Menu

homeschooling struggle

I'm neglecting my 2nd oldest (4th grader) in her studies. We've had 5 weeks of school now and we've done 3 science lessons (supposed to be on #11), 11 grammar lessons (supposed to be around #22), and I've not spent any time with her on history (she listens to the SOTW CD once or twice a week.) Oh, and we've pretty much dropped spelling since the 2nd week. Latin and math are going OK.

Part of the issue is that my oldest is working on Omnibus and that takes up a bit of time, although I'm working to tweak the teacher-intensiveness of it. We get through my K'er's lessons in about 45 minutes first thing in the morning. My two toddlers are doing OK, although the 2yo has a tendency to rummage through the pantry (she can get the lock off the doors) and dump flour, sugar, or pudding mix all over the floor. And then the chickens get out of their fence (little escape artists. :glare:)

Believe it or not, I have a MOH-type schedule all worked out. For the first two weeks, it worked out just fine. I just seem to lose motivation very quickly. Someone gets hurt, poopy diapers need to be changed, and by the time I look up, I have to make lunch and we've missed half the morning. Can I blame it on pregnancy? (No, I really can't; I'm not even nauseous any more.) I feel very guilty, because it's this child who needs the most guidance and extra help with her lessons.

I need motivation. Dd is perfectly happy to neglect her lessons and play with the littles or chase the chickens all day - I've got to get on the ball here.

I was off track all year last year!

It seemed I'd bounce from one to the other, to the third, then realize I was neglecting someone else again!

I'm going to attempt to stay on top of it this year, but sadly I have no advice for you. Just letting you know you aren't alone, and eagerly awaiting advice you recieve.

Part of the issue is that my oldest is working on Omnibus and that takes up a bit of time, although I'm working to tweak the teacher-intensiveness of it.

I would suggest that if the tweaking doesnt' work out in a reasonable amount of time that it this particular curriculum isn't a good match for your oldest or your family style. I know that isn't want you want to hear after purchasing it.

Can you work out your schedule so that you spend the first 20 minutes of the hour with your 4th grader? Then maybe the next 20 with the oldest? That would give you another 20 minutes to dedicate to the youngest.

Well I can speak to the 4th grader while being pregnant thing, and I say it's not going to get any better, only harder. I suggest you reevaluate the materials you're using for her and make her a checklist, a daily work checklist of those subjects, that she can do independently. I know she needs help, but you can even put on it "do handwriting, show to Mommy" or something like that. For the Omnibus, I guess it's too late to pay and get into one of those online classes? Someone on our yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vp_elementary was just saying that you can AUDIT the omnibus class. That might be something at least to keep her going without so much time from you. It doesn't sound like it's really working out for you right now, sorry. But truly, I think if you get the things your 4th grader CAN do onto a daily checklist so she can just plain do them, a lot more will get done. There's no reason why a 4th grader can't read her checklist that says listen to SOTW track 2 then make notebook page and do it. You can't drive everything yourself, you're only human.

As for a toddler in the pantry, well I'm sort of a stickler there, not liking chaos. On the VP yahoo group I linked you to, which is discussing Omnibus now btw, people just a couple weeks ago had some really good suggestions on dealing with toddlers. Those posts would be in the archives.

A couple more suggestions on your 4th grader. If spelling isn't happening, now might be the time to do a calvert spelling cd or a workbook, something she can do totally independently. You didn't mention writing, but I have Wordsmith Apprentice for my dd to start in September, because, again, it's something she can do independently. For her SOTW time, if you want her to do more but don't have time to make it happen, how about History Odyssey, which would give her checklists to follow? On the math, if she does Flashmaster daily for drill, it's going to make things go better when you do have time to do lessons with her. What I did with my dd, following a suggestion from the boards here, was put it on her daily checklist, one blank for each operation, and award beans for each round she completes on it. I have a couple really spiffy prizes if she can ever fill the jar. (She keeps looking for smaller jars, hehe!)

You know the other thing I would do? I would take some time now and get some lesson plans made up for Omnibus. I think it comes with a schedule or something, doesn't it? But I would actually sit down and type out checklists for each week or chapter or whatever. You need to get as much of that independent as possible. I know you'd still have to discuss it, but surely you could punt on some of this. That way, even when you have to participate, at least it's not taking all your brain power to get it going. That will leave more energy for you to work with your 4th grader. Or cut it in 1/2, doing the primary readings this year and secondary next or vice versa.

