Menu

Okay I'm getting scared (x-post with hs board)

has anyone gone back to college while homeschooling? I didn't know whether to post this on the Gen board or here, but since this is the hs and self-education I thought I'd have better luck here.

I'm going to be taking pre-req. classes this year and doing the English MA program the two years following - all while hsing my 8th and 6th grade dds.

It will work out to about 2-3 classes a semester, and this isn't a whim, it is necessary. Has anyone done this type of thing? My goal is to have my MA and teach p/t at the local cc until dds graduate, then move into f/t eventually.

here is the breakdown

6th/8th - prereq.

7th/9th - MA

8th/10th - MA

9th/11th - p/t teaching

10th/12th - p/t teaching

11th - p/t teaching

12th - p/t teaching

and continue with p/t until f/t is available

I could really use some btdt, encouragement, etc.

thanks

I went back to school part time to finish my Bachelor's Degree in 2006, now I am halfway through my Master's. I don't think I could go full time, for a variety of reasons. My focus is on my childrens' education, but I like to keep my own mind stimulated, get out of the house, and gain a degree at the same time.

I agree about the full time - I think 2 or 3 would be all I could handle - and the MA program I am applying to has all classes meeting 4-7 or 7-10. I talked to the advisor for the MA program and she said that she has several people in the program who are working full-time which is nice to know.

Dh is very helpful and behind this 100%.

Thanks for the post!

Although, I am torn over returning for my N.P. degree vs masters in Nursing Ed. I am eager to go read what others have said. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this decision.

And mine is necessary as well. I am currently in a doctor's office and hate it. I am very over-qualifed for my position. I need to decide what is best over-all for family. And whether or not I can school myself and my dc.

Off to read what the hive says.

I am going into my third year doing classes through distance learning at Liberty University. I am getting my bachelor's in psychology and hope to work part-time and then get my master's at some point.

I have been homeschooling at the same time. I have always taken 6-12hrs of classes because I just want to be done. It has not been easy, but well-worth it in my opinion. It has especially shown my dc that an education can be had at anytime. We have always talked about me getting a degree and now just seemed to be a good time.

You definitely have to be organzied. We start home schooling tomorrow, but my classes don't start for another week. This will be good in that we can get some kind of routine down before I add in my stuff.

Wow, I feel like such a wimp - I only have two dc and from your signature I see you have 7 - thanks for the encouraging post!

You're not a whimp. I don't think it matters how many dc you have, because hsing and going to college yourself is hard no matter what your circumstances. If you will notice I have lots of helpers in my brood, which helps alot.

If you need any encouragement this year just pm or email me. When do your classes start or have they already? What are you taking? I am taking a sociology, psychology, counseling women, and intro to Biblical counseling classes this semester. My classes run in 8wk sessions; so that means I will be taking 2 classes at a time for 8wks at a time. Sounds easy, but they cram 16wks of work into 8 wks. :tongue_smilie:

I believe it's good that you are realistic about what's ahead. I don't know if you are a Christian or not, but praying has helped me immensely when things get stressed and I have numerous Bible verses on note cards I can grab when I need an encouraging word. Just some random thoughts.

:grouphug:

I've been an adjunct professor for nine years now and have taken classes off and on all along. I also have a small business involving tutoring and web development. For us it's been a financial necessity, not something I frankly would have chosen. Frankly I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. It's a lot of stress at times, and there is some family disruption associated with it. DH is disabled and cannot help around the house, so it's pretty much my game.

Hopefully you've talked with your target CC to see if this is reasonable. The one I work for wants a fair amount of work experience and community involvement for full-time folks. Frankly I'm not sure that I would be a strong candidate right now, although they might make an exception.

Good luck!

Wow Lisa....7 kids with some being little and you're still doing it. I need some of your organizational skills I think!

I'm a little nervous starting up again, but excited also. Because it's an online program with a different timetable than normal semesters, I feel a little better about it. I can slow down or speed up as our responsibilities and life allows. That is one of the reasons for picking this school.

I'm going to put my assignments on the whiteboard for the family to see so that we can all keep each other accountable :) Mom will be schooling at the same time kids are (except direct instruction time for them, of course).

I'm really excited!

Wow Lisa....7 kids with some being little and you're still doing it. I need some of your organizational skills I think!

I'm a little nervous starting up again, but excited also. Because it's an online program with a different timetable than normal semesters, I feel a little better about it. I can slow down or speed up as our responsibilities and life allows. That is one of the reasons for picking this school.

I'm going to put my assignments on the whiteboard for the family to see so that we can all keep each other accountable :) Mom will be schooling at the same time kids are (except direct instruction time for them, of course).

I'm really excited!

What college are you taking classes from?

