Menu

Share your 2nd grade afterschool plan?

This is what we are doing with DD (7 year old):

FLL 2

WWE 2

Singapore 2A/2B

And a lot free reading, I mean a lot of books.  DD loves to read, so we allow her to read as much as she wants.  I am thinking of adding a spelling program next year, don't know which one yet.  May be AAS??!!

That is what we are doing too and we added the AAS 1, but I am wondering if we should add more of a language art grammer book and social studies.  Like today with everything it took us hour and half to complete everything.  I also have a 2 yr that distracts us and I try to keep her busy as well.  Trying to multitask.  LOL.  With 3rd grade coming up I don't know if I should be doing more.  the spelling words that they give her in public school are like the CVC words and she knows how to spell them.  They are so easy for her.

Still not organized here.  We're still orienting ourselves to new routines, and because of a big work deadline (mid-September), I have been putting my kids in others' care a lot more than usual.

Plans for when the dust settles:

Math, every day:  switch off between review and tough concepts.  The tough stuff using Singapore, because that's what they use in school.  The easy stuff using a variety of quick worksheets, storybooks, math games.

Reading:  just encouraging Miss A to read challenge material for her AR tests seems to be enough for now.  She reads to me every day.  If she doesn't bring home meaty enough material and we have time, I have her read some nonfiction (with a science / social studies / math focus).  Miss E reads a good quantity and variety of material without being asked.

Spelling:  teaching useful words that they have not memorized in school.  Whenever we have time, e.g., while driving...

Writing:  Daily Language Review for grade 2.  Just to keep reminding her of the basics.

Science and social studies:  museum visits and nonfiction reading.  Average probably 1x per week for each subject.

Piano: lesson during aftercare, practice when there's time.  Most likely they will practice an average of 3 days per week.

Spanish (Nanny teaches this on Saturdays)

Physical classes:  TKD, gymnastics, dance, swimming, horseback riding.

The kids are in aftercare until 6pm.  They need to start using the designated homework time (half hour) to do their AR reading and maybe a math worksheet from me.  The homework they get from school requires my supervision, so that needs to fit into our evening in addition to the above.

We have very full schedule for my 7yo but our main focus this year will be language art.

Reading:

Dancing Bears Fast Track (currently on page 65) - daily 10 minutes

I SEE SAM set 4, 5, 6 (currently at set 4 book 5) - daily 1 story

Lots of library books at his choice

Writing: Winning with writing level 2 - daily 1-2 lessons

Spelling: Apples & Pears A and B (may start at the second half o school year and through summer)

Grammer: Growing with Grammer level 2 - twice per week

Second language: 2 hours weekly on Saturday at Chinese school and daily review for 20 minutes (he learns 6 words each week)

Math: Singapore math 2A/B, Khan Academy (once a week)

Violin: 30 minutes class once a week and daily 30 minutes practice

PE: swimming lesson on Saturday, basketball (1hr) class once a week in aftercare

He stays in aftercare till 6 as well. I will also need him to finish as much homework as possible before I pick him up at 6. Otherwise, he won't be able to go to bed by 9.

He had 2 pages spelling homework yesterday and he did not finish it in aftercare. We spent almost an hour to get it done last night. The first page is about creating 6 words using different word chunks and drawing the picture to show the words. Another page is making 8 sentences with dictionary spelling by using 8 words he created. We had to skip violin practice last night as it was too already late in the night.

well... my son wakes up early. He normally wakes up between 6 and 7am and I wakes up at 5. We need to be out of door by 7:45. If he does not go to bed by 9 or 9:30, I was afraid he may not have enough sleep and impact his attention at school. I've never stayed up later than 10pm even when I was in graduate school working for dual degrees.

How do you all fit in so much work? DD just turned 8 and is in 2nd grade. We are doing AAS 3 right now after school. She has gymnastics twice a week after school and once on the weekend, plus swimming on the weekend. We'll probably add another sport in the winter. She spends a lot of time reading and she needs to do about 20 minutes of gymnastics stretching at home most days. I also want her to have time to play. I would like to add in some daily math, but I'm not sure if we really have time. I don't want to cut too much into her free time. I like to get her in bed by 8 or 8:30, but she usually stays up in bed reading for a while after that.

