Menu

Who's doing Wee Folk Art Fall Harvest Curriculum

lea_lpz

We're doing it w/ my younger 2.  A supplement for ds7, and the main thing for dd4. 

This is the link: http://weefolkart.com/content/homeschool-companion-guides

We did the spring guide last spring and I really look forward to doing the fall one!  We'll also start after labor day, maybe we could check in about how things are going once in a while?  I'll follow this topic, in any case.

We're doing it w/ my younger 2. A supplement for ds7, and the main thing for dd4.

This is the link: http://weefolkart.com/content/homeschool-companion-guides

We're doing the same, so yes it would be fun to keep in touch! This is my ds, 4, core and enrichment for my dd, 6.

We just did the 1st 5 weeks of ponds and puddles over summer and learned a lot as well as had fun with that :)

We did the spring guide last spring and I really look forward to doing the fall one! We'll also start after labor day, maybe we could check in about how things are going once in a while? I'll follow this topic, in any case.

OK, I bought the first four weeks worth of books. Knowing me, it'll last six. :-P We have so much to do!

I'm doing this "mainly" with dd nearly 5, because otherwise she gets lost in the shuffle. I'm sure my older kids (6 and 8) will join in because they love picture books.

We may end up doing some drawing from graphics from the picture books.

We all love craftiness, so I think it'll be a hit. 

Maybe we'll do it after lunch.

Sigh. Starting tomorrow, which still needs planning and printing.

I also am doing RightStart A (which I did with my older two, also) as part of a co-op, and Bear Essentials reading, which includes handwriting. I just can't stick to one phonics program. I think we'll then transition to IEW's beginning reading/writing program, which I own.

Emily

OK, I bought the first four weeks worth of books. Knowing me, it'll last six. :-P We have so much to do!

I'm doing this "mainly" with dd nearly 5, because otherwise she gets lost in the shuffle. I'm sure my older kids (6 and 8) will join in because they love picture books.

We may end up doing some drawing from graphics from the picture books.

We all love craftiness, so I think it'll be a hit.

Maybe we'll do it after lunch.

Sigh. Starting tomorrow, which still needs planning and printing.

I also am doing RightStart A (which I did with my older two, also) as part of a co-op, and Bear Essentials reading, which includes handwriting. I just can't stick to one phonics program. I think we'll then transition to IEW's beginning reading/writing program, which I own.

Emily

That's why we are doing it. I feel like it is perfect for my 4 year old so that we are working on some skills to specifically get ready for k and activities / picture books targeted to him. So far, doing ponds & puddles, I have been very happy with each book selection. My 6 year old also enjoys doing WFA.

Thank you for posting this, I hadn't seen it before. It really speaks to me and I am going to add it to our kindergarten line-up. I hope that I can find all of the books at my library. These ideas are similar to what I like to do anyway to mark the seasons and make memories with the kids. And this is all planned out for me with the books already chosen. I am getting really excited! We will start this next week as long as the books come in time. :)

ETA: Fall comes quickly and doesn't last long here. I may need to rearrange some of the lessons to catch the apples and the leaves at the right time. Anyone else in the same boat?

ETA: Fall comes quickly and doesn't last long here. I may need to rearrange some of the lessons to catch the apples and the leaves at the right time. Anyone else in the same boat?

Last year we went in October to a local apple or hard and found out that U-pick only ran through September. We could buy apples, tour the orchard, and get stuff from their deli and bakery, but no apple picking. So, we'll be possibly starting out with apples. I'll need to call them :)

Last year we went in October to a local apple or hard and found out that U-pick only ran through September. We could buy apples, tour the orchard, and get stuff from their deli and bakery, but no apple picking. So, we'll be possibly starting out with apples. I'll need to call them :)

Yeah, the apples here are usually done by the end of Sept. I think. And the leaves don't last too far into October. I may end up doing weeks 1 and 2 (just b/c the books are already requested through ILL), then the apples, then the leaves, then go back to finish the rest. Oh, I may need to move the farmer's market one too since there are no farmer's markets open after the end of Oct. and they really start dwindling down before then. Hmmm. For that one, I could probably just do the field trip at a different time and leave the rest of the books and crafts where they are.

I've always wanted to do Wee Folk Art and was waiting until this fall for ds to be a little older. I had forgotten all about it (we had a big move this summer and I've basically lost my mind), and I just came to this board because I knew I was forgetting something for ds. So glad you posted this! We'll start it next week with dd's school. I'm sure my dd6 will LOVE this as well. So excited!

Has anyone seen what the difference is between the new and older version? I just printed out the old version. Lol. I'm dng this with my 3 year old twins, and I'm sure my 6 year old will join in too.

I'm going to do the apple week next week, our local orchard will have honey crisp then!

We're doing apples this week. I happen to have lots of apples right now so will be able to do the apple prints and breaf easily, but'll go ahead and go this Sunday to do our apple orchard for the opening week of u pick as a family. We went last year and were disappointed to find out that although they had apples the u-pick and tours were done :(

So we are starting with Apples and doing the Johnny Appleseed poem first :)

Considering moving the fall produce week later so my farmers market carries more winter squash. Right now it is still in the '90's and feels like summer. Fall won't kick in until mid-October. We don't have fall leaves yet either :)

• 3 weeks later...

So during our apple week, it was wicked hot and there was no way I was going out to pick apples in 100 degree weather in my first trimester. It hasn't felt much like fall yet but we went ahead and started Wee Folk Art Havest and did the apple unit and the fall harvest (vegetables) unit, but skipped the apple orchard field trip and did go to farmers market but since it is still very much summer here, they didn't have any of the fall produce our yet so. Well today, on Sept. 21, we had our first fall day. The day was cool and foggy. Farmers market had fall produce out. Darn, we got there late so rushed but next week I plan to go with enough time to take pics and let my kids explore the fall produce and buy some, weather permitting, to cook for the week! I'm so excited!

We decided to go ahead and go to the u-pick farm today and it was a lovely experience. We were able to pick apples in nice cool, crisp weather and I even stopped to enjoy a pumpkin spice latter and carrot cake muffin in the way there. We got about 40 apples (they've eaten some) and if the cooling trend continues, looks like we can enjoy some baking and canning apple sauce and apple butter without cooking this week.

I love fall, can you tell? Lol. Glad we can start rolling into this unit with season behaving more appropriately :)

We will probably do apples this week. I picked up several varieties so we can do a taste test and also picking up a few bushels to make our applesauce for the year as well.

We're still finishing up 'Leaves' as well since the library did a special science program on leaves last week. I was worried it was too early at first because trees are just now changing, but it's been better doing it as the change is happening because they're now even more aware of it and watching more closely than simply observing after most changes have already been made.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...