Menu

S/O (kinda) - kid's snacks- Homemade Yogurt

Um_2_4

So reading the other food/budget thread, many people mention making yogurt and flavoring it. 

I know how to make homemade yogurt and even have access to (relatively) cheap whole milk plain yogurt . I even have these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AP5PJD8/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

So, how do you flavor the yogurt? I have 2 kids with sensory issues, so no bumps or lumps in it (IE no frozen fruit). And they like it thick, so no juice for flavoring. Does jelly or jam work? Do you use an immersion blender?? Wouldn't that make it runny??

What about flavorings (like for baking or candy making)? I know that is artificial, but are there "natural" ones?

Editied to add:

I found these on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Organic-Certified-2-Ounce-Container/dp/B000WR8THC/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1377909780&sr=1-3&keywords=natural+orange+flavor

Or these candy flavorings :http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Candy-Flavoring-1-dram/dp/B00016V20U/ref=pd_sim_gro_6

Has anyone tried something like that?

I put jam or jelly in mine without blending it. Sometimes I put lemon juice and honey.  Other times I put maple syrup in it.  None of these things makes it runny. Some friends of mine put strawberry syrup or brown sugar in theirs. This kind of defeats the purpose of homemade yogurt to me. However it works for them.

I have 2 kids I am really concerned about getting enough calories into, so I would like the option to "bump" up the calories in one batch and leave the other more natural. They all like honey, but never tried it with yogurt....other than smoothies. But DD7 will not drink smoothies (not smooth enough for her, all those strawberry seeds, etc.).

Jam, jelly, extracts, real fruit in the bottom. You will probably need a touch of sugar if you use extracts, otherwise my kids have never complained.

I make whole milk yogurt for the baby and 2% for the rest of us. We flavor it before eating with honey, maple syrup, homemade jam, frozen fruit, applesauce, mashed bananas, pumpkin and sweet potatoes for the baby. You can make fruit purée by cooking fruit with a little sugar (or honey or maple syrup) and lemon juice and blending it up, then pour it through a sieve/strainer to get it perfectly smooth. Or use a food mill if you have one.

I make whole milk yogurt for the baby and 2% for the rest of us. We flavor it before eating with honey, maple syrup, homemade jam, frozen fruit, applesauce, mashed bananas, pumpkin and sweet potatoes for the baby. You can make fruit purée by cooking fruit with a little sugar (or honey or maple syrup) and lemon juice and blending it up, then pour it through a sieve/strainer to get it perfectly smooth. Or use a food mill if you have one.

Hmm....fruit purees... I might try that...maybe baby food (already made???)

I could make 2% for 2 of them and whole for the others...yeah....now to find storage space in the fridge :huh: