Menu

I need a gluten free "guinea pig"

ProudGrandma

My daughter and I always make Christmas gifts each year for our family and friends.  this year we plan on making a variety of baking mixes.  We have several friends and family members who are Gluten Free.  So I was wondering if this is you..1) do you have any baking mixes you like and would be willing to share or 2) would you be willing to make some that I have found and give me your opinion on them? Since we aren't GF here, I wouldn't know if they were good compared to other GF products.   Here is one site I found.http://www.meetpenny.com/2013/01/6-homemade-gluten-free-baking-mixes/

I am not super particuluar, I just thought it would be nice to find a few mixes with my GF friends and family in mind.  Thanks.

Kathy

Well, reading the ones on the link you posted:

1. this is a more healthy-concious recipe than most ppl would use - it involves grinding  your own grains (which really should not be done in a grinder that has already ground wheat?) and alternative sweeteners and . .. i would not choose this as a 'gift'.

2.  This is a standard gluten free flour mix and would work well in any variety of non-yeast baked goods.

3.  Ok, i am partial towards ginger-lemon girl, as I am on her yahoo group.  a fake 'bisquick' is a handy thing.  I havent ever used them myself, though.

4.  I think a cake mix is a fun gift!!  

5.  I dont trust recipes that use only one flour.  almond flour is very expensive and possibly quite lovely, but i think its less of a sure thing.  Cute packaging idea, though.

6. I think the brownies look awesome too!  

Be careful with any store bought flours that contain bean flour, you have to be very particular about what you use them in or the flavor is overwhelming.

If you want a mix, I would do something like flourless peanut butter cookies instead:  Provide one jar of peanut butter as well as an equal amount of sugar, as well as chocolate chips or anything else you might like to mix in.  The recipe is:  One cup of sugar, one cup of peanut butter, one teaspoon vanilla, one egg, and whatever mix-ins you want make about 18 cookies.  Bake at 350 for ten minutes.

You can also do the same with other nut butters. If you can find macadamia nut butter, it's delicious with white chocolate chips.

Beware though, if I was given something by someone who wasn't gluten free, unless it was in a sealed box and marked gluten free I'd probably either regift it or throw it away.  I just don't trust that other people's sugar bins have not been contaminated with flour.  Gotten too sick too many times.  Maybe if you explain you bought new mixing bowls and measuring cups and new sugar I would risk it, but if I knew the stuff just came out of your gluten contaminated pantry I'd be polite but actually groaning inside.  I mean, my own mother and siblings have been very excited about something they made that was "gluten free" only to forget they didn't get the right kind of oatmeal or the right kind of soy sauce or they used a packaged rice with the wrong sort of starch in it. And these are people with years of experience.  As a result I don't eat anything prepared by anyone else unless I can read the labels myself.

You might want to just do a different sort of present for the gluten free people - perhaps a movie basket with some popcorn and gluten free candies in a big popcorn bowl?

I agree with the PP that, from what I know of my friends who are GF, if I were gluten-sensitive I would have a hard time accepting a homemade GF mix from a non-GF home/maker.

I just mixed up this batch of GF all-purpose flour today and made crackers with a regular recipe, subbing the flour 1:1 (ds is doing a wheat-free trial and desperately misses his Saltines).  I was happy with the outcome - we'll see what ds thinks when he gets home...

Thank you so much for reminding me of the cross contaminating that can happen.  I knew this...but that didn't register in my brain.  But I totally agree.  Would you trust a different kind of mix...like a onion soup mix, chicken noodle soup or spaghetti sauce season mix?   I can wash my containers, measuring spoons and cups, etc...before.  All of the people I am giving to, are sensitive, but not ultra sensitive.   They have eaten at my home and have not had any problems (and they would have told me so)...

Guest submarines

It depends on their sensitivity. Two of my children get allergic reactions from consuming foods made with gluten, but  don't react to cross-contamination. If a package says "may contain wheat", they are find. They don't get sick from eating GF goods from a regular bakery and our home is not GF. 

I'd find out first how sensitive they are.