Menu

Assurant Insurance - Any reviews?

ELaurie

Dh and I recently met with an insurance agent to discuss options that might lower our monthly premiums for a family of 4. She suggested Assurant, with a $10,000 deductable and an additional policy for accidents / critical care incidents that would cover up to $10,000, before the major medical policy kicks in.

We currenly have Aetna, but have never filed a claim because our deductible is so high; we can no longer afford the premiums.

okay - I listened to dh explain this to a client yesterday.  He represents a number of companies, and does what is best for the client.

their policies are limited terms (as opposed to most policies are in force until you cancel/stop paying), and they have no guarantee your policy will be renewed at the end of that term (e.g. one year).   If you have a major illness - and your policy runs out in the middle of treatment, you're screwed.  they won't renew you (that's why they are so cheap.  they cut everyone who is a liability), and because of a pre-existing condition, no one else will take you on.

I had Assurant years ago. They bought the company I had prior to that policy, so I didn't choose them. The rates climbed exponentially on my policy, and the denied claims rolled in. They raised my rates so high and so fast to get me to drop the policy, I'm sure. I have health issues. Thankfully, at that point they were a second policy for me, and I could comfortably drop them.

It's been years, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth just reading their company name.

Thanks Kristen. Would you mind letting us know which carriers your dh recommends? We are in IL.

too many variables based up on where you live, and what your needs are, what your employer offers (or doesn't).  we are in Washington, and that is where he is licensed. 

Hm. We have Assurant. We haven't had any problems yet. We are in the Aetna network, so we can use any of those doctors. 

have you had any *major* claims?

No major claims and it's only been six months. I have a separate clause for a pre existing condition (none of the other companies would do that for me- they either denied me or wanted me to pay sooooo much money). But after February they have to include my pre existing condition.

We'll see how the dust settles after the ACA rolls out. We may be better off going through that.

their policies are limited terms (as opposed to most policies are in force until you cancel/stop paying), and they have no guarantee your policy will be renewed at the end of that term (e.g. one year).   If you have a major illness - and your policy runs out in the middle of treatment, you're screwed.  they won't renew you (that's why they are so cheap.  they cut everyone who is a liability), and because of a pre-existing condition, no one else will take you on.

For now, yes.... but come January 1st, an insurer cannot turn you down for pre-existing conditions, and they will have to cover them as well. That said, I've heard horror stories about Assurant.............

Well, that's discouraging. Like so many others here, it looks like we can't afford decent health insurance.

Even with a $10,000 deductable :ohmy:

According to our insurance agent, the prices in the exchanges will probabaly be even higher than the rates we're  able to qualify for if we can enroll in a decent plan now. Of course even if we do that, it may be only a temporary solution, because rates will likely go up and force us to drop the policy eventually. I'd prefer to stay out of the exchanges, for a variety of reasons, but it I'm also nervous about the idea of a program like Medishare or Samaritan Ministires. It just seems like there aren't any good solutions :sad: