Menu

Doing something nice for workmen on a project at our house?

Tranquility7

When I have work done at my home, (Kitchen and bath complete remodel, roofing, etc) I always bake something and serve them.  Sometimes daily, sometimes not.

My carpenter loves my banana bread. When we had roofing done, we had a wonderful apple tree and I make apple crisp for the crew. They ate on my picnic table outside.

Construction guys love tips (as do their wives). Adding some payment onto the final bill. Or restaurant gift cards, or food while they are working. 

The only thing I wouldn't do is offer beer. I know some who would, but the many reasons I feel that's a bad idea. It could be against company policy and Not all construction guys should/do drink. 

We always tip at the end if they do good work.  And I make extra food for us and offer to share some days.  I've made cinnamon rolls, pizza, subs, etc.  I keep cold drinks available.  The last workmen we had always brought their own food (one of the wives was a superb cook and always outfitted them), but I still made them extras.

They ***always*** say at the end to call anytime if we need more work done!

Ummmm, how big of a house? We had 2 guys do an AWESOME custom paint job (several colors) on 2400 sq ft (with vaulted ceilings) in a week??? I hope you are paying by the job and not the hour...

But, anyways, snacks and cold drinks...our flooring contractor still talks about how awesome we were to work for. DH brought cold drinks (we weren't living in it yet) each am and snacks (individual bags of chips/granola bars/ protein bars/apples/etc). One day he did pizza. Oh and popcorn was big... the power was on so DH did microwave popcorn one afternoon.

My dad and many of the men in my family are/were carpenters/roofers/painters at some point in their lives. Tips, and meals are always very, very welcome. My family doesn't eat meat unless it is Kosher or halal, so if you make something for them you might want to avoid things like pork. But tips, gift cards, and meals are always welcome. Plus recommend them to others.

Yes do tell them ahead if you are going to offer lunch one day so they don't pack a lunch that would go to waste. And we always do cheese or mushroom or olive or vege combo  of pizzas to avoid any meat issues.

And account for larger appetites if they are working all day. For the flooring crew we divided the # of workers by half and added one pizza. Worked out perfect. I think a couple guys had the last few pieces for afternoon snack.