Menu

quiet times

Those of you who have quiet times after lunch, even for older children, what activities to they do during this time? Nothing associated with school? Books, but not texts? Catch ups schooling? Art? Listen to Music? Or, what do you not allow?

I feel we need a break away from each other and probably from the more strenuous schooling. I used to give short breaks between classes in which she could text, check email, etc. but I would like to try the longer time instead. I don't plan on texting being an option during the longer period.

Our library has Play a ways and I have the kids each pick out a couple. They are like books on cd only they are kinda mp3 type players. They can listen to that, read, color, play legos or rest but they have to be in there rooms and quiet. Its a nice time to catch a nap with the baby for me too.

Mine can do anything they choose, so long as they are quiet, and in their rooms. Of course, since they do not have computers or tvs in ther rooms, some things are automatically out. We do have books on tape--we really love the Playaways another poster mentioned. Mine generally end up coloring/drawing, reading, or playing lego/playmobil.

my kids can do anything they want as long as it's in their room, by themselves and it's quiet....but just like the PP, they don't have any TV's in their rooms, they don't own any electronical devices other than their mp3 players (which are fine)...if they have school work to finish that is required first....my 2 older kids practice their extra instruments during this time as well.

We all just need a break from eachother...and a time to just sort of be. Everyone feels better when resttime happens...even if they fight going in.

We have about an hour of quiet time after lunch. My oldest usually plays games on the iPad and my youngest bounces between playing with toys and playing on the computer. Sometimes, during the school year, I will have my oldest do a little school before I give her the iPad.

It doesn't bother me that they park their butts and play on the computer or iPad. These girls are non-stop from the moment they wake (5:30/6am) to the second we put them to bed (9/10pm) :laugh: !

I tried this... I can't figure out how to get the 3 and 5 y.o. to be 'quiet' in their room (they share)- somebody ends up picking a fight or crying or screaming or throwing loud toys around. All across the hall from the sleeping baby... :glare: so they watch a movie/tv thing for an hour - hour and a half while baby naps. It's the only way to keep them quiet. 7 yo plays outside or in his room well. I don't rest, however! I use it to catch up on things. Which means I should probably get off the computer now!

Quiet time is a must in our house! We work/play hard in the morning, eat our big meal with DH at lunch (works nights), and by then everyone is so worn out many bad attitudes ensue :cursing:

DD5 rests in her own room.

DS4 rests on the couch (he shares with the toddler).

DS1 sleeps in his crib.

The 4-year-old will often fall asleep on the couch, and I can either take a nap myself or fold laundry or something.

DD usually listens to her audiobook and plays quietly in her room with playmobils, paperdolls, coloring, keva planks, or sometimes a combination of all of those.  Sometimes she'll read if she's in the middle of a good book.  Occasionally I'll make her start her quiet time with half an hour of reading but she complains that it's unfair of me to do that because once she starts reading she won't want to put her book down.   *Evil mother laugh*

My oldest two are free to do anything they want as long as they are quiet and stay downstairs.  They generally read, but sometimes they write in their journals or draw.

My kindergartner stays in her bedroom.  She usually looks at books or plays quietly with her dollhouse or other toys.

The littlest two take naps.  I put the baby in his crib, but the 3-yr-old naps in the guest room.  They won't sleep if they're in their room together. 

Our quiet time is a solid two hours every afternoon.  I couldn't survive without it.

I tried this... I can't figure out how to get the 3 and 5 y.o. to be 'quiet' in their room (they share)- somebody ends up picking a fight or crying or screaming or throwing loud toys around. All across the hall from the sleeping baby... :glare: so they watch a movie/tv thing for an hour - hour and a half while baby naps. It's the only way to keep them quiet. 7 yo plays outside or in his room well. I don't rest, however! I use it to catch up on things. Which means I should probably get off the computer now!

This is my problem. I want to move to a independent quiet time but at 3 and 5 that just isn't working yet. They share a room and there is no other room so I could separate them (they're in our room too, we all share) without using someone downstairs and then it would not be a break from me like I need.

Right now I can often get dd 3 to still nap but that takes about 40 minutes of my time. The 5yo reads in her bed and then we both go downstairs and I tell her it is still quiet time and she can't bother me and must find something quiet and independent to do. It mostly works but I wish I didn't miss half of it getting little one asleep. But the phase is changing and improving, so someday.....