Menu

How do you organize your science equipment?

klmama

I have a wide variety of science equipment - microscope, beakers, ring stand, burettes, test tubes, chemicals, dissection supplies, etc. - and storage is a constant challenge.  I would love to have everything handy for labs and exploration (without compromising glassware safety), but I just don't see a place that works.  What do you do?

I have a walk-in closet that is mostly used for storage because we don't own that many clothes.  I also used to teach local science classes for 4th-6th grade, and provided equipment for parts of the science for a local Classical Conversations campus.  I've inherited some from retired homeschool moms. So I have *tons* of science equipment.  

It is stored in three units like these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Cart-Set-of-2/15940590

My drawers are labelled like this: "measuring," "chemicals," "dissecting and microscope," "geology," etc.

One of my summer projects was to go through everything again and get it organized.

I'm using one of those plastic rolling carts with drawers, though I have so much stuff now that I need to expand. I have chemicals in one drawer, glassware in another, biological stuff in a third, and random things in the fourth. The ring stand is in pieces in the random drawer. I keep the microscope in its original box on a storage shelf.

I don't know what I'm going to do with all the physics items I've collected. And all of our rocks and minerals things are in random boxes.

I'm not much help :lol:

We have a built in kitchen desk area.  I store a lot of our science and chemistry equipment in the cabinet above it.  We also have a large bin in the garage with extra science kits and materials that are used less frequently.

Ideally, we'd have a separate building to use as a lab in the backyard!

These are great ideas!  Thanks!  What about burettes?  Have you found a good way to store them where they are easily accessible, but aren't likely to break?  I really want to store all this stuff together, because when something is out of sight (or away from related items), I tend to forget where I put it.

These are great ideas!  Thanks!  What about burettes?  Have you found a good way to store them where they are easily accessible, but aren't likely to break?  I really want to store all this stuff together, because when something is out of sight (or away from related items), I tend to forget where I put it.

I do have one bin under the bed with things wrapped in rags that are more delicate.  It sits next to my bin that has teaching games from my days of local homeschool classes.

I have about 30 large plastic boxes. Each one is labeled by subject such as meteorology, anatomy, light, sound, weights and measures, dissection, thermal, pressure, chemicals, ecology, plants, etc. All experiment supplies for that subject are in one big plastic box. That way, when a particular subject rolls around, I pull out that box and keep it out for the entire chapter. We do a daily science lab so that works best.

I do have a few general purpose supplies like goggles, aprons, and such which have their own box labeled "general". I have another big box labeled "plastics" for pipettes and similar multipurpose stuff. And most breakable glassware has 3 cabinets in the kitchen. I keep a few Bunsen burners here, two, but I rarely use those anymore. The smartest thing I have bought, are big, heavy ring stands which fit right over the gas stove eyes.

As you can guess, sometimes one cannot help having to get into more than one box at a time like when a thermometer found in "heat" box and a scale found in "measurement" box is needed together. At least I know where to find everything. It was a nightmare getting stuff ready before I got smart and organized.