Menu

States that allow homeschoolers access to the public school

snowbeltmom

As of last week, homeschoolers in Ohio now have access to all extracurricular activities offered at the public school (including varsity sports) without partially enrolling in the public school.  In addition, the law specifies that determining a homeschooler's academic eligibility will be done using existing Department of Education criteria and processes already established for homeschoolers - i.e. neither the public school nor the athletic association can require a homeschooler to jump through any additional hoops.

For those of you who live in states that have a similar policy, how is it implemented?  What type of documentation does a homeschooler have to provide to the district in order to participate in extracurricular activities? 

In PA, some districts will say things like if a chorus or orchestra *ever* meets during school hours for a practice, it is no longer extracurricular. I haven't seen this challenged legally yet, but I have read several reports of people running into issues where their district has kind of sneaky workarounds, IMO.

I once asked about Odyssey of the Mind in my SD, and they passed me around on a bunch of different emails and never answered me about whether it is co-curricular or extracurricular :/

For a while some SDs were trying to demand proof of GPA and so forth but as far as I know that was shut down and clarified.

In Minnesota, or maybe it's because we live in such a poor rural area, ds had to have a sports physical and provide vaccination information.  We paid th  e same fees and that was it.

I'm actually looking to see if he can attend the local ps part time in the fall.  I know he would like to be at the school every day for class, but I'm not ready to give up his literature or history classes, and he has no desire to do math or science up there, so I think we'll be looking to see what electives they might have for him.

In Minnesota, or maybe it's because we live in such a poor rural area, ds had to have a sports physical and provide vaccination information.  We paid th  e same fees and that was it.

I'm actually looking to see if he can attend the local ps part time in the fall.  I know he would like to be at the school every day for class, but I'm not ready to give up his literature or history classes, and he has no desire to do math or science up there, so I think we'll be looking to see what electives they might have for him.

We aren't currently using this and I don't know the exact specifics how it's executed, but I know other people in MN who've part time homeschooled or used school for extra curricular activities.

We live in NH, but our public school is in Maine due to location of our town. DD12 participated on the middle school ski team and we were only asked to fill out an emergency form that said everything was up-to-date. I am not sure what the actual law is in NH or ME, but they were very accommodating.