Menu

Middle school curriculum, struggling student

mermo

My friend has decided to homeschool her son, he is 13, has some issues with anxiety (not medicated), issues with being bullied, missed a fair bit of school last winter with illness and will not be promoted from 7th to 8th grade if he returns to public school.

Mom works 8-4 mon thru fri, dad is a police officer who works days and evenings. His grandfather will be with him and could help teach some.

I encouraged her to have him take the math mammoth end of year 6th grade to get some idea of where he is with math skills. I told her about time4 learning (I have never used & have only HS K & 2nd so far).

Budget is around $200-300

Please offer advice for curriculum (secular or Christian) and any other ideas.

Thanks

I would suggest Hake for Grammar and English. It is written directly to the student, thorough, and easy to use. It covers so many subjects {GUM, writing, a little vocab, some dictation which could be used as copywork, journaling [if they are into that]} for a good price. Starting with 6 would be the best, I think though because 7 assumes a greater degree of writing skill. Experiencing success is much more importent than the grade on the cover of the book. That is so important for struggling students {and I have some}.

http://www.hakepublishing.com/product-information.html

Teaching Textbooks is good option, too. They have placement tests. BCM isn't really an appropriate resource, IME, for younger struggling kids. The text itself is so overwhelming. For struggling kids, having someone explaining the math is way better. Plus if he gets stuck with TT, he can call/email to get direct help.

http://teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/Placement.htm

I would not be so concerned with spending money on formal literature, science and history. Use the library, a good reading list, loads of DVDs, and his own interests there.

Another option would be a Virtual Academy. She might check to see which, if any, are available in her State. They are free, give placement tests, etc.. K12 is excellent. 6th and up are to the student. She could also buy just science or history from them as an Independent. K12 has a monthly payment plan.

http://www.k12.com/

Time4Learning is better used as a supplement, IMO. It just seems too fluffy to be a main program.

ck12.org

KISS grammar

Khan Academy

I typed out a reply that i list. :( Short version i would never try to homeschool a man-child that age who had never been at home without direct and constant oversight and encouragement unless he really, really wanted to be at home and even then I would be wary. Also, it sounds like this child in particular needs some down time to de-school, detox from the negative school atmosphere, and find some self worth. That all sounds difficult to do without some pretty strong, loving guidance.

If she is sure that this is the direction this child needs, I would suggest allowing him to have as much input as possible into what he is studying in history and science. Keep in mind the goals. If the goal is to return to a traditional classroom for high school, then he needs to look at what they are doing for junior high. Is the mother wanting to hold him in grade 7 or bump him to 8?

Since the mother will not be home, it would be easiest if much of the output was written. Can this child handle that? Or, can he independently be prepared to give orally presentations on history when she ges home? How much is the g'father prepared to do?

At least Khan will grade and track his math drill. I think I would do that, KISS grammar, and CK12 for a math and science. History would depend on what the school is doing and if the goal is to send him back. I think I would sink every dime of money into an online writing course like Write at Home. Composition is time consuming to grade and correct and in middle school it is a skill that needs to be built. If I were working and had a middle schooler homeschooling, it is definitely what I would pay to outsource.

HTH-

Mandy

ck12.org

KISS grammar

Khan Academy

I typed out a reply that i list. :( Short version i would never try to homeschool a man-child that age who had never been at home without direct and constant oversight and encouragement unless he really, really wanted to be at home and even then I would be wary. Also, it sounds like this child in particular needs some down time to de-school, detox from the negative school atmosphere, and find some self worth. That all sounds difficult to do without some pretty strong, loving guidance.

If she is sure that this is the direction this child needs, I would suggest allowing him to have as much input as possible into what he is studying in history and science. Keep in mind the goals. If the goal is to return to a traditional classroom for high school, then he needs to look at what they are doing for junior high. Is the mother wanting to hold him in grade 7 or bump him to 8?

Since the mother will not be home, it would be easiest if much of the output was written. Can this child handle that? Or, can he independently be prepared to give orally presentations on history when she ges home? How much is the g'father prepared to do?

At least Khan will grade and track his math drill. I think I would do that, KISS grammar, and CK12 for a math and science. History would depend on what the school is doing and if the goal is to send him back. I think I would sink every dime of money into an online writing course like Write at Home. Composition is time consuming to grade and correct and in middle school it is a skill that needs to be built. If I were working and had a middle schooler homeschooling, it is definitely what I would pay to outsource.

HTH-

Mandy

I, too, would be reluctant to recommend homeschooling under these circumstances (girls as well as boys, of any age). With two parents who work full-time, and a grandfather who can help "some," I don't know...that just doesn't seem like a good situation. :-(

My friend has decided to homeschool her son, he is 13, has some issues with anxiety (not medicated), issues with being bullied, missed a fair bit of school last winter with illness and will not be promoted from 7th to 8th grade if he returns to public school.

Mom works 8-4 mon thru fri, dad is a police officer who works days and evenings. His grandfather will be with him and could help teach some.

