Menu

Quick input please on return/refund of item

eaglei

UPDATE - 9-25-13

Just wanted to post this update.  Today, I received the item back, nicely packaged and, except for having been opened, in same condition as when sold.  Not marred in any way.  What a relief!

Thanks again for your input.  Next time (I hope there won't be a next time . . .), I will know better how to handle it and will know to hold refund till item is received back . . .  It's a blessing that this person actually returned it . . .  :-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you sold something to someone and they e-mailed saying they were returning it for a full refund because it wasn't what they thought, would you tell them just to keep it even though you'll refund their payment.  It's stated that buyer pays return fee. Not a huge sale, but a nice item nonetheless. 

I'm inclined to supply address for return . . .

What do you say?

I think if the buyer was willing and happy to pay the return fee, I'd accept the return, refund the money, and attempt to sell the item again.

Thank You!

This is what I need to do as the funds, while not a whole lot, would definitely help.  I just felt *guilty* *making* him return it - but - he said he was returning it; I didn't ask . . .  I don't know why it's so hard to do this, but I'm going to do it.  I've already issued the refund; now, I will contact him verifying the correct return address as requested . . . 

Whew . . .

I look at it this way: if they bought x at Target or Best Buy or wherever and got home and didn't like it, they would have to pay for gas (and their time costs) to bring it back to the store for a refund right? So why should online sellers refund without getting the item back. 

I have had several sellers tell me to keep it. And some wanted it back. I have sold things and one person wanted contacted me wanting a partial refund because a part wasn't there (which was stated in the listing, and price reflected that) and I offered a full refund if she just returned the item. She choose to keep. So it is totally expected by me that I return the item if I want a refund.

I think it's fine that he pay to return the item.  It's not like you misrepresented the item, I assume--he just didn't research it enough before he bought it.

Exactly!  The item was new in package with a full description.  I even itemized the contents.  Technically, this could be a case of buyer's remorse, having not first either read the description carefully or researched what he was purchasing.  Since it will no longer be new in package when he returns it, the value will drop, but I think it is still sellable.

I look at it this way: if they bought x at Target or Best Buy or wherever and got home and didn't like it, they would have to pay for gas (and their time costs) to bring it back to the store for a refund right? So why should online sellers refund without getting the item back. 

I have had several sellers tell me to keep it. And some wanted it back. I have sold things and one person wanted contacted me wanting a partial refund because a part wasn't there (which was stated in the listing, and price reflected that) and I offered a full refund if she just returned the item. She choose to keep. So it is totally expected by me that I return the item if I want a refund.

Yes, this makes sense, about the gas, time, etc.  I really thought hard about telling him to just keep it.  To determine that it wasn't what he wanted, he had to open it first AND use it (not a personal item).  He is clearly not pleased with it, so keeping it wouldn't do him any good.