Menu

Home Art Studio- is it more "crafty" then Atelier?

aufan

I am not settled about art this year. I have AP on hand, Drawing with Children on the way and now I have been poking around looking at the different dvd art programs out there. Can anyone tell me if Home Art Studio does more craft type art vs learning to draw/paint(I get the impression Atelier is more learning to draw/paint). I have looked at the projects from HAS and it seems like a lot of cutting/gluing paper and less drawing painting but maybe I am missing something. I don't want to do a lot of "crafty" type art(we will have plenty of projects like that with our history) but more  learning to draw/paint. Does anyone have any insight as to which would be better?

I have not used HAS, but considered making the change from Atelier. I decided to stick with Atelier even though it was much more expensive, because HAS looked too crafty. I also compared the galleries - especially the higher levels, and was more impressed with Atelier. I am pleased with the amount of technique in Atelier, but I am by no means an artist.

I haven't used Atelier, but I *think* they teach the same concepts, but perhaps in different ways and at different times? We have done some projects from the K & 1 HAS DVD's so far and the kids have worked on mixing colors, line variation and cultural appreciation. We've only done a handful of lessons. I find it very gentle and the kids love it. They always feel accomplished and their final project looks great. Even my 4 year old is able to produce a pleasing product, with a little help when needed. We switched from Artistic Pursuits and have not regreted it.

I do find HAS more crafty but not in a bad sense. You will do cutting and pasting and drawing but with purpose. Cutting and pasting to show overlap or add a mixed media feel.

I will say I am both pleased and at the same time disappointed with HAS. Dd loves it and will watch the DVD lessons and do the work pretty much without my help. So that is a big plus. The instructions are easy to follow. However the teaching of art is lacking. Example, dd just made a color wheel and the teacher did not go into primary and secondary colors, just this is how to make a wheel and the colors you add. I had to do the teaching of what the colors were.

I do find HAS more crafty but not in a bad sense. You will do cutting and pasting and drawing but with purpose. Cutting and pasting to show overlap or add a mixed media feel.

I will say I am both pleased and at the same time disappointed with HAS. Dd loves it and will watch the DVD lessons and do the work pretty much without my help. So that is a big plus. The instructions are easy to follow. However the teaching of art is lacking. Example, dd just made a color wheel and the teacher did not go into primary and secondary colors, just this is how to make a wheel and the colors you add. I had to do the teaching of what the colors were.

This is covered in the first lesson on the K DVD. I have a feeling the DVD's are best used in order, although it doesn't say that is required.

I didnt' find HAS crafty at all.  We used the 2nd grade course (for a 1st and 4th grader).   We didn't do a few of the projects, like the clay clock...didn't think my boys would enjoy that.   I think there was 16 or 18 projects all together, and we did about 14...and not a single "craft" in them.  It was drawing, and painting type stuff.   Drawing with a learning purpose, and painting with different techniques.  So we skipped a few projects, but even then, I don't remember any crafty stuff.  My boys hate crafty and I don't think "crafty" is that art-oriented....I don't need an art class to build stuff with google eyes, tissue paper and popsicle sticks, lol.   That's free all over the internet.   HAS is one of the first at-home art curriculums that I LOVED.   I wouldnt' have loved it if it were crafty type projects.

I completely agree with this. My dd6 enjoys the majority of the K program so far; there have been a few lessons that just didn't interest her, so we skipped them. Overall, I am happy with my purchase and find it appropriate for a young child, but I'll be looking for something that teaches art more thoughtfully in a few years.

If you do go with HAS, I would recommend just buying the supplies from Jerry's Artarama when they have a good sale, because we would never get it done if I was having to track down all those art supplies :) 

It only looks crafty because she uses colored paper for the background paper. There is good solid art vocabulary in there and she teaches the elements of art in her projects. My kids asked for more of the DVDs for their birthdays. I do think it is best to do them in order as she does refer to lessons on other DVDs . We are doing the first grade one and she refers to "last year" in a couple of lessons, as if taking it for granted that we would have done her class every year. I didn't prefer that, but overall felt it was worth the money, especially if you get them while on overstock sale at Jerry's or through the homeschool buyers coop.

Since I don't have either I was going off the galleries on both websites. It looks to me like there is more construction paper/gluing type art (like the flowers and the roller coaster thing) then what I am seeing in the Atelier gallery.  I found a thread that listed what was covered in the Atelier Modules but I can't seem to find a list of what is covered in the HAS levels(we would probably start with K).There is such a huge price difference between the two that I am torn in which way to go!

Since I don't have either I was going off the galleries on both websites. It looks to me like there is more construction paper/gluing type art (like the flowers and the roller coaster thing) then what I am seeing in the Atelier gallery.  I found a thread that listed what was covered in the Atelier Modules but I can't seem to find a list of what is covered in the HAS levels(we would probably start with K).There is such a huge price difference between the two that I am torn in which way to go!

I am not sure if there is a master list for that or not, but you could try emailing. She is very quick to respond and very helpful.

