Menu

Canine Science & Veterinary Medicine for logic stage?

I need help planning my 7th grader's elective. He wants to do "Dog Science"; sort of a Canine Science/Veterinary Medicine course, but on a middle school level.  I've got a home-made rough syllabus outline based on the TOC of an Equine Science book I was able to look at, but I'm not sure what to use to flesh it out.  I don't mind putting together my own thing or using something wholly or partially pre-made (or multiple things to fulfill multiple points in the syllabus).  I'm looking for either canine- or veterinary-specific resources.  I have a few bits and pieces - websites, an online game from AMVA, etc.  - but that is just "gravy".   I need something "meaty" for the spine of this course.  Any ideas?  I keep finding either very young elementary books or college level texts, but not much in between.

Do you know if there is an open course ware class online for this?  Is there something similar to what the American Chem. Society puts out for middle schoolers?  Is there a related course offered by The Teaching Co. (Great Courses) that you know of readily?  I'll continue researching, but if anyone knows of anything or has any ideas, please let me know.

I'll be calling my local University to ask if they have any programs relating to this.  I doubt it, since they don't have medical or veterinary programs at the local campus, but it's worth a try.  If there is a week-long (or similar) opportunity elsewhere in the state I'd be willing to travel for a short-term program.  I'll also be calling local vets for ideas and also for mentorship opportunities (mini-internship, though that makes it sound like more than what it really is) & to schedule interviews/tours for projects. 

Any help is much appreciated; thank you!

OH yes, I've been googling & finding a lot more, but no concise core text, really.  I'm just going to have to stick with the outline of the course & fill it in as I find things.  Thanks for the links, Shannon!  The 4-H Dog books are one of just a few things that come close to being a core (or "spine").  Alison, yes, that one is in my Netflix queue with quite a few other dog movies. 

One person IRL told me about an AgriScience & Technology and Companion Animals textbook by Prentice Hall/Pearson.  That's not the exact title, but I know it's close.  From the bits I've been able to find online, it's more specific to animal care & animal science than than canines.  I get to review it in person on Wed., so we'll see.  My son will be doing a regular 7th grade science course and this dog/vet. med. thing is something he chose as an elective, so I'm not concerned with covering as wide a scope as this book does.

How about books like the Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (more traditional), and Natural Health for Dog's and Cats (more holistic).  Both are written for lay owners and are not very hard reading level.  Together they give a good overview of many subjects pertinent to canines and veterinary.

Landry Academy has an animal care science course for the logic stage and they use - Rural Teens & Animal Raising Large and Small Pets by Joyce Libal.  They also have Introduction to Veterinary Medicine I and II, which is listed for 8th-12th grades.  They use - Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians (4th edition)

ISBN 0-7216-2196-1

• Like 1

I think picking the 'dog' chapters out of the companion animal book would be pretty reasonable, especially for a 7th grader. Most books I've seen treat dogs/cats together but honestly he could just read the dog/cat chapter and forget about the bits that pertain to cats if he wants.

• 1 year later...