Menu

English/Grammar-Is there something similar to Rod and Staff?

I am looking for a complete English program that is similar to Rod and Staff but ISN"T Rod and Staff-

I was thinking about using Analytical Grammar, but I want something that includes proper english/grammar (example who, or whom) punctuation etc.

Does something like this even exist?

I haven't found anything that meets our needs as well. We are very, very secular, so we just skip some questions or entire sets of questions. The good thing about R&S is that there is more than we care to use, so skipping over the religious sentences cuts it down to size quite well.

You might want to look at Hake grammar. That seems to be the most popular secular grammar option for those looking to avoid R&S.

I feel your pain. There was much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in this house over grammar choices.

Bob Jones is not as bad. It covers what R&S does but at a bit slower pace because the books go through 12th grade, not 10th. It is easy to teach but $$$ even without distance learning.

I have often considered rewriting R&S to be secular or less religious over the years but it is copyrighted. SIGH!

WTM suggests Voyages in English. It is $$$ though, too.

Hake is a great option IF your kids do well with spiral like Saxon math spiral. Mine do not so finding an alternate later is going to be a bear.

We just got Abeka grammar workbooks in the mail today. We did R&S 2 last year, and I heard that the religious aspect got better in 3, but I found it to grate on me a lot more. We did 6 weeks of R&S 3, and I ordered Abeka. It is a workbook format, it is still Christian, but I am hoping it won't bother me as much.

ETA: Oh, so sorry! I just realized this was in the logic stage forum, and we definitely aren't logic stage. I was afraid that was going to happen if I read them via View All Content I'm following. Disregard!

How about Climbing to Good English- I found it easier than Rod and Staff to teach, yet it seems to be about the same rigor as Rod and Staff.

What ages have you used?

Did you feel like your kids retained it well?

Does it include diagramming?

Sorry to pelt you with questions. :) I started out with CTGE but dropped it in part because I couldn't find any btdt reviews. I would love to hear any info you could add.

We did gr. 1, 4, and 5.

Gr. 1 is just phonics review, spelling, making simple sentences that are complete and written correctly, and some short stories to complete (2-4) sentences based on picture. Ds 6 finished it in one semester. 

Grade 4 and 5 are fairly self explanatory that we could follow for the most part and usually we did not need TM (other then for grading tests or figuring out some of the diagraming- I am terrible at it so I needed help explaining it). Instructions for writing assignments were very well explained.

The only reason I changed this year because ds needs more help with writing portion. He does not do well with "write a research report on animal/country/person from blank even if there is many sections and subsections and samples how it is done. This year we are trying WWS level 1 and see how he does with it.  I do have CTGE grade 6 ready just in case WWS does not work.

I hope it makes sense.

I am looking for a complete English program that is similar to Rod and Staff but ISN"T Rod and Staff-

I was thinking about using Analytical Grammar, but I want something that includes proper english/grammar (example who, or whom) punctuation etc.

I would second Analytical Grammar. It is secular and includes lessons on punctuation and usage.

The only downside is that AG is expensive. If you want a cheaper, secular option, you can get Warriner's used on Amazon (older editions of what CrimsonWife linked will be way cheaper).

Another secular option is the Good Grammar Set from Walch. Even if you get just the first book in the set, Steps To Good Grammar, you can cover a lot of what AG covers.

I'm really loving AG this year for my 8th grader. It's quick and to the point. I also love the philosophy that once u know it there's no reason at alto keep drilling it, just keep it fresh with review. I like that you can do it all in 1 year or pace it out over 2 or 3 years. Anyway it's totally do-able, mostly independent, and gets done!

We're in the same boat - I like the solid instruction that R&S gives, but all the religion in it drives me NUTS!

Right now we're using just the R&S 2 TM as a guide, and I copy onto the dry erase board with liberal edits to remove religious content. DD never reads from the actual book or the TM - just what is on the board. I know there is probably something else out there that would work better with less work, but I already have R&S so I am trying to make it work for the sake of our budget.

We tried CTGE last year for 1st, and it had WAY too much phonics review for us. We quickly pulled it and did nothing.