Menu

Suggestions for science project - studying fish, ponds, etc

Slipper

I'm looking for suggestions on a side project. I have her science curriculum, but she is interested in doing reading and projects regarding 'fish'. I'm trying to expand this into viewing pond water under a microscope along with studying different types of fish. Any suggestions? She's not a science kid so I'm looking for easy and fun for 3rd grade.

You can also take her to a market place to see different types of fish. We go to the Asian farmers market around here and my kids see live catfish, eel etc. it is nice to see the different ones too and you can buy some if they are smaller and dissect at home.

Well first locate a pond/river or lake nearby.  Take nets, buckets, magnifying glasses etc and a large tupperware type container with a lid..  Go pond dipping.  Examine what you have found.  Now fill the container(with the lid) with the water.  Add in the creatures you have found.  Put on lid and transport home.  Set up a temporary ecosystem to see them over a few days.  Use the microscope slides that have the concave spaces on them to examine the water, plankton, algea etc.  After a couple days return the samples back to the location you found them.

To add to it, use the books from one small square (swamp and pond).

For fish, see if there is a fish hatchery within driving distance that allows the public in to see what they do.  See if your museum or nature center has a live fish exibit (both of ours do).

You can even add fun crafts or projects, like fish prints, or dissecting fish, crawfish etc

We are getting a zoom microscope thing(you know those egg shaped microscopes that plug into your computer to make digital prints of what you are seeing with the microscope), but for our current study we don't have it.

Right now on my front step in my mop bucket I have a thriving mini pond thanks to our most recent pond dipping excursion.  We spent about 5 hours on the docks in the river in the provincial park here on Saturday.  The kids caught baby fish(not minnows, actual babies, looks like sticklebacks and lake trout), shrimp, a water tick, about 3 types of water beetle, a couple snails, some little clam like critters I have never seen before, some little orange coloured things that we have not yet identified etc.  I will see if I can take pictures later.

We lucked out because it poured rain the night we did this, so the water (I only had about 1/3 of the bucket filled with pond water then did treated water(like you treat for aquariums) and initially it looked like the fish wouldn't survive, but that night it poured rain and it seemed to balance the water naturally and everything has been thriving since.

Anyway, we have done pond dipping for years(since my teens were 4-5 years old), but this is the first time I have had them maintain a mini pond with specimens.  ds has plans to put the microscope to use tomorrow since he isn't working. 

I have never seen those shining dawn books I don't think.  What age do you think they are geared for? they look wonderful.

I have only used one so far, the Snow and Ice, and found it varied in age activities. I would say there is something in there for grades 1-6. I was quite pleased with the amount of activities they offered, more then enough. It got us to look at the snow/ice and start thinking why or how or what if...which will look different depending on the age of the child. I know my 16yr old enjoyed doing some work for snow and ice and did not find it too "babyish"

I have never seen those shining dawn books I don't think.  What age do you think they are geared for? they look wonderful.

It's a multi-age unit study centered around a particular nature topic.  It covers all subjects and includes a fantastic book list and notebooking pages.  She also has a Pinterest board dedicated to every unit.  Currclick also sells Nature Explorers and has more sample pages.