How do you all fit in so much work? DD just turned 8 and is in 2nd grade. We are doing AAS 3 right now after school. She has gymnastics twice a week after school and once on the weekend, plus swimming on the weekend. We'll probably add another sport in the winter. She spends a lot of time reading and she needs to do about 20 minutes of gymnastics stretching at home most days. I also want her to have time to play. I would like to add in some daily math, but I'm not sure if we really have time. I don't want to cut too much into her free time. I like to get her in bed by 8 or 8:30, but she usually stays up in bed reading for a while after that.

Honestly, I'm still figuring this out.  This year I feel like I'm working with a teacher who is reasonable, so that means I can try to keep more of a sane pace at home.  Also, I want to do better about getting my kids to bed at a decent hour.  If I plan well, I think my challenged kid could learn more by doing less.

For math, my approach is to hit it hard on the days when we have more time, light on other days.  Heavy means pulling out a Singapore workbook and math manipulatives and really taking the time to get those concepts down, spending a good hour on math alone.  Light means finding some worksheets (like "math minutes") that are at a mildly challenging level and letting her go at it while I do something else.  Or reading a math-themed storybook.  Or going through the flashcards.

How to fit it all in: It is is agreat challenge for the parent (long day at work) and the child (long day at school, aftercare etc). I am slowly figuring out that there are 3 parts to this: planning, implementing in small doses and learning to let go if it all gets too much. And zero Screen time at home (for parent and child) - exceptions are sporting events that we watch like Superbowl, Olympics, NBA playoffs etc.

I am weak at planning - I wing it most of the time. If I could make a spreadsheet and work packets and a master lesson plan that links them to time slots in our schedule, I will be all set. But, I am still to do it.

Right now, I plan for one day ahead - I know that on Thursday, we will do SM Challenging Word problems for 15 minutes and some Song School Latin (less than 10 minutes). The math will be done after dinner and the SSL will be done right after piano practice. I made a work packet by tearing out the papers for these 2 activities and plan to sit with my son to get these done so that we can have a discussion. My spouse who gets home later than me is the "fun" parent - he will then work with DS on Mindstorm or play a fast chess game with him or just fool around and get involved in physical play while I catch my breath.

Now, if I could only come up with a monthly plan ...

What we do to afterschool:

- Chess worksheet daily (he attends chess school on weekends and they send daily homework sheets for solving chess puzzles)

- Math - 2 days a week I teach above grade stuff, 1 day a week I do hands on math using manipulatives (Rosie's Education Unboxed videos), 1 day a week I do puzzles and similar stuff for fun

- Science - nothing this year so far.

- LA - we do fun poetry memorization together, FLL 1 chapter a week and I write a Word of the Day on a blackboard (usually a funny or thought provoking word) and we discuss it on our car rides

- Languages - Latin and Greek (very simple using Song School Latin and Song School Greek) - 1 chapte a week and review using CDs in the car

- Logic - we do this once a week formally (using Critical Thinking Company products)

- Computer programming - Scratch for 20 minutes on Saturdays

Afterschool Sports and others:

- Swimming twice a week - year around

- Tae Kwon Do - 3 or 4 evenings depending on belt testing schedule

- Chess - once a week on sunday

- Piano - once a week

When life gets in the way and we cannot afterschool (education using screentime for these occasions):

- DreamBox math online

- EPGY LA and Math online

- Brain Pop

My daughter is in first grade but I'm subscribing because I believe these grades are similar, development-wise.

My daughter's schedule is:

Monday, academic afterschool at an immersion program, read school-assigned book at home and more reading. Before school we do a subtraction drill.

Tuesday, stays with my mother in law. Before school subtraction drill.

Wednesday, math drills with me after school, play at local park, then music at the immersion school.

Thursday, play as I'm watching the neighbors' kids, math worksheet for concepts in German (language of immersion), read.

Friday, she's with the neighbor so she plays. I'm thinking of sending her with a worksheet for math to do while the neighbor's child does her own homework. It's not as if she'd be alone. They could study together. Read when I get home.

Weekend, we review what she's brought home from school, and work on the spelling errors. She also has soccer Saturday mornings. They have two recesses at school plus PE once per week.

