Menu

Fly invasion

MomtoCandJ

Find the source...

Outdoors? An improperly managed compost pile? A dead critter someplace? Livestock someplace? A random sack of trash abandoned someplace?

Check under your mower deck. We've had flies breed in the wet grass stuck underneath it.

Fly swat is a pretty good option, but those sticky fly ribbons work really well too, even though they are gross. We hang them from a light and leave the light on at night. The light attracts the flies and they get stuck to it.

Last year we had a terrible infestation. I got really good at killing the suckers. Most of ours are from our cows.

Guest submarines

This happened to me about a year ago. It was sudden and horrifying. Hundreds of flies in our tiny house. I sent the kids upstairs, and used rolled up newspapers for swatting. It was gruesome. I killings were done in about 20 minutes, and then the cleanup started. We never found the source and it hasn't happened since. 

Good luck. 

Here too. I have never dealt with such an infestation and what's making it worse is the number of pets we have.  No longer can I go every 2-3 days cleaning cages, it must be daily or they are filled with maggots.  I am using fly paper hanging in key points and it is catching tons.  I have been switching the fly paper out weekly for the last coupld weeks and I am seeing less and less in the house and on the paper, but I have a feeling I will just have to wait for the season to be over.  Last night I walked outside and a whole exterior window and around it was just swarming with them, like I would say 50-100 flies on the outside, so I know it is an outside source and they are getting in, but don't know for sure the source.  I can handle most bugs but flies in my house ick me out, they are such dirty things and all over everything

I bet they are cluster flies.  We had a invasion here two years ago.  Even got my OCD cleaning lovable neighbor.  We used the electric tennis racket on them and I bought this thing from garden supply to fight them.  It worked in the end or they moved elsewhere.   I also made sure every screen was tight to help keep them out.

Just about every June we get a housefly invasion.  I have never been able to find the source, although I suspect somewhere in the garage..  Sometimes we use the icky fly paper.  Mostly I swat with rolled up magazine and I trained the dog to go after them.  He is a pretty good fly catcher.  Then I wash the windows at the end of the day because they are full of dog slobber from him gobbling up flies.  It usually lasts a couple of days and then it is over.

I bet they are cluster flies.  We had a invasion here two years ago.  Even got my OCD cleaning lovable neighbor.  We used the electric tennis racket on them and I bought this thing from garden supply to fight them.  It worked in the end or they moved elsewhere.   I also made sure every screen was tight to help keep them out.

We often get flies in the summer. This year, dh got me one of those electric swatters that look like a tennis racked and it is soooo awesome. *Funny aside: DH got it from a coworker and his boss asked what it was. He told her and said that it was my birthday gift and she told him he better be getting me something else too or he'd be in a lot of trouble. Nope! I think it's the best gift ever because I HATE flies and being able to knock them dead in the air is awesome!*  

But funny thing is that since he got me that in July, we've had no flies this year except fruit flies.  So I'm being far less fussy about the compost going out because I enjoy placing the racket over the bowl and tapping it just to zap dozens of little flies instantly. I'm way too easily amused.

I wanted to praise the device for anyone considering one - they're great even if I haven't had our usual fly population to test it on.