Menu

This is just a cold, right?

Loowit

DS started to not feel well yesterday afternoon.  He won't talk or swallow.  He says his throat hurts (he writes notes).  He is starting to get a stuffy nose today also.  He doesn't have a fever, but he is just laying on the couch, which means he is really feeling sick.  He wants me to call the doctor, but I told him it was just a cold.  When DD heard me she told me that strep throat is going around.  She overheard this at her dance studio from the moms.  Now I am wondering if it could be strep.

How do you decide to get your child tested for strep vs. deciding it is just a cold?  My feeling is that without a fever it is not likely he has strep, but he won't swallow anything.  We got him to eat a little ice cream last night, but today he has had nothing.  He even has a bowl to spit out his spit which was DH's idea, but I think is terribly gross.  I am not terribly worried, but there is always that nagging what if in my mind.

In the past two weeks, dh and I - and several of our friends- have had something that sounds very much like this. For me, my sore throat was because my sinuses were draining down my throat and it was super irritated. After a day, I was so close to going to the doctor, because it felt that bad and I was thinking it might be strep. But I took some OTC antihistamines and by the next day my throat felt much better, but by then it was a full flown cold. 

Dh progressed much like I did, but his didn't last as long. Three people we work with have also had similar illnesses, starting with a really sore throat. 

Hope it's just a cold, but of course when your kid is suffering, you want to do whatever you can to make it better. 

My instinct is that if he won't even swallow saliva it warrants a trip to the doctor.

BUT, I also think it depends on how he usually deals with illness. If he's generally a trooper but this has him so run down, then DEFINITELY a trip to the doctor is in order. If, however, every cough or cold has him claiming he's the sickest child ever, then maybe wait it out.

Having a DD who is a bit of a drama queen makes me question my gut all the time. 

I tried to look at his throat and it looked a bit red, but no spots.  I finally called the advice nurse and she said he needed to be seen so we are taking him in this afternoon.  He normally has a high pain threshold so this this not normal for him.  He doesn't even want to play games on the computer.  I think it is good he has an appointment.  He has started to throw up now too.  Poor kid.

DS started to not feel well yesterday afternoon.  He won't talk or swallow.  He says his throat hurts (he writes notes).  He is starting to get a stuffy nose today also.  He doesn't have a fever, but he is just laying on the couch, which means he is really feeling sick. 

My dd just had a cold like this. She wrote notes too. The sore throat lasted 2.5-3 days. Stuffy nose came next--she's actually still a bit congested--then cough which lasted about a day.

I tried to look at his throat and it looked a bit red, but no spots.  I finally called the advice nurse and she said he needed to be seen so we are taking him in this afternoon.  He normally has a high pain threshold so this this not normal for him.  He doesn't even want to play games on the computer.  I think it is good he has an appointment.  He has started to throw up now too.  Poor kid.

Glad you were able to get him in. He sounds miserable. Hope he gets well quickly!

Thank everyone.  I just got back from the doctor.  The strep test was negative, but they are concerned about his hydration level, so we are trying to get him to drink little bits at a time.  He doesn't seem to keep much down though.  They said it is some sort of virus and to bring him back if he isn't better by Thursday.