Menu

Galore Park Maths

We used SYRWLM 2 last year after SM6b and now we're using book 3.  The answer books aren't necessary, but I am happy to have them since it makes grading very easy... otherwise I'd have to actually do the problems!  I do like the layout of the books and the work progresses at a pace that fits with my child.  But, I don't honestly think the explanations are nearly as good as Singapore's.  I've taught math in public schools and feel pretty confident to explain things.  When it fits, I have also had her watch AOPS or Kahn academy videos on the topic which she's about to work on.  Also, the word problems aren't nearly as tricky as Singapore CWP either, so you might consider working through CWP or Zaccaro also if you want to make it a bit more challenging.

There seems to be many levels. Junior Maths is for younger kids. Honestly, the word problems are what I am trying to avoid right now. She's working through a lower level cwp than she can handle otherwise in math because her verbal reasoning is not as outstanding as her skills as a VSL. ;)

I bought CGP GCSE and KS3 level math cheap for her to try out. If they don't look good in person, I'll go ahead with SYRWTLM.

Hm, I'm guessing this is an integrated math program? I'll have to put it on my list to consider. How many levels are there?

Junior Maths runs from age 7-10 and So You Really Want to Learn Maths runs from 10-13.  Yes, it's integrated maths - I think America is unusual in splitting out particular topics to do for a whole year.

L

For really good  integrated maths textbooks you might be interested in Elmwood Press. Their KS3 material is tiered, so that for each year (year 7-9, which I believe corresponds to the US grades 6-8) there is a choice of higher, core & support levels, so you can place your child accordingly.  We liked them so much that I've just bought book 8H for the second time after we misplaced our copy.  You'll probably find be able to order them from bookdepository.co.uk who offer free worldwide shipping.

I don't know which CGP books you've ordered, but most CGP materials are revision books sold to supplement in school courses.

For really good  integrated maths textbooks you might be interested in Elmwood Press. Their KS3 material is tiered, so that for each year (year 7-9, which I believe corresponds to the US grades 6-8) there is a choice of higher, core & support levels, so you can place your child accordingly.  We liked them so much that I've just bought book 8H for the second time after we misplaced our copy.  You'll probably find be able to order them from bookdepository.co.uk who offer free worldwide shipping.

I don't know which CGP books you've ordered, but most CGP materials are revision books sold to supplement in school courses.

Darn you :p (I kid, I kid)

That looks really, really good.

Laura, what math text do you recommend to use before igcse math? My younger is not up to igcse level, but I would like to use something now that feeds into the Cambridge exam system. I am looking for the level right below igcse. ( I do not like the NZ math text we are currently using as a spine.) (Sorry for the a small hijack)

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Laura, what math text do you recommend to use before igcse math? My younger is not up to igcse level, but I would like to use something now that feeds into the Cambridge exam system. I am looking for the level right below igcse. ( I do not like the NZ math text we are currently using as a spine.) (Sorry for the a small hijack)

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Well, Calvin's progression was Galore Park maths then straight into GCSE maths, the latter at school.  He was very well prepared, and despite not having a particular talent for maths, sailed through the GCSE.

L

Freerange, are there different books for the higher, core, and support levels?  or are all the levels in the same book?

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Freerange, are there different books for the higher, core, and support levels?  or are all the levels in the same book?

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

There are different books for each level, so for example a bright student would use 7H, 8H, 9H. Within each book the exercises are marked as 'M' or 'E', with the later questions in 'E' exercises being designed to really get them thinking.

It has given DD such a solid foundation that she already knows a good portion of the GCSE material & I'm heavily tweaking our GCSE textbook to give an appropriate amount of challenge.

Can you skip the 7H book and go straight into 8H?  Meaning, if you have most of 7H, will there be enough review in 8H that you could pick up the little leftover bits that you don't know because you came from a different program?

Also, I saw a lot of calculations in the 7H book sample.  Are the exercises written knowing the students will be using calculators? 

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Can you skip the 7H book and go straight into 8H?  Meaning, if you have most of 7H, will there be enough review in 8H that you could pick up the little leftover bits that you don't know because you came from a different program?

Also, I saw a lot of calculations in the 7H book sample.  Are the exercises written knowing the students will be using calculators? 

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Yes, I think you could probably go straight in with 8H under those circumstances.  Some of the exercises expect calculators to be used - they have a little calculator symbol at the side, and I remember a couple where they're told not to use a calculator. GCSE maths normally has 1 paper which allows calculators & 1 paper that is calculator free, so the books reflect that, but if you're aiming for IGCSE & prefer to use a calculator throughout I don't think it would cause any real problems.

Is there enough instruction in the book to help the teacher teach it?  I'm using SM at the moment and we go through the lesson together with ds completing the questions on his own.  I couldn't see the sample for 7H and just wondered whether there would be enough information in the book for me to teach

Stephanie

DD1 liked to work from the book alone & just come to me if there was something she didn't understand. I think the explanations in the book are good but concise. 

Have you tried using a different browser? I have problems with the samples loading in Chrome, but it works fine in Firefox.