I encouraged her to have him take the math mammoth end of year 6th grade to get some idea of where he is with math skills. I told her about time4 learning (I have never used & have only HS K & 2nd so far).

Please offer advice for curriculum (secular or Christian) and any other ideas.

Thanks

In this situation, where the supervision is going to be coming from a grandparent and the kid will be largely self-teaching, I would look seriously at K12. There are probably placement tests to decide which level he should use in each subject. I love my kids' grandparents, but NONE of them (even the retired teacher!) would be able/willing to hold my kid accountable. With K12, the grandfather would be a support person but not needing to manage the whole thing.

I jumped into homeschooling my daughter for her 8th grade year. It was a rough transition - and she was a good student. It's a whole different dynamic to do school at home and have a parent as a teacher - and I wouldn't put a grandparent in that position.

Nearly all states have a virtual academy that uses K12 curriculum. Some states have virtual schools that use Odysseyware. Connections Academy might be another option - their curriculum is offered by state charter schools. These are typically free for the family because they are enrolling with a public school (virtual academy) that is tax-funded. The big advantage to these is that everything is planned out and the student is accountable to the teacher. Mom, Dad, and Grandpa can all help the kid as needed but it really centralizes everything.

http://www.k12.com/enroll-or-buy/find-a-school-and-enroll#.UfP_7m1ekxg

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/our-schools/availability.aspx

Keystone and BYU also have middle school programs but they are not "free."

http://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=ms

http://keystoneschoolonline.com/curriculum/middle-school

Nearly all states have a virtual academy that uses K12 curriculum. Some states have virtual schools that use Odysseyware. Connections Academy might be another option - their curriculum is offered by state charter schools. These are typically free for the family because they are enrolling with a public school (virtual academy) that is tax-funded.

To clarify, many (not "nearly all") states have Internet-based charter schools. Some of those require/provide K12, some require/provide Connections Academy; some come up with their own programs. The option is the charter school, not K12 or Connections Academy. The children are enrolled in the charter school, not K12 or Connections Academy, e.g., Texas Virtual Academy or California Virtual Academy.

To clarify, many (not "nearly all") states have Internet-based charter schools. Some of those require/provide K12, some require/provide Connections Academy; some come up with their own programs. The option is the charter school, not K12 or Connections Academy. The children are enrolled in the charter school, not K12 or Connections Academy, e.g., Texas Virtual Academy or California Virtual Academy.

Was that not clear from my post that the virtual school provides the curriculum, which might be k12, Connections, Odysseyware, or something else? And that one can choose to enroll in a charter/VA that offers the curriculum they prefer? If I really want K12, then I will enroll in one of the schools in my state that offers that instead of one that offers something else.

33 states and DC have a virtual school that offers K12. 23 of those states also have a school that offers Conections. Many states offer their own distance education program that could use something else (Odysseyware, Plato, etc.). In fact, I found only two states that don't have a virtual school: New York and Maine. Rhode Island's is new and is just enrolling 9th and 20th. Vermont's only offers some classes, not a full curriculum. There may be others that are somewhat limited. But it is definitely true that nearly all states offer an online charter school.

I would have him take the Adam K-7 math test and then do the linked Kahn Academy videos for areas where he is below grade level. I would also have him take my reading grade level tests and then work through my online lessons if he is below grade level.

Adam is $20 and linked to free remediation.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/ADAM_math/parents/

My tests and test links are free and my site has free remediation.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

I would also wonder about accountability as others have mentioned. It would depend on his and Grandpa's personalities and Grandpa's energy level and ability to motivate said grandchild.

<snip>

<snip>

Sadly, I don't think this is going to be successful, unless the mother can quit her job. Possibly they could do it on that budget, if the mother is there, full time, to be his HS teacher.

IMHO, the parents and  their son should meet with a Counselor in the Middle School he was attending, to see if they can come up with something the student will be comfortable with. Also, possibly a Child Psychologist could help them.

Even if their budget would cover Distance Learning courses, that requires a huge amount of Time Management and Self Discipline and Motivation and I'm not sure if the student has that.

A state paid Virtual school, K12 or Connections Academy, if available in the state they live in, would fit their budget, but might require a much faster pace than he is capable of at this time. And, from what I've read, there may or not be help available to him, if he needs it.

Somehow, they need to get him at grade level, so he has a solid foundation and can progress from there.  GL to him!

Was that not clear from my post that the virtual school provides the curriculum, which might be k12, Connections, Odysseyware, or something else? And that one can choose to enroll in a charter/VA that offers the curriculum they prefer? If I really want K12, then I will enroll in one of the schools in my state that offers that instead of one that offers something else.

33 states and DC have a virtual school that offers K12. 23 of those states also have a school that offers Conections. Many states offer their own distance education program that could use something else (Odysseyware, Plato, etc.). In fact, I found only two states that don't have a virtual school: New York and Maine. Rhode Island's is new and is just enrolling 9th and 20th. Vermont's only offers some classes, not a full curriculum. There may be others that are somewhat limited. But it is definitely true that nearly all states offer an online charter school.

No, it wasn't clear. Otherwise I would not have clarified.