regardless of what you decide to do now about curricula, I'd go to the dual enrollment office at your community college and get information about testing and registration.   There are some courses which are done in half a semester, so the ones scheduled for the second half of this semester haven't started yet.  In other words there may be time to still register for a class this semester.  Considering that college courses are already faster paced than high school courses, I'd make sure it's one that your daughter could comfortably do in a short time - maybe a study skills type of course or something in an area of strength.

Another thought, if she's not already registered for the PSAT, I'd register her for that as it's given in October only.  It's the least expensive of the standardized tests and is good practice for the SAT which she'll take in her junior year.

Edited again:   Sorry!  I've clearly got 4Pillars' and Kronos' posts mixed up here.   I'll leave this in case any of the PSAT info or whatnot is helpful to anyone.  : P

Kronos, while you sort it all out, your daughter can be productive.  Pick a novel and have her read it and have her go on Kahn Academy and start working at the math level she last worked on in school.  You can take her to the library and ask if they have any of the Great Courses available (or Modern Scholars) and she can select one to watch/listen to for a few weeks.  Give her a spiral notebook and have her write you a vivid/concrete description of a food/famous personality...anything.  While at the library also have her select a book on how to do something she may have wanted to try.  Your Dd can stay productive and tuned in while you work out the future.

We are seriously considering taking her out of CC and just straight homeschooling her.  She only needs about 8 credits to graduate... but Connections Academy is forcing her to be a full time student and she has to take 7 classes... some of these she doesnt even need to graduate, but she had to take "filler" classes so she can be full time.  Ugh!!  She is also wanting to graduate early.  

I did call the college and they said that her transcripts would need to come from an accredited school and notarized?? We are in Texas, so isn't our homeschool considered a private school?  

Thanks,

Jennifer

I can't help with the Texas part at all, but maybe you could consider letting her block schedule some stuff?

What classes does she still need to graduate?

Derek Owens has math and physics classes that are 'at your own pace'... maybe she could double down on those, get them out of the way by January and then go ahead with Eng. etc. at the Community College? Here, our CC offers some classes that start at non-mainstream times... like Oct or over the winter break.

O(klahoma)SU offers a Spanish course that is self paced.

For what it's worth, CC is a confusing acronym. It is often used here to mean community college, but could also refer to Classical Conversations, a brand of coop based classical homeschooling.

I don't know if there is a common abbreviation for Connections Academy. Maybe CA? Or just Connections?

Anyway does Connections have a set schedule such that she needs to do 4 weeks of work before the end of the semester or month or year? Or does it mean that she can take four weeks longer at the end of the year?