I am starting my MS in Mental Health Counseling next week. Getting the Bachelor's was a real bear, since I took 17 hours in the fall and 16 hours in the spring last year, but it's all done.

I had a 5th grade boy when I went back, and we tried continuing as we were for about a year with the eclectic gathering of materials I had been using before college. It didn't work out so well. I had trouble getting subjects done, and being accountable to just me and my "whims" was hard on J. He liked to know what was coming next, and college only intensified our confusion. He felt rushed all the time, and felt he had no choice over what to study. He had no schedule, and hated having things up in the air all the time. Then I found Switched On Schoolhouse and he found he liked the predictability. The automatic grading helped lots.

In the next 2 years I will have to complete 60 credit hours of classes and 1000 hours of clinical experience--100 hours with the local school corporation (oh, joy!) and 900 with a community center or hospital.

I'm divorced, and J's dad lives 30 miles away. He doesn't work, so I get no child support--but my mom lives a block away in case he needs something (and we live a block away in case she needs something!) while I'm on campus. We're living on student loans and help from mom right now and I will be $50,000 in debt when it's all over, but it will be worth it at the end of the road...I will have a good job doing what I love and I will be able to help J through college, which is one of the main reasons I started this whole thing.

It can be done! It just takes some juggling sometimes. My son learned to do more things on his own and learned to budget his time better.

:001_smile:

I think there are more and more hsing moms and dads going back to school. I am on other boards where there are quite a few one each board I frequent. I don't know if it's the economy, or just the idea of getting a degree when it wasn't possible before.

Maybe we should form a support group :) I know I sure could use one.

Thanks Lisa, I will definitely pm you :001_smile: And I would love a support group, what a great idea!

I'll be taking 3 - 16 week courses (9 hours per week) this semester, the same in the spring and then 2 killer 5 week courses in summer - that will kill me for sure - but then I will be in the MA program and it will be worth the push this year to get there by next fall.

Last semester I took 1 - 8 week course and 1 regular 16 week course so it was 9 hours for the first 8 weeks - it was difficult, but doable.

Those 8 week course are killers, but its so nice to get in and out that quickly.

Yes, I am a Christian - prayer is so important - thanks for the reminder!

has anyone gone back to college while homeschooling? I didn't know whether to post this on the Gen board or here, but since this is the hs and self-education I thought I'd have better luck here.

I'm going to be taking pre-req. classes this year and doing the English MA program the two years following - all while hsing my 8th and 6th grade dds.

It will work out to about 2-3 classes a semester, and this isn't a whim, it is necessary. Has anyone done this type of thing? My goal is to have my MA and teach p/t at the local cc until dds graduate, then move into f/t eventually.

here is the breakdown

6th/8th - prereq.

7th/9th - MA

8th/10th - MA

9th/11th - p/t teaching

10th/12th - p/t teaching

11th - p/t teaching

12th - p/t teaching

and continue with p/t until f/t is available

I could really use some btdt, encouragement, etc.

thanks

I did get my masters degree online while homeschooling. THis was nice because I never had to go anywhere so I could do all my work from home. My biggest advice is make sure that your dh is on board. My dh picked up a lot of slack for me in terms of letting me have my weekends to study and do homework. He also did a lot more cooking during that time. I love school and studying so it was fun for me, but I was happy to be done, also!! You can do it! It just takes patience and a lot of hard work!!!

Thanks, very helpful. Yes, actually I had the head of the English dept. at the cc as an instructor for two classes last semester (trying to get my feet wet there : )

Funny, I loved her, she was the best professor I'd ever had, very inspiring - so, not knowing she was the head of the dept. I went to her to ask advice and such. She was so helpful and gave me a couple of key tips, then let it slip that she actually did the hiring! This was after I had told her how much I loved the classes, her style of teaching, etc. I was a little embarrassed, because its not my style to go to a professor and well seemingly brown-nose - which I wasn't because I didn't even know she was the head of the dept, I thought she just taught a couple of classes. So anyway, she didn't see it as kissing up or whatever vulgar term I could use. When I told her I had no clue that she was the person who hired, she laughed and said that that was clearly written on my face. She went on to tell me that she had felt burdened and I had reminded her of why she had begun to teach. Cool huh?

She was very honest and said it would take 5-7 years before p/t could work into f/t - but that would work perfectly because my youngest still has 7 more years of homeschooling left.

Anyway - long story - sorry for the blah,blah, blah

thanks for the post

Thank you for the post. I agree about dh, and yes he is totally on board, so are dds, which will make all the difference. Last semester was a "trial" time for school - just two classes at a local cc, and they had alot of daddy/daughter time - it was wonderful to see them spending time together. For dh, he sees the light at the end of the tunnel and the future financial incentive doesn't hurt :001_smile: