Menu

FLL--Not lovin' it

I like the memorization, and dd is responding well to that. And I like the story and picture narration. But I am deploring the act of talking about common nouns and proper nouns with my 6-year-old. She can say the right answers, but I really don't think she "gets" it. I've decided to keep the memorization and narration exercises, but we're skipping the actual grammar for now. Anyone care to convince me otherwise? I know I'm inexperienced...

At 6 I think the reading and narration is plenty. That said, I am finally beginning to see why having a rapid recall of the definitions of terms comes in handy. We are using FLL and Aesop CW for writing in 4th grade, and it was the job of no satisfaction getting the boys to memorize all the definitions of the parts of speech with the combined forces of FLL and Latin. They did it. And now, when they are trying to pick out the parts of speech, (which is a job too!) I can remind them to take a word and apply the definition to it. That helps.

So it is useful, but at six...I'd far rather the time be spent in practicing reading or listening to reading.

We're in FLL 4 now after using FLL from the beginning - so I guess I could add my 2 cents :)  My dd didn't "get" the grammar in first grade either but we just plugged away at it and, looking back, I can see how it was beneficial. The definitions are second nature now where we are in the real work of diagramming and picking sentences apart. So I think you should just keep plugging away at it. It's a gentle program and, while your dd might not really understand it (and most kids don't get grammar at that age - it's really an abstract concept and not something concrete) the repetition and memorizing the definitions of the parts of speech will serve her well later on.  But, if it gets to a point where things are very easy (sooo many lessons on nouns!), skips some, combine some lessons, etc. But definitely keep doing it.

Would it help to add in some worksheets etc. Thats what I do with my kids. We are working on pronouns now and found a fun song about them on youtube. I find that doing some worksheet exercises and playing some games helped cement the concepts. The verbs are fun because you can get your child to act them out.

We started FLL when my dd was 7. A lot of it she didn't really get. Now she's almost 8 and in FLL 2. She gets it now! She points out nouns, verbs, and adjectives in our other subjects. She's great at remembering the definitions and the poems, narrations, and picture studies really break up the lessons. So I'm seeing the benefits this year. Last year I thought we were wasting our time. Apparently not :)

My oldest daughter had encountered minimal grammar study in her PS. When we started hsing during her 4th grade year, I began her grammar study with FLL4, and though she had to slog through some of it, she made it with some effort.  

The children behind her had FLL from 1st grade on up; that 3rd and 4th grader are moving right along through FLL3 and 4 with no problems.  This is despite the fact that those two particular dc are not my strongest students.   :)  My conclusion is that the grammar instruction they received from FLL 1 and FLL 2 was, indeed, a big help.  

The grammar definitions in FLL are  clear, concise and sensible.  I'm a fan.

I will say, however, that I was not striving for grammar mastery.  Grammar exposure was my goal; the only thing I insisted upon was the children being diligent to learn the poems we liked and the parts of speech definitions.  

All in all, I try to keep in mind that our purpose in learning grammar is so that we can talk about language usage in reading, writing, and speaking in a more precise way.  We aren't learning grammar for grammar's sake.   :)  Because, well, bleh...   :)

Learning grammar also helps with understanding as we learn Latin. 

In particular, I appreciate FLL because there are also sections on spoken grammar.  Oh, yes, and I also appreciate how FLL1 and FLL2 reminds me to teach those typical early grade things--how to write out your state and city, addresses of loved ones, the full names of your grandparents, etc.  

One final note, the first child going through FLL will likely need all those lessons on NOUNS, but let me tell ya, the 6 year old who has been listening to 4 older siblings repeat the definition of a noun for the past 4 years doesn't need 50 lessons on nouns.   :)  He's got it down! :)

Hope that helps!

I'm not loving it either, but I have to say that my 4 year old corrected him this morning on the exact definition of a proper noun.  So there are people at the table that "get it."  That being said, my son sounds a lot like your daughter.  Memorization, narration, etc, all going fine in FLL, but concepts...I can't tell if he gets it or not.  I think the suggestion of supplemental worksheets sounds great.