Menu

People expressed interest in

unsinkable

My friend from another board.....well I use the word friend loosely because I don't know her real identity nor she mine....but she does some sort of highly specialized work that she has never divulged. She does say her job is language analysis...word and body language analysis.

I would love to show you all the letter I sent her that she analyzed. It still just blows me away.

From the way the letter was started.... It was an indication that what was to follow was an accurate and true confession of events....to the way she bulled up further in as if to say, I've done enough apologizing....very interesting stuff.

My friend from another board.....well I use the word friend loosely because I don't know her real identity nor she mine....but she does some sort of highly specialized work that she has never divulged. She does say her job is language analysis...word and body language analysis.

I would love to show you all the letter I sent her that she analyzed. It still just blows me away.

From the way the letter was started.... It was an indication that what was to follow was an accurate and true confession of events....to the way she bulled up further in as if to say, I've done enough apologizing....very interesting stuff.

I love reading about it.

I know we've talked on the board about the non-apology apology.  "I'm sorry if I hurt you" would be an example.

There is an article somewhere about detecting deception in an apology.

I love reading about it.

I know we've talked on the board about the non-apology apology. "I'm sorry if I hurt you" would be an example.

There is an article somewhere about detecting deception in an apology.

DH is the KING of these!

He does it, on purpose, to me because he knows it gets me worked up, then makes me laugh, then I'm *poof* not mad anymore and he never had to really apologize.

Stinker. :P

I'm thinking of taking all of this new info and doing something exceptionally devious.  Let's see if I can lie my way out.

I think it can be good to know when someone is lying, but I don't know if I always want to know, you know?

Years ago, I read a book called Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth in 5 Minutes or Less in Any Conversation or Situation.

It gets into some of what unsinkable talked about in the OP that prompted this thread, as well as many other clues to lying.  It's quite fascinating.  After I read it, I found myself analyzing conversations more and looking for those clues.  While I think it's helpful to be aware of how sentence structure, word choice, body language, and facial expressions can indicate lying, IMO that awareness also brings a risk of "looking for lies".  In my case at least, that new-found awareness made me more skeptical and I started second-guessing more of what people were telling me because of it.  Is that a good thing?  In some ways yes, in some ways no. 

These are great - Thanks!

I guess one of the things investigators have to take into account though, is the level of education of the perp.  I could see people getting into trouble because they can't keep tense straight, have trouble with verb agreements and punctuation issues.

Makes me want to dig out old emails....

I guess one of the things investigators have to take into account though, is the level of education of the perp.  I could see people getting into trouble because they can't keep tense straight, have trouble with verb agreements and punctuation issues.

Punctuation doesn't matter in verbal statements.

I'm thinking of taking all of this new info and doing something exceptionally devious.  Let's see if I can lie my way out.

I think it can be good to know when someone is lying, but I don't know if I always want to know, you know?

Some lies are a good thing, I think.  So, while some people lie and hide things they may just be doing it to avoid hurting another person's feelings.  You know, like:  

Friend:  Does this dress make my butt look big?

Me:  No, no the dress is fine.  

(See, I didn't tell her that in fact it was her butt that made her butt looked big.  The dress had nothing to do with it.)  There's an art to it.

Punctuation doesn't matter in verbal statements.

But does it in a written statement?  That oxford comma can be quite tricky.

http://www.lincolndailymanagement.com/oxford-comma-for-president/#&panel1-3

BTW, see I can pick out that you left out my other examples and changed it from written a statement to a verbal oe, to make another point.

This is a good point. I have heard people talk who don't ever seem to use pronouns like "we" or "our" etc. Instead it's always "he/him and I" etc. This would, to an analyst, indicate distance and it's just the way they talk.

Presumably, someone with experience is taking that into account. I can see though how someone who was new at it could have lots of fun catching people out though...

I guess that would be why, even though this is more effective than the polygraph, it's not 100%. Nothing's 100% (yet).

Some lies are a good thing, I think.  So, while some people lie and hide things they may just be doing it to avoid hurting another person's feelings.  You know, like:  

Friend:  Does this dress make my butt look big?

Me:  No, no the dress is fine.  

(See, I didn't tell her that in fact it was her butt that made her butt looked big.  The dress had nothing to do with it.)  There's an art to it.

