Menu

Moving to the LA area :)

We are moving to the LA area in September, and leaving our sweet homeschool friends behind in AZ. :( We are very excited, but my kids thrive on activities and friends. :) I would love to get help with finding any homeschool groups nearby, or activities we could be involved in. We wont have tons of money, because we are going there to start a new church plant in that area.

Any help or kind words would be so appreciated.

Leaving friends and family is very hard for me.

Small world!  I grew up in West Covina; my Mom still lives there.  I can't tell you a lot about the homeschooling scene there, but I'll look into it for you.  It is centrally located.  45 minutes/hour  to the mountains, beach.  LA is about 35 minutes. 

Pasadena is close by which has lots of things to do. 

I'm in the LA area near Pasadena. There's a great co-op there on Tuesdays. Also on Tuesdays is a homeschool group that meets at a Pasadena park. It is not a co-op, just a nice time to socialize. There's also a hs Girl Scout troop that meets there twice a month. We used to attend the co-op but now attend the park day instead (just easier with a baby).

Feel free to message me for details. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Azbunch

It was really weird to read your post i live in az and will be living in West Covina ,where my husband and grew up, starting this coming January. We will live there January through April each year for his work. I have a friend that said there is a homeschool group near by and she is going to get me the information. I have children around the same ages as yours. Do you already know where exactly you will be living? Are you familiar with the area at all. My husband will be working 12 hour days while we are there so i will be looking for ways to entertain the kids. So far i know they have a trampoline place with homeschool days i thought i might be able to meet people there and they have a nice library im hoping to utilize.

Message me if you want to chat more :)

I haven't lived in SoCal since my kids were younger, but we found that Orange County had far more homeschool activities than LA County. There were some and I believe it was growing, but it wasn't thriving. I hope things are better now.

Our church in Pasadena had a group starting, a co-op, but I haven't heard if it has continued or not.

This has some groups to check out:

http://lahomeschool.50megs.com

I am very jealous! I would move back in a hot minute if my family would agree to it. Unfortunately, my husband and children have decided that NC is now "home" and they don't want to go back to what I consider home.

Dawn

Guest Azbunch

Eie is the one my friend was telling me about:) but i couldn't remeber the name.

Many people mentioned pasedena but unless its a Weekend morning it can be an hour or more drive there from West Covina. My friend where will be living in WC is the manager of the rite aid in pasenda and is always stuck in traffic.

Im in a small city in az so im not comfortable with driving to far in ca in my 15 passenger van i was hoping for something like Glendora, Azusa, Covina i could drive there:)

We are moving to Corona, CA next week with our 4 kids ages 13, 11, 7, and 5. I've yet to look intensely into groups, classes, etc, but would like to know if anyone hears of something closer to Corona. I've found groups south of us in Temecula, but would really like to find any WTM or classical groups in the area, even if it is a drive!

We are moving to Corona, CA next week with our 4 kids ages 13, 11, 7, and 5. I've yet to look intensely into groups, classes, etc, but would like to know if anyone hears of something closer to Corona. I've found groups south of us in Temecula, but would really like to find any WTM or classical groups in the area, even if it is a drive!

Hi, I'm in Corona and replied to your post in the CA thread. I don't know of any IN Corona. Most I meet are not "classical" minded. Many are virtual or belong to "umbrella" schools so are more PS like if that makes sense. I have also seen a few unschoolers.

I would love a field trip group, but haven't found one yet. There is a yahoo group, but many seem to have older kids (like HS). Some on there do set