Menu

Swim moms-swim parka question.

Stayseeliz

Thanks for letting me pick your brain again! MIL wants to buy my big two swim parkas for Christmas but she was going to go ahead and give them their parkas now to use at meets. We were looking at the Sporti striped parka from swimoutlet.

http://m.swimoutlet.com/product_p/26576.htm

My question is about sizing. My 9yo is very tall and wears a 16. My 12yo wears youth 18 or men's small. My MIL wants them to be able to wear them for a couple of years so we don't want to order too small. Any thoughts on what sizes I should order??

Can you ask a similarly-sized kid at practice? Or since these are boys, can you ask the mom?

By the way, you are wise to order now, especially if you need embroidery. That takes forever around Christmas! Every new kid must get a parka for Christmas. I had a hard time our first year, and I ordered in October. Best swim money I have ever spent, though, and we live in Atlanta. It still gets worn every day at least October through April.

Mine got their parkas when they were 8 and 10 (girls). We got adult small for them. They can still wear them now fully grown. They liked them big when they were little. Big, but not dragging the ground! The boy was 6 when we got his. Got him an adult small also. It was the largest size he could wear without worrying about it dragging at the time. I figured we would have to repurchase, but he quit before that was a problem. He is back in the water again now, but has no interest in wearing a parka (Would now need adult XL).

Way back then, I don't even remember children's sizes being offered.... Anyway, it worked out really well to have them large. You may want to see what the other kids on the team are wearing though. Back then, everyone got them big.

I'm thinking adult medium for them. I maybe even do adult large for DS since he's bigger than DD. Then she can have his if he outgrows it. DS will start swimming for the high school team next year and even though he'll still be homeschooled I know he'll eventually want a high school parka. The high school is DH's alma mater and DS loves their football team so I know he'll want a parka with the high school logo on it eventually.

Okay, I measured everyone. DD9 is chest-32, sleeve-21, center back-36. DS12 is chest-34, sleeve-23, center back-38. The adult medium is listed as having the measurements chest-48.5-49.5, sleeve-31, center back-42.75. The adult large is chest-49.5-51, sleeve-32, center back-44.

Obviously, either is going to be big but I wonder which way to go??

I might buy the 9 year old an adult S, but if he can wear a adult M withou it dragging on the ground, I would do that.  I would probably get an adult M for your 12 year old, unless you believe he will be big enough for a L soon.  Really, get the biggest you can, because kids grow fast, and bigger parkas are great for keeping warm. :)

I might buy the 9 year old an adult S, but if he can wear a adult M withou it dragging on the ground, I would do that.  I would probably get an adult M for your 12 year old, unless you believe he will be big enough for a L soon.  Really, get the biggest you can, because kids grow fast, and bigger parkas are great for keeping warm. :)

This is what I would do. For most girls, an adult S will fit through high school. A 12 yo boy is going to grow. A lot. Soon. Unless the L is going to drag the ground (doubtful), I would get it. Is there anywhere for you to have them try one on? Maybe other swimmers would let you give them a fitting? Being too big is not a problem with these coats. Big is good. My girls wish theirs were still as large on them as when they were little girls. They made a good blanket back then! Easy to cuddle your feet up to get warm. 

I do have one other bit of advice. Get the one with the water-wicking fabric, not the fuzzy stuff! 

My only issue with getting DD9 the adult small is that she's not a small kid. At all! She's tall and she's going to get even taller. At 9 she's already wearing size 16 clothes. She's not chubby. She's just not thin, short or small. There is a girl on swim team that is built similarly to my DD and she's 14. I know she has a parka so I'm going to talk to her tomorrow about what size she has.

I ended up getting the adult medium for DD9 and the adult large for DS12. They are big but not insanely huge and they are just above the ankles. Perfect sizing for wnating them to last a couple of years. Once DS outgrows his large, DD will get his and hers will go down the line to the next DD. I'm happy. :) Thanks for all your help!

Just wanted to say that big/oversized is okay. They just want something to throw on between their races that will keep them warm. It's really not important that it's a stylish fit. Eventually they'll grow into the bigger size and even then it will work just fine. :)