Menu

Moms with experience with bee/wasp allergies - ?

Tenaj

This is new territory for me.  My 15yods has been doing a lot of landscaping/outdoor work for neighbors this and over the past few months has been stung a total of three times - two of the times by bees, one time by an unknown insect.  All three times, the sting swelled in a huge welt - three or more inches across for a few days and we watched them carefully and then they would go down.  

Last night, he was mowing at our church and stirred up a yellow jacket nest.  He was stung two times, once on the ear and once on the lower leg.  I wasn't with him but according to my older son, the ear swelled up to twice it's size almost immediately and the leg formed a welt about 3 x 4 inches.  Over the next 15 minutes or so, he broke out in hives and they headed straight home which takes about 30-45 minutes.  By the time he got home, the swollen ear had gone down a lot but the hives were still bright red all over his stomach, back, arms and legs.  I immediately gave him Benedryl and within an hour everything was definitely fading except for the actual bite sites.

Anyway, my question is, does this warrant a trip to the dr. to discuss what may happen the next time?  He didn't experience any swelling of the throat this time but my concern is the obvious ramping up of the symptoms.  Am I right in thinking he may need to start carrying an epi-pen or am I being more alarmist than I should be?

Thanks for any experience or advice.

Yes.  My dd was stung by wasps two times before she became anaphalactic to them.  The first time swelling maybe a little bit more than normal.  Second time, swelling much larger than normal and we went to an urgent care where she was given antibiotics (for what was appearing to be an infection) and told to take Benadryl.  Third time, she ended up with a full blown anaphalactic reaction.

Though it doesn't always turn into anaphylactic reactions. My mum has had a bad reaction to stings her entire life. If she gets stung on her hand her entire arm will swell for example. But they never turn anaphylactic. She is just in recent years finding that antihistamines actually work to stop it properly (combo of her taking them in a timely manner and I guess an improvement in options) and she is 72.

Wasp (yellow jacket) stings can go from minor to emergency in just a few stings. An escalating reaction each time he has been stung is a good reason for a trip to the doctor. Getting an epi pen is easy - our doctor didn't hesitate when we told him about the progression in reactions. He began writing the 'script as we spoke. Much better to be safe rather than sorry.

I called his pediatrician and they didn't even want to take the time to see him but sent him straight to an allergist.  His appointment isn't until September 3 which worries me because it's the height of yellow jacket season around here but at least he's on the way to getting help.

Thanks for all the advice.

I called his pediatrician and they didn't even want to take the time to see him but sent him straight to an allergist.  His appointment isn't until September 3 which worries me because it's the height of yellow jacket season around here but at least he's on the way to getting help.

Thanks for all the advice.

Is your pediatrician willing to prescribe two Epi-Pens while you are awaiting the allergist appointment.  I would ask for that.  Please also remember that if he does use the Epinephrine then he should activate EMS/ go to the ED.  Further treatment is often needed.

Is your pediatrician willing to prescribe two Epi-Pens while you are awaiting the allergist appointment.  I would ask for that.  Please also remember that if he does use the Epinephrine then he should activate EMS/ go to the ED.  Further treatment is often needed.

I was wondering about this today.  I told him to make sure that he has Benedryl with him in the meantime but I think I will call back to the peds tomorrow to ask about this.  

This morning he was helping our elderly neighbor in her yard when they found a huge wasp nest in one of her bushes - he could have easily been stung again and the appointment is a long two weeks away . . . 

Thanks for the advice about the EMS/ED.