Menu

If you live in N.C.?

Tabrett

I got my e-mail yesterday morning.  My *guess* is that they're sending them out slowly.  Last year there was some kind of glitch where their server got overloaded.  The deadline to reply is November 24, so there's plenty of time.  And of course responding in any way is simply a request and not required.  So no worries.

Have you received anything from DNPE about your intent to maintain your homeschool?

I haven't received anything and don't know what to do.

Am I to get an email or a card in the mail?

You are not required by law to inform DNPE annually of your intent to continue homeschooling. You are only required to notify them when you first begin. So what should you do? Keep homeschooling. The rule of thumb is to never do anything you are not required by law to do.

Personally, if *I* were in NC and I received an e-mail (or the little postcard) asking me if I planned to continue hsing, I'd delete it (or file it in the round file) and never look back.

You are not required by law to inform DNPE annually of your intent to continue homeschooling. You are only required to notify them when you first begin. So what should you do? Keep homeschooling. The rule of thumb is to never do anything you are not required by law to do.

Personally, if *I* were in NC and I received an e-mail (or the little postcard) asking me if I planned to continue hsing, I'd delete it (or file it in the round file) and never look back.

Whew! I only notified them at the beginning and started to panic a bit as I read this thread!

This.  Don't do anything that isn't legally required of you!  I notified DNPE in order to open my homeschool right before my oldest turned 7.  The law requires nothing else.  I got a postcard the first year and it went in the trash.  They don't have my email address (you are not required to give it to them), so I don't get the requests now that they've switched to email.  There is no "deadline".  You aren't legally required to do anything.  It's optional!  Our homeschool is still legal and open until I notify them that we are closing it.  This is why DNPE lists their homeschool numbers as "Estimated Enrollment by Counties" on the website.  You aren't required to check in each year (and most people don't).  DNPE knows this, which is why they openly state that their total homeschool numbers are just estimates.