All in all, she does about 20 minutes of math including discussion of concepts in the car (because that's how we roll... literally... counting on fingers in the rearview mirror) followed by 10 minutes of practice of math facts. Our goal is multiplication and division partners to 5 by the end of the year and we are easily on track.

Reading--she's not been into reading so I just want her to enjoy it. We use it for cuddle time. She's at grade level but her comprehension is higher and I'd like her to get to fluency so she can actually begin to *use* it as I know that she will read much more when it benefits her.

• 2 weeks later...

Just track my own progress after a month

Dancing Bears Fast Track @ page 85

I SEE SAM @ set 4 book 10 (set 5 is on shelf now!)

Winning with Writing @ week 4

Growing with Grammer @ lesson 14 (completed first unit)

Chinese @ first half of lesson 3 (each lesson contains 12 Chinese characters to master)

Singapore math 2A @ chapter 1 intensive pack and will move on to chapter 2 textbook this weekend

Violin @ start Suzuki Violin book 2 this week

Spelling - not yet started as he seems doing ok with school spelling curriculum

Reading: Morning and Afternoon for 20 minutes (daily)

Writing Excercises: (3 times per week)

Math: Alternate between IXL (school subscription), Kumon workbooks, and Xtramath (daily)

Little Pim online (library subscription): 1 five minute video/day

Brainpop Jr (school subscription): 1 video/day

Piano: 30 minute formal lessons once per week & daily practice

Reading Detective software: 3 times/week

Grammar: Workbook pages of IXL  (2-3 times/week)

Scratch: Whenever we have the time

Chess, Running, & Spanish clubs at school in the a.m.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised to see kids doing so many things at such young age. Can anyone of you please throw some light on these terms..

FLL , Singapore math, AAS and what does this mean

Singapore math 2A @ chapter 1 intensive pack and will move on to chapter 2 textbook this weekend

My kids are 7 and 5 and have nothing much to do except for my 7 yr old.he is littel busier than 5 yr old.

Can you please guide as what else I can do for thier age??

They have music class (1 hr) every Mon, Fri..

DS : Tuesday is packed up with soccer and abacus math

DD : Tue: happily playing around with 10 min hw

Wed : they pratice music, do their hw and little of our lang

Thur : music pratice, hw

Sat : soccer

rest of the time they play a lot(inside the house)

Daily(mostly not on a friday as they love to watch cartoons after music) they do have reading for 10 to 20 mins...

Do you all homeschool ?? and how do you follow about spelling, grammar etc. Do your kids do it actively without cribbing or postponing??

I am surprised to see kids doing so many things at such young age. Can anyone of you please throw some light on these terms..

FLL , Singapore math, AAS and what does this mean

My kids are 7 and 5 and have nothing much to do except for my 7 yr old.he is littel busier than 5 yr old.

Can you please guide as what else I can do for thier age??

They have music class (1 hr) every Mon, Fri..

DS : Tuesday is packed up with soccer and abacus math

DD : Tue: happily playing around with 10 min hw

Wed : they pratice music, do their hw and little of our lang

Thur : music pratice, hw

Sat : soccer

rest of the time they play a lot(inside the house)

Daily(mostly not on a friday as they love to watch cartoons after music) they do have reading for 10 to 20 mins...

Do you all homeschool ?? and how do you follow about spelling, grammar etc. Do your kids do it actively without cribbing or postponing??

This is after school board so I assume the parents here are working part time or full time. I work full time and my child stays in after care till 6. He finishes his homework in after care. Then we do works after dinner.

AAS = All about spelling

FLL = grammer program

Singapore math = math program

It's very hard to fit in all in the limited time. We try to make everything short and utilize weekend as well. My son is ok with what we are doing once he gets used to the routine. He learns better with one on one setting. He is very easily distratced at school so we kind of filling the gap for whatever he is missing from school. He is still reading below grade level so that we continue doing reading instruction on top of reading support he receives from school. Our reading instruction is only 10 minutes a day but will pair with easy reader for another 20 minutes. Then he can read whatever he wants before bedtime. He also needs to practice his violin at least 20-30 minutes per day. This coming Saturday he will have midterm exam for Chinese and we need to spare extra time to review 36 Chinese characters.

beishan: Thank you,  can you please brief me as where to get more info about this Singapore math, FLL, AAS(website)??

