Menu

Going High Tech with HS!

Well, we bit the bullet.  DD and I will be doing a running experiment of going almost all computerized!  We purchased two laptops with Windows 7 and MS Office Home & Student 2010 with Onenote.  I've set up a network so we share our homeschool notebook.

I am so excited.  I've already started our "Classes" notebook with: Math; History (w/church history); Geography; Chemistry; Literature; Grammar; Classical Composition; and Spelling.  Latin will be done with DVD's and a workbook (Latina Christiana).

So far, I've built Weekly Overviews for each subject in the notebook.  Each item has a checkbox so dd can check-off which items she has completed.  This overview includes which texts are being used with a link directly to the text if it's an ebook, so she can read right on her laptop and keep her assignments handy.  The overview also has any supplemental videos or audio imbedded right in that page.  I can even record a video of myself giving her directions if I'm going to be away, or audio of directions.

Each Week Overview then has subpages with her assignments.  For example, if I have any pdf worksheets, I can directly import them into Onenote on the subpages I designate and then dd can fill them in with a graphics pad (Wacom Bamboo Splash).  We also subscribe to BrainPop annually (only subscription we have).  I can now set up a blank subpage for whichever class I want, have dd access BP, fill in the activities or do the quiz, then have her directly print to that blank subpage in Onenote!  Maps will be a snap by importing the outlines and having her use the graphics pad to draw and label the maps.

I've even created a "Current Events" page for both history and chemistry.  She'll be asked to peruse several news sites and see if there are any articles relating to her subject matter.  I've already put samples on the pages for her.  It's so easy to do this by docking Onenote to Internet Explorer. 

This endeavor has really rejuvinated our excitement for homeschooling and dd is psyched about being able to do "school" in a schedule that fits her (she may choose to do all of history in one day) and work anywhere she wants -- maybe even in bed! 

BTW: Dd will be entering 5th grade.

Well I'm having to reread your post a bunch, because you have so many ideas in there!  :D  What's interesting to me is that I was thinking about how we'd rearrange our space for this coming year, how dd would like to work, and nothing was really coming to me.  I'm realizing maybe I hadn't explored HOW FAR we could take this.  Maybe the vision (of bins and notebooks) wasn't coming because there should BE no notebooks?  Hehehe, I don't know!  But it's fun to think about.  Thanks for sharing!  :)

Excellent ideas for using OneNote! 

We are into a Kindle Fire/whiteboard loop here at my house. Our books are on the Kindle and a lot of the work is done on a whiteboard. DD9 does have a slim three ring binder for some things but I'm encouraging her to use a netbook as well. Our one laptop with OneNote perished in a deluge over a year ago, but I do plan to upgrade to that again some day. 

I must confess I do wander around the school supplies sections of the various stores I visit and stare longingly at the nice stacks of paper and notebooks......

We went mostly digital last year and it worked really well for us. I like that it is very flexible and if something doesn't work I just quickly substitute something else.  If you like onenote, another resource I love for school is Padlet.com.  Sounds like a fun year you planned.

I bought my dd a Nexus 7 tablet on sale a week ago. She has been using our laptop in some of her classes last year but will now use the tablet more.  Specifically, I need to use the laptop in my classes, which she will be attending, and I didn;t want to upgrade the laptop since I need a dvd drive so I can show powerpoints and also so I can play clips of DVDs and show websites to the kids and I didn't want to go to Windows 7 instead of Windows Vista I have on my older laptop. 

Anyway, she has already found a fun way to do Spanish on the tablet.  She apparently found a game?app?  which gives her a Spanish sentence that she needs to translate to English (and it is forgiving of her spelling mistakes which is important for a dyslexic) or she can translate from English to Spanish.  It can say she got it right, she got it almost right, or here is the correct answer.  She says she likes it better than Rosetta Stone because of the almost right feature/

I wish I could get photos on here.  I would post some screenshots of how I've set some pages up.  My dd just keeps getting more excited about this.  She hates to write but enjoys typing.  I don't have too many concerns about handwriting skills as she has pretty nice printing and cursive.  However, I will still have her do her memory verses and dictation in cursive for practice.

I wish I could get photos on here.  I would post some screenshots of how I've set some pages up.  My dd just keeps getting more excited about this.  She hates to write but enjoys typing.  I don't have too many concerns about handwriting skills as she has pretty nice printing and cursive.  However, I will still have her do her memory verses and dictation in cursive for practice.

Upload them to photobucket? It is free!

There are others, but that is what I use :D

I know my DD would LOVE for me to do this - I'm just hitting a wall in providing the technology at the moment :(

My DH would love this thread! He's such a techno-geek :laugh:

I, however, am completely a bibliophile. If I can't touch, see, hold, and smell the book itself, it's just not worth it! :lol:

It sounds like you have things well planned out! Have fun this year!

Upload them to photobucket? It is free!

There are others, but that is what I use :D

I know my DD would LOVE for me to do this - I'm just hitting a wall in providing the technology at the moment :(

Thanks for the tip.  I'll check it out.

Being financially challenged (one main income), I purchased a refurbished Asus from Tiger Direct.  It has 7GB of RAM and 750 GB hard drive for $401.  This is my early Christmas present.  It seems to be working great.

I originally planned to share my laptop with dd as I couldn't afford two.  However, when I told my mom what I was doing, she offered to buy dd her own laptop as a early birthday present (dd's birthday is in November).  I was totally thrilled.  Mom told me to pick it out and she would send me a check.  So, I chose an Acer w/4GB RAM and 500 GB HD.  It's a really pretty cherry red and I got it from Amazon for $398!  Free shipping on Prime!  DD absolutely loves it; especially the color.

My DH would love this thread! He's such a techno-geek :laugh:

I, however, am completely a bibliophile. If I can't touch, see, hold, and smell the book itself, it's just not worth it! :lol:

It sounds like you have things well planned out! Have fun this year!

I totally know what you mean.  I NEVER in a million years figured I'd go this route, however, I know that in this world, dd needs to be aware of the technology out there.  Before homeschooling, I had a career in banking administration - designing and implementing our bank's first website and intranet.  I just seem to learn new software quickly and easily.

However, cell phones -- ack -- FORGET IT!  I'll never be able to operate one of those.