Menu

How long does Netflix record dates of viewing history?

DawnM

My Netflix is showing that someone in our household watched something I personally wouldn't approve of for kids or teens.  However, it isn't in my "viewing history" it is just showing that 3 episodes were watched so I assume it was a while ago.

Is there any way to find out the date it was watched?  I will be talking to my kids today and checking their new personalized profile viewing history more carefully, and it is entirely possible DH watched it. I sent him am email asking.   (it isn't horrible, but just not what I would want them watching.)

Dawn

Thanks.  It isn't a huge deal really as far as finding out the date, but I do need to get to the bottom of WHO watched it.  I just thought it might be helpful to have a time frame.

Dawn

It looks like I can only go back about a week or two for the actual dates something was watched. 

I've called Netflix before with a question and they are surprisingly customer friendly.  Perhaps a live person can check it for you.

Just so you know we've had things show up as having been watched that we know without a doubt were not watched by anyone in our house. Like you, I was trying to figure out who had watched but then we discovered that the time it was watched there was no one physically able to watch (we were all church). So the recently viewed is not always accurate.

Oh, you can look at your viewing history!

Go to "Your Account", then "Viewing Activity"

That gives you a dated list of everything that has been viewed for the last few months. I'm not sure if there is a way to go back further. My list goes back to April.

This is very handy for checking on kids' viewing.

Soon after first beginning to leave my 2nd eldest (then 12) home alone with my youngest (then about 8), I had to leave town suddenly for a couple days b/c my mom was ill, plus I had to leave town for 3 days to take my older (more responsible) daughter to an All State Orchestra thing . . . anyway, there were 3-4 hour periods nearly daily that the two munchkins were home alone between sitters and Dad getting home from work. I got suspicious about their viewing (not allowed) while I was gone, and I discovered the account history option.

The little twits had put on Netflix (some idiotic TV show) the very moment that responsible adults/older sis left the house, and would cut it off the moment we returned. (Got a lot of suspicious calls asking what time I'd be home that month). I figured out they'd watched FORTY HOURS of Netflix in a 10 day period. They never lived it down, and are still banned from watching that silly show ever again. ;)

LOL, the history used to go back further, so you might be able to access older history, too. 

I tried the your account and viewing activity before writing this thread.

Mine only seems to go back a few weeks, not months.

It isn't showing up in my viewing history at all.  The only reason I know it was viewed is because I happened to click on the show and it shows season 4 viewing of two episodes.

Honestly, I think it might be what some of you are suggesting, random.  It shows something like "Episode 3 of Season 4, 22 minutes out of 49 viewed" and then "Episode 6 of Season 4, 35 minutes of 49 viewed."

It just doesn't seem to fit someone actually watching the show.

I talked to my husband and he said he may have watched a little of it several months back when a friend at work recommended it to him but that happens periodically, someone recommends a show to him and he watches a few episodes and doesn't like it.

But then I told him it was like two episodes of season 4, not even the beginning of the show and he said he definitely wouldn't have done that.

So, who knows. 

Hmmm... with all these random episodes showing up in people's histories: Is is possible that some kind of account hacking is going on? Kind of like when someone in your neighborhood uses your home internet account illegally.

We have never had this happen, but I hope not. Is there a way to protect your account? Similar to how you protect your internet?

I tried the your account and viewing activity before writing this thread.

Mine only seems to go back a few weeks, not months.

It isn't showing up in my viewing history at all.  The only reason I know it was viewed is because I happened to click on the show and it shows season 4 viewing of two episodes.

Honestly, I think it might be what some of you are suggesting, random.  It shows something like "Episode 3 of Season 4, 22 minutes out of 49 viewed" and then "Episode 6 of Season 4, 35 minutes of 49 viewed."

It just doesn't seem to fit someone actually watching the show.

I talked to my husband and he said he may have watched a little of it several months back when a friend at work recommended it to him but that happens periodically, someone recommends a show to him and he watches a few episodes and doesn't like it.

But then I told him it was like two episodes of season 4, not even the beginning of the show and he said he definitely wouldn't have done that.

So, who knows. 

Bummer! We don't use Netflix all that much, having largely switched to Amazon lately, so I'm guessing the viewing history just has a certain number of items in it, maybe 100, or whatever, so if you use it more, then the history would be shorter. 

If you are really determined to figure it out, you could email support and ask. They might be able/willing to give you a complete history. 

Otherwise, if you just are nervous about a child inappropriately viewing things on Netflix, then you could start checking the history more frequently (as I did after our infamous Netflix Fiasco detailed above), but I eventually have resigned myself to the fact that all the "bad" stuff is readily available at untrackable sites like Youtube, hulu, etc, in addition to Netflix, so I focused my energies on a more overall internet security approach. (Keeping the access to internet in public areas of the house, using OpenDNS to block really bad stuff, etc). A friend actually would cut off their internet when she left the house, and other friends have taken cables/etc when they left the house . . . There are a million approaches, none of which is foolproof, but at the end of the day, the stuff on Netflix is tame compared to what ELSE is out there. . . 

(((hugs))) I really feel for you. BTDT.

Now that we have separate profiles, I will check more.

However, they truly have never given me a reason to think they are doing anything inappropriate on TV viewing or online.   I know to some that may sound like I am a clueless mom, but really, I do trust them in this area, but do check things periodically.

Dawn

Bummer! We don't use Netflix all that much, having largely switched to Amazon lately, so I'm guessing the viewing history just has a certain number of items in it, maybe 100, or whatever, so if you use it more, then the history would be shorter. 

If you are really determined to figure it out, you could email support and ask. They might be able/willing to give you a complete history. 

Otherwise, if you just are nervous about a child inappropriately viewing things on Netflix, then you could start checking the history more frequently (as I did after our infamous Netflix Fiasco detailed above), but I eventually have resigned myself to the fact that all the "bad" stuff is readily available at untrackable sites like Youtube, hulu, etc, in addition to Netflix, so I focused my energies on a more overall internet security approach. (Keeping the access to internet in public areas of the house, using OpenDNS to block really bad stuff, etc). A friend actually would cut off their internet when she left the house, and other friends have taken cables/etc when they left the house . . . There are a million approaches, none of which is foolproof, but at the end of the day, the stuff on Netflix is tame compared to what ELSE is out there. . . 

(((hugs))) I really feel for you. BTDT.