Menu

Would you buy math mammoth if

mama25angels

Do you like what you have?  Does it work for your kids?  If yes, then I would not purchased anything else.  I have used multiple curricula and found it just makes us more busy.  If it sits on the shelf, then I feel guilty for not using it.

Personally, I was in your position a few years ago.  I believed all the hype about MM and thought it would be a wonderful deal to buy the whole download, have math settled through grade six, and be able to use it for all of the kids.  Excellent economic choice.  NOT!  My kids hated MM with its cluttered pages and small font.  I crossed out problems and such, but it was just very visually repulsive for us.  The content is good, but the presentation was causing my kids to dread math each day.  Now, I am stuck with something I paid over $100 for and cannot resell.

Do you like what you have?  Does it work for your kids?  If yes, then I would not purchased anything else.  I have used multiple curricula and found it just makes us more busy.  If it sits on the shelf, then I feel guilty for not using it.

Personally, I was in your position a few years ago.  I believed all the hype about MM and thought it would be a wonderful deal to buy the whole download, have math settled through grade six, and be able to use it for all of the kids.  Excellent economic choice.  NOT!  My kids hated MM with its cluttered pages and small font.  I crossed out problems and such, but it was just very visually repulsive for us.  The content is good, but the presentation was causing my kids to dread math each day.  Now, I am stuck with something I paid over $100 for and cannot resell.

Probably. :tongue_smilie:

It depends on how much I liked Singapore and ... well, a lot of things. In your case I would buy it on disk during the 50% off sale (couple of more days to go) so that I didn't spend much ($60something) and could resell it.

I would because I love Math Mammoth. However, if you have been happy with Singapore then I would not switch. Though I have noticed if a curriculum keeps calling to me, and it is financially feesible, I am better off going ahead and trying it.

Well, I bought MM on the most recent HSBC sell.  

I kinda wish I hadn't but since it can't be undone, I'm trying to look for the positive in it. :p I will use it for those times when I wish we had more practice on a certain topic.  It'll happen, I'm sure, and I think it'll be great to have it all in one place, easy to find.  No buying cheap-o workbooks at WalMart, no scouring the internet for freebies.  Just open the file & print.

Plus, I have a 2nd child coming up that might like the program as a full curric.  If she does, then it's totally worth the price.  After all, you get 6 grade levels for the price of one SEMESTER of Singapore or BJU... or for the price of one year of Horizons.

So, for the deeply discounted price, I'm telling myself it's worth it, even to not use it as a full curriculum.

The problem is that "I" don't like Singapore, but my Ds does, I don't know if he'd like MM if there is a ton of problems on each page.  I don't know if I have grass is greener syndrome or i'm just needing a curriculum fix, didn't get any boxes this year because we really didn't "need" anything and I might be suffering from withdrawals, lol

I kinda wish I hadn't but since it can't be undone, I'm trying to look for the positive in it. 

If you mean the one that is still ongoing for a couple of more days, I read recently on the site that you can back out so long as you do so before the end of the sale. There was a link to instructions on how to do so.

I kinda wish I hadn't but since it can't be undone, I'm trying to look for the positive in it. :p I will use it for those times when I wish we had more practice on a certain topic.  It'll happen, I'm sure, and I think it'll be great to have it all in one place, easy to find.  No buying cheap-o workbooks at WalMart, no scouring the internet for freebies.  Just open the file & print.

Plus, I have a 2nd child coming up that might like the program as a full curric.  If she does, then it's totally worth the price.  After all, you get 6 grade levels for the price of one SEMESTER of Singapore or BJU... or for the price of one year of Horizons.

So, for the deeply discounted price, I'm telling myself it's worth it, even to not use it as a full curriculum.

You don't think you'll like it?  I do have a second child that would be able to use it, but i'm still on the fence about getting it.

No. But I used MM for a few years, when my baby came along and made it too hard to continue with RightStart, and I really disliked it and my kids hated it, so I'm very biased against it. I wish I had started my kids on Singapore early actually. (Yes, I stupidly used MM for yrs because I was afraid to hop around with math too much, but it was not good for any of us here and I should have switched sooner.)

But different strokes for different folks. Have you printed off a sample to see if your ds likes it before buying it? I would personally be very hesitant to mess with something my kids liked.

You don't think you'll like it?  I do have a second child that would be able to use it, but i'm still on the fence about getting it.

With my oldest, we tried it and it didn't work for her, visually.  Too cluttered.  She liked something with less items/page and more graphics.

And I wanted more teaching/fun from math (hands on activities, games).  So I knew all this when I made the purchase, LOL.... I just had a moment of desperation and panic, haha, and the low price drew me in. :o

I would...because I haver determined MM to be a better fit for my family. Even if I had another math set I would choose MM. If you have Singapore, you like it, your child likes it and you have no reason to switch? Well then no, you don't need it. But if you don't like Singapore...will you continue to teach it? I find that it is as important for me to like a curriculum as my kids...I have to like it to teach it...

If you can afford it, get it. It's a great deal.