So no one has anything to say about Atelier? I am also looking at both. Does HAS include art history/appreciation like Atelier does?

Morgan, why will you be looking for a different program later on?

So no one has anything to say about Atelier? I am also looking at both. Does HAS include art history/appreciation like Atelier does?

Morgan, why will you be looking for a different program later on?

I own the whole HAS set so we'll go through them, but so far (we've only done the K level, so I could change my opinion) they are just random art projects. Art is definitely not my strong point, however I did go to a public school that had a great art program. In my opinion HAS is fine for my child at age 6, when just creating stuff and getting messy is fun. However, in a couple years I'll be looking for an art program that offers more in regards to art appreciation and teaching techniques that build on each other. I guess I would prefer something similar to what I would expect if I paid for an art class in the community; HAS isn't really that too me. This might sound rude, but the projects remind me of art projects in a public school classroom setting (as opposed to the kind you expect to see produced in a school with an actual art teacher/classroom). Maybe I am totally off base though, not being an artist and all :)  

Thanks for your input Morgan. I am looking for something that is comparable to having an art teacher in my home and it sounds like HAS isn't it. I am hoping to get Atelier when it comes up in the HSBC in about a week and a half and hopefully it will meet our needs! Oh and if I get a reply to my email about the list of topics/projects in HAS I will post but so far I haven't heard back.

I own the whole HAS set so we'll go through them, but so far (we've only done the K level, so I could change my opinion) they are just random art projects. Art is definitely not my strong point, however I did go to a public school that had a great art program. In my opinion HAS is fine for my child at age 6, when just creating stuff and getting messy is fun. However, in a couple years I'll be looking for an art program that offers more in regards to art appreciation and teaching techniques that build on each other. I guess I would prefer something similar to what I would expect if I paid for an art class in the community; HAS isn't really that too me. This might sound rude, but the projects remind me of art projects in a public school classroom setting (as opposed to the kind you expect to see produced in a school with an actual art teacher/classroom). Maybe I am totally off base though, not being an artist and all :)

Agreeing with this, but we also have only worked through the K level. ;)

I would love to see samples of Atelier, but could never find any on their site. Am I just missing it? I can't fathom paying that much without samples! I haven't seriouslymlooked at it yet but would consider it for the future. Right now I am happy with HAS, it suits the multiple ages of my kids.

Where I live, I've found two types of art programs.

Ones that are affordable and we've tried them, and they are a huge disappointment.  They are artsy-crafty.  Examples of work my children did:  squares of tissue paper glued to a paper.  Painted random lines with paint.   Painted a mask (like those blank white cheap plastic theatre masks you get 5 for $1.00 at Micheal's).  Just very mediocre type projects, things I could have done at home, with no real "art lesson" behind it.  And this was by a  professional art teacher.   Another class, the first 6 weeks was spent on drawing....there was some real art lesson behind it, but it was advertised as an ART class, not just a drawing class...and my children were bored beyond tears.

The other types of art classes in my community are the ones that I can simply not afford.  $250 per semester, per child.   Perhaps these are exactly what one is looking for, real art projects, varied art projects, with "teaching" behind the projects.  But with two children, I wouldn't know, because I can not afford to spend that much $$$ for ART.

Plus again both are time out of the house, a scheduled thing, which I'm trying to limit, and if I have to pick and choose which activity is a priority enough to be an actual "scheduled out of the house" activity that we plan for every week, with our art class options, Art drops down to the bottom of the list.   We'd much rather be out of the house for P.E., music class, park days with friends and field trips.  Between just those activities, our "out of the house during school hours" time is full.

With HAS, I found it offered enough "teaching" behind the art projects, enough that my children were interested in, because neither has a huge interest in Art...it's enough to give them experience, put some interest into them, and let them create real art projects that are good enough I'd hang them in my house on display, AND it's affordable, AND it's done on our schedule, without having to leave home.  

Atelier might do the same, but it's way more $$$$ and frankly, the examples on the website didnt' seem that much different than what we do with HAS.   I went to both sites and compared same level to same level.  I compared Grade 2 to be exact since we did that level of HAS last year.   

The other thing about Atelier, for me, it seems more complicated.  It comes with a TM, and lesson plans, etc etc.  I don't need all that.  I like that I can pop HAS into the dvd player, and we all sit and watch it.  I pause it when I need to, so they can do each instruction one at a time.  The only prep I do is I look through the projects first (using the included instruction sheets on the DVD that I downloaded to my computer) and get out the supplies that morning.  5 minutes of prep for me and we are at work!   If Art is going to get complicated, it's likely it won't get done at all at my house :).

Agreeing with this, but we also have only worked through the K level. ;)

I would love to see samples of Atelier, but could never find any on their site. Am I just missing it? I can't fathom paying that much without samples! I haven't seriouslymlooked at it yet but would consider it for the future. Right now I am happy with HAS, it suits the multiple ages of my kids.

Remind me to bring Atelier next time I'm up your way. I keep meaning to bring it. I haven't looked at it yet either :p