You're doing a great job, keeping on top of your Kindergartner. If 4th grade Latin and Math are being done consistently, that's a solid foundation. As long as she listens to 2 chapters of SOTW a week, she will get it done this year.

If it were me, I would evaluate grammar and spelling. Do you need to do both Latin and grammar in the same year? Is she a poor speller? Is spelling vital? Of Latin, grammar and spelling, perhaps just two of those each day might be a good fit... at least for now.

Science once a week can work. It might not get you through the curriculum, but remember you are using the curriculum to accomplish your goals, not allowing the curriculum to be the boss, right? Another way to do science is to work on other stuff for six weeks, then take a break and just do science every day for a week or two, like science camp.

As you can tell, I fall into the 'less is more' camp, so if none of the above would work for you, feel free to disregard. :) You have my respect for all you are doing, and it seems too early to declare that you are failing your dd - keep reevaluating, keep working, Mama!

I have started doing 4th grader's spelling and grammar first thing, and then she does math while I work with k'er. This seems to be working out better, and even dd commented today that it seems easier to get her lessons done this way.

I've printed a couple of worksheets for dd to complete that are related to her current SOTW chapter, so that should help; and I've checked out a couple videos and easily read books for her to "supplement." One science lesson a week will have to do it. I think we can even combine a lesson or two here and there.

(I have already decided to drop Omnibus after this year - as much as I love the program. I decided to stick with it this year simply because I have all the materials and it felt too late to make any major changes. Especially w/baby coming, I don't want to rock the boat any more than necessary! We're going to try TOG next year - I think it will be as strong a program as Omnibus, but will help keep us at least a little more coordinated. The thought of eventually teaching 3 different Omnibus levels at once made my head spin! But I may purchase the texts anyway and use as a supplement here and there. There's just so much good stuff in them! But I digress.)

My littler ones aren't that much of an issue; it is just a matter of normal life happening, and my main problem is that I have a hard time dealing with even small interruptions. For that, I think I simply need to learn patience and perseverance. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks again.

I have an idea. If you feel like you've short changed one child on a certain day you could always start the next day focusing on that child first. Then move onto the other children. I've had to make a concentrated effort on my second son after realizing I had been putting him on the back burner as far as his studies go.

Jackie

I 2nd the motion for having the oldest help the k'er while you work with 4th grader! My oldest has helped my youngest with her Singapore math off and on this summer. He's very good in Geometry, and that's what she's been working on. It's worked out very well, though it happened less than I would've liked to to, because life interferred with my plans (how rude! :glare:) But it can strengthen the bond with them, and is good for both of them!

I'm amazed at how much you're dong right now! Don't get discouraged, it happens! Your kids are still learning a lot, just not the way you planned they would! :001_smile:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Where do you find worksheets for SOTW? Thanks

Oh, she's on the chapter in SOTW 3 about the pilgrims and Mayflower, so I'm using some of the maps/worksheets from the free sample TOG unit on the colonies. I'd say the best place to find worksheets would be the SOTW activity guide (I don't have it for vol. 3).

You don't write how much older your oldest is. I agree with some others that certain programs can be too much depending on your circumstances. In my case, I couldn't handle Sonlight with three children at widely different ages/stages. I couldn't do two cores and keep a toddler occupied. Later on, I tried TOG with two and that worked until we got medical problem after medical problem. I know that when I had a highschooler, a fifth grader, and a first grader, I spent my time mostly with the highschooler and the first grader. Fifth grader listened to SOTW, and first grader listened to fifth grader's science. Fifth had me to help with math, English, Spelling. She did extra history by herself. That was five years ago so this is my best memory. The highschooler had me help him with math, and do discussions in history and literature. I helped in French when needed.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I'm planning on using selections from Omnibus this year (the ones that match up with the WTM 6th grade reading list). The schedule I'm working with now assumes that we will discuss the readings in the evening when DH is home. DH and I will be reading the same material (though not necessarily at the same time) and this will constitute at least part of our dinner conversation. We often listen to audio books as a family during or after dinner anyway so this isn't a completely foreign idea for our household.