I mean are these some classes similar to Kumon, Enopi etc??

If not, how to do follow what to cover with given time of say 3 or 6 month or within a year??

Appreciate your help in this.

Thanks,

Singapore is a math curriculum used in many schools.  They have a website where you can order a lot of different materials.  You can also find some of it on Amazon.com.  I even found some unused workbooks on eBay.

My kids' school uses Singapore's Math In Focus, so I ordered some parallel Singapore materials for my kids, one of whom needs extra practice, and one of whom needs additional challenge.  I ordered their "extra practice" workbooks as well as workbooks for another Singapore program (one that was recommended by SpyCar IIRC).  I also ordered an enrichment workbook for the advanced kid.  And I ordered some word problem workbooks.  They also have more intensive stuff for kids who crave more (mine don't).

The owner of this forum has a lot of books that are used by both homeschoolers and afterschoolers.  I can't tell you anything about those, but you should be able to find a link somewhere around here.

We got our Singapore math books from eBay. We use Standard edition textbook, workbooks and intensive pack to supplement math from school. I do not go through every chapter. I mainly focus on the important units (place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication etc) for longer time in order to secure the foundation. Units like length, clock, money, the math program at school should cover enough. We normally won't be able to get to challenge word problem too much during school year but we will use it in summer as review.

FLL = First Language Lesson

You can get it from Amazon. We dropped it because it mainly done orally and my son is not a good audio learner. But some people do find it sweet and painless.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Language-Lessons-Well-Trained-Mind/dp/1933339446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382722357&sr=8-1&keywords=first+language+lesson

We switched to Growing with Grammer which is worksheet style. It fits better for both of us. We only do 3 sheets per week and mainly on the weekend. My son's school starts teaching grammer from second grade. Growing with Grammer goes well with what they learn at school.

http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/1gwg_Level_2.html

AAS= All about spelling

It is highly recommanded here but we decided not to do it as it is very teacher intensive and has many levels to go through. So far my son's spelling is better than his reading so we still not yet decide if we want to start the spelling program.

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-spelling

SKL : thank you, but I think my kids school don't use Singapore math...If I introduce this, buying books online, doesn't my kid gets confused. I mean they have different method at school, my DS goes to abacus class(weekly once)??

I am not able to get to that links where the owner has posted regarding the books...

Can anyone help me with this??

beishan: Thank you for your reply.

May I know what you mean by telling "It is highly recommanded here'

'Here' in the sense in this forum?? if so where can I find it.(Sorry for asking as I am new to this forum)

I believe a number of people here are using Singapore at home partly because it is different from what is done at school.  I guess they feel it will fill in gaps, or maybe that coming from a different angle will solidify skills better.  I am not sure what I would do if my kids' school used a math program that was not high-quality.  Thankfully I do not have that problem.

You could google the publisher of your kids' school textbooks and see if they have supplemental materials.  I did order some Language Arts workbooks for my kids last year to parallel what they were doing in school.  The publisher offered workbooks for kids below and above grade level.  I was hoping they would help my slower kid get prepared for the school lessons, but it didn't work out as I expected.

You could also check your school's website, as they may have some useful materials available to the parents.

I tried to find a good "new to afterschooing thread" and the one I wanted must be titled something less obvious.  I did however find this one and it may help.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/417578-suggestions-for-2nd-grade-afterschooling/

Another thing to consider for math:

http://www.educationunboxed.com/

Jen's blog on afterschooling:

http://teachingmybabytoread.com/

For what it's worth, it took me a whole year to figure out what methods work for our family and another year to explore and research curriculum.  For us, learning the ins and outs of afterschooling has taken a long time and we are still learning.

Right now I am just doing math fact work, helping her learn the sayings that go with the phonograms and she reads books or gets read to for around an hour daily. I want to add in more math work and reading comprehension exercises. I will probably use WWE for that but only the dictation part not the copywork. Her school does an adequate job of teaching writing and spelling. She doesn't need to do spelling because she a decent speller for her age and she doing good in that area. For science I have lots of science books in the house and I have the Magic School Bus complete dvd collection and Peter Wetherall science videos. For history I have a lot of history books in the house and Liberty Kids for after we cover colonial times. This is for first grade but I imagine it will be similar next year too.