Menu

S/O of leaving kids in car. . . do you think 10 is too young?

Alicia64

I don't understand why a child of ten would go with shopping but not into the store? I guess I just don't get the question. Isn't the purpose companionship?

In our case, it might be because we're on our way to/from somewhere and going to the grocery store is sooooooo boring and a fate worse than math for her. Granted, these are quick trips, 15 min or so. Any longer that and the boredom of waiting in the car would outweigh the boredom of shopping with me :)

I've known my kids at age 11 and 7 to get tired of waiting in the car, get out, and walk home.  My older has a cell phone and can just text me. 

Sometimes they don't want to shop.  They have books or are playing a card game. But if I am gone too long, then they get bored.  Sometimes I take longer than I thought.  Sometimes they are tired from swimming or they are wet.  Sometimes they need to deal with a dead fish from their fishing trip.  Sometimes I make them *clean* the car while I am in the store.  Really, there are lots of possibilities.

It just seems so weird that people are talking about leaving kids in parked, locked cars.  My kids were walking *by themselves* across a CITY of 400,000 at age 8.  And my ds is not alone; there are city kids walking or taking public transport to school every morning starting at the age of 7 or 8. Who cares about a parked, locked car.  I agree with a pp, don't live your life in fear.  Obviously, it depends on where you live, but really, get the actual statistics rather than just the newspaper!

Ruth in NZ

People do a lot of things that aren't necessarily a good idea.  People get drunk and drive anyway.  People give alcohol to minors and think nothing about it.  Just because more than one person on here let their child drive a car at age 10, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.  You all act like there is no reason that people are not supposed to drive until they are 16.

I gather you haven't read the replies stating that in many areas, it's perfectly legal to allow your child to drive on your private property. Regarding alcohol, it's perfectly legal in my state to give YOUR OWN child alcohol, at any age, in your private residence.

You seem to not be taking into consideration that laws regarding these things vary greatly.

I'm so confused.

I responded to this thread yesterday, but now my response is gone. There also seem to be some other missing responses. Glitch or did someone delete them for some reason?

I thought that happened to me too, but it turns out there are 2 threads with this same title ... here's the other one ...

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/484868-so-of-leaving-kids-in-car-do-you-think-10-is-too-young

I would not leave my 10yo alone in a car while I went into a store. However, the law in TX says its OK:

Leaving a child unattended in a car is aa crime that is punishable under the Texas Penal Code, Title 5, Chapter 22, Section 10:

Sec. 22.10. LEAVING A CHILD IN A VEHICLE. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly leaves a child in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes, knowing that the child is:

(1) younger than seven years of age; and

(2) not attended by an individual in the vehicle who is 14 years of age or older.

An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Susan in TX

I would not leave my 10yo alone in a car while I went into a store. However, the law in TX says its OK:

Leaving a child unattended in a car is aa crime that is punishable under the Texas Penal Code, Title 5, Chapter 22, Section 10:

Sec. 22.10. LEAVING A CHILD IN A VEHICLE. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly leaves a child in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes, knowing that the child is:

(1) younger than seven years of age; and

(2) not attended by an individual in the vehicle who is 14 years of age or older.

An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Susan in TX