Menu

Saxon Math 8/7 or Pre-Algebra??

I saw something awhile back about how Saxon Math approaches algebra.  I thought I had read somewhere that 8/7 and Algebra 1/2 cover mostly the same material.  Anyone have any insight on this??  I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for starting high school math (this all seems WAAAAYYYY too soon  :crying:!!).  I don't want to duplicate, but I also do not want to skip pertinent information either.  

Any input would be great!

Thanks so much :)

We did 8/7 last year and as DD doesn't love math we are doing Saxon 1/2 this year.  I think she likes 1/2 much better.  It moves along a bit quicker after the first few chapters.  I can't put my finger on it, but it does seem to suit us better.  DS is going much faster at math, so he will start 8/7 in Jan.

With current editions, a child who completes Math 76 with at least an 80% average goes to Math 87, then Alg. 1. If he has less than an 80%, he does Alg. 1/2, then Algebra 1.

With older editions it was the opposite. I'm not sure when that changed, but you should be able to find out from the publisher.

Art Reed (who worked with John Saxon and promotes his books) says that if the student get 80% or above on the final 5 or 6 tests, then he can go straight to Algebra 1/2.  The content of 87 and 1/2 is very similar but 1/2 moves more quickly and doesn't spend as much time on revision as 87 does.  87 still prepares the student for Algebra 1 but just does it a little more gently.

DD is good at math, although she doesn't love it, but her scores from 7/6 were consistently good. We skipped 8/7 and went right to Algebra 1/2. So far she's 16 lessons into Alg. 1/2 and has yet to see anything new. (She's only done 16 lessons because we're doing Algebra 1/2 over two years and are supplementing a few days a week with worksheets on other topics, like Venn diagrams and probability, as well as word problems.)

From what I understood, I thought 8/7 was recommended (3rd edition) and then if the child did well, they could go straight to algebra. If they don't score "x" amount on the last 5 tests, then they would follow 8/7 with 1/2.

This is what we are doing. I figure it gives me an extra year before algebra if my dd needs it, though I doubt she will.

I have the same understanding as Linda.  I also have both curricula on hand (8/7 homeschool Third edition and Algebra 1/2 Third edition).  8/7 continues to drill basic math facts and has daily mental math, whereas those are dropped from Algebra 1/2.  My oldest son is in 6th grade and went from 7/6 last year to Algebra 1/2 this year - he is very math-minded.  My second son, who is not as math-minded will probably do 8/7 instead of Algebra 1/2, because I imagine he will need the continued practice with drills and mental math that my oldest does not require. 

The 8/7 book has the same layout and feel as the 5/4- 7/6 texts but it is huge- probably 1/3 bulkier.  It is also labeled as "8/7 with Prealgebra."   Algebra 1/2 is more like the texts I remember from high school algebra.  The text font is much smaller in 1/2 and the instructions seem to be written to a more mature student.  The book is hardcover and about 1/3 the size of the 8/7 softcover.

I have the same understanding as Linda. I also have both curricula on hand (8/7 homeschool Third edition and Algebra 1/2 Third edition). 8/7 continues to drill basic math facts and has daily mental math, whereas those are dropped from Algebra 1/2. My oldest son is in 6th grade and went from 7/6 last year to Algebra 1/2 this year - he is very math-minded. My second son, who is not as math-minded will probably do 8/7 instead of Algebra 1/2, because I imagine he will need the continued practice with drills and mental math that my oldest does not require.

The 8/7 book has the same layout and feel as the 5/4- 7/6 texts but it is huge- probably 1/3 bulkier. It is also labeled as "8/7 with Prealgebra." Algebra 1/2 is more like the texts I remember from high school algebra. The text font is much smaller in 1/2 and the instructions seem to be written to a more mature student. The book is hardcover and about 1/3 the size of the 8/7 softcover.

8/7 is definitely bulky. My dd was just mentioning the other day that it has 900 pages, LOL.