Menu

Fustration over Craigslist grrr

BlueTaelon

I am seriously getting frustrated here, we've been looking for a place to live, staying with family has been unpleasant to say the least, down right deadly at worst. (step dad just doesn't grasp I react airborne to peanuts so no he can't eat a peanut butter sandwich if I'm home and yet he doesn't seem to care and a reaction costs ME money in lost work) There isn't a whole lot here to rent in my price range. The paper only comes out weekly and usually only has a couple listings for rentals and its even further away from work. That pretty much leaves me with online listings like Craigslist. I have emailed quite a few people over listings and I NEVER get a response! Is it so hard to take down your ad once its no longer valid? Or to respond and say its no longer available? I'm very polite in asking if its still available and include my phone number but nothing! Were basically homeless at this point so I'm really starting to freak out:(

There are realtors that list rentals.

I know that but I don't make enough to make it through the initial screening. Perfect rental history but with no co-signer or 3x the rent I don't make it past handing it over. They see income and wont even accept it or do an trash it taking my $30-$50 app fee with it. I'm doing the best I can but there isn't really social services here and honestly I've never made more then about 2x the rent. Life was supposed to be better here but so far all I have found is frustration:( My income is above a full time min wage worker and I still don't make enough to find a place, much less a decent one. I found one place but we were not there 2 minutes and came away with multiple flea bits and you could smell the mold, I'd rather live in a tent then a place like that.

I don't know what your options are but:  is there any low-income housing available?  Even to get on a list?  Would Habitat for Humanity be an option?  http://www.habitat.org/getinv/apply.aspx  Could you move to somewhere where these housing choices would be an option?  Do you have a housing account that is untouched where you can save up the money you needed to qualify for a decent rental through a realtor?  Could you buy a trailer and live in a trailer park?  (Which at least would be medically safe for you since you could keep it peanut free.)

:grouphug:

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. I hope you're able to find a new home soon. You must be feeling so frustrated!!!

Beyond frustrated, I'm sick to my stomach from stress:( One of the low incomes is taking apps, hoping to find time tomorrow to get over there. The office is only open 2 days a week for a few hours. Not really conductive to people who work and I can't afford to take anymore times off. I already missed 2 days due to the stomach flu:(

I am seriously getting frustrated here, we've been looking for a place to live, staying with family has been unpleasant to say the least, down right deadly at worst. (step dad just doesn't grasp I react airborne to peanuts so no he can't eat a peanut butter sandwich if I'm home and yet he doesn't seem to care and a reaction costs ME money in lost work) There isn't a whole lot here to rent in my price range. The paper only comes out weekly and usually only has a couple listings for rentals and its even further away from work. That pretty much leaves me with online listings like Craigslist. I have emailed quite a few people over listings and I NEVER get a response! Is it so hard to take down your ad once its no longer valid? Or to respond and say its no longer available? I'm very polite in asking if its still available and include my phone number but nothing! Were basically homeless at this point so I'm really starting to freak out:(

I am a landlord who uses Craigslist.

Yes, there are a LOT of scammers there, or those people posting houses to rent that they don't really have. They merely provide a list of available rentals for a fee.  These scammers should be booted off.

My last applicants said they had a very hard time finding a real landlord and were thrilled to find me.  I write my ads specifically to sound like a real person, and I post my own ads, not those outside ads or postlets or anything else.  I ask the tenant to leave a phone number within the response, and I look for someone who sounds like a real person also.  I will not respond to, "Is the house still available?" alone. 

Just keep looking and be persistent.  If someone hasn't responded to you in two days, move on to new prospects.  There are small time landlords like me who take care of the house like their own, and are extremely responsive.  Our houses go quickly.  My last vacancy was rented within 2 days, with paperwork signed and deposit delivered to me.  The good ones go fast so be diligent and respond quickly. 

If you have points in your favor from a landlord perspective, make sure to mention them in your email (good credit, stable employment, no pets, great landlord references, nonsmoking, etc). 

We always used a realtor to find our rentals because nearly all the landlords were a pain to work with. No showing and not communicating.

Conversely, the only time I used a Realtor to show my available rentals, the Realtor sent me any warm body, not qualified applicants at all.  The Realtor was only interested in the fee, not in finding me a good tenant.  I was sent smokers and pet owners, even after specifically stating that I was interested in neither.  I communicate immediately via email.

I do much better finding tenants myself, and they are happy enough in my houses to stay for many years.   My most recent tenant is 2 years in residence and most are 5+

Damn, that is really frustrating! I really hope you find something soon. Just double and redouble your search efforts. Explore every single possible last venue. Phone books, google search ever last possible search term, try yahoo answers and other question and answer forums, just go all out. Good luck to you.