I don't see your example as a lie though.  It's actually the truth.  The dress is fine.  Choosing not to comment on the size of her butt may be avoiding the topic, but it's not a lie.   ;)

But does it in a written statement?  That oxford comma can be quite tricky.

http://www.lincolndailymanagement.com/oxford-comma-for-president/#&panel1-3

BTW, see I can pick out that you left out my other examples and changed it from written a statement to a verbal oe, to make another point.

I can't remember examples using statement analysis of a written statement and punctuation. They might be out there, but I can't remember.

This is a good point. I have heard people talk who don't ever seem to use pronouns like "we" or "our" etc. Instead it's always "he/him and I" etc. This would, to an analyst, indicate distance and it's just the way they talk.

Presumably, someone with experience is taking that into account. I can see though how someone who was new at it could have lots of fun catching people out though...

I guess that would be why, even though this is more effective than the polygraph, it's not 100%. Nothing's 100% (yet).

It's one tool in the toolbox.

I don't see your example as a lie though.  It's actually the truth.  The dress is fine.  Choosing not to comment on the size of her butt may be avoiding the topic, but it's not a lie.   ;)

I agree with you, technically, but, it is in fact a deception.  Since in your head you're thinking about its gravitational pull.

I agree with you, technically, but, it is in fact a deception.  Since in your head you're thinking about its gravitational pull.

You have a point.  :p

Maybe too many exclamation marks or not enough:

I didn't do it!!!!

I didn't do it.

Or what if they use a question mark:

I didn't do it?

:lol:

Maybe too many exclamation marks or not enough:

I didn't do it!!!!

I didn't do it.

Or what if they use a question mark:

I didn't do it?

The first 2 sentences you wrote have 2 components of a reliable denial.

A reliable denial must have three components:

1.  The pronoun "I"

2.  The past tense verb "didn't" or "did not"

3.  The allegation specifically addressed.

You are missing the third component.

As for the 3 sentence you wrote, watch My Cousin Vinny for the perils of asking a question while being interviewed for a crime. :LOL:

The first 2 sentences you wrote have 2 components of a reliable denial.

A reliable denial must have three components:

1.  The pronoun "I"

2.  The past tense verb "didn't" or "did not"

3.  The allegation specifically addressed.

You are missing the third component.

As for the 3 sentence you wrote, watch My Cousin Vinny for the perils of asking a question while being interviewed for a crime. :lol:

But the lack of a contraction could be a indicator of deceit, correct?

But the lack of a contraction could be a indicator of deceit, correct?

I don't think so...from what I've read, did not or didn't are both acceptable.

So...

Did you rob the 7-11?

I didn't rob the store or I did not rob the store --- that would be reliable.

But if you said:

Would never rob the store.

You're missing the pronoun I and the tense is wrong. It's what you won't do (future) not what you didn't do (past).

AMDG

Well, here is a truth for you . . . I'm an interpreter.  I am highly educated, highly trained, and highly certified.  My job as an interpreter (not translator) is to understand the full message (both what was said and what was meant) and convey that information in the target language.  I've been doing that for 14 years.

And after a while it never turns off.  I never just hear what people say but I always, always, look for the expressions, body language, variations in speech patterns, et c.  

I don't really like it that much.  

I mean, I love, just adore, interpreting.  really.  I love the jobs I do, the things I see and do, the people I meet . . . all of that kind of stuff.  I just wish there were a switch for turning off the analysis.

It doesn't haunt me or anything but, it is always on.

AMDG

Well, here is a truth for you . . . I'm an interpreter.  I am highly educated, highly trained, and highly certified.  My job as an interpreter (not translator) is to understand the full message (both what was said and what was meant) and convey that information in the target language.  I've been doing that for 14 years.

And after a while it never turns off.  I never just hear what people say but I always, always, look for the expressions, body language, variations in speech patterns, et c.  

I don't really like it that much.  

I mean, I love, just adore, interpreting.  really.  I love the jobs I do, the things I see and do, the people I meet . . . all of that kind of stuff.  I just wish there were a switch for turning off the analysis.

It doesn't haunt me or anything but, it is always on.

This is what I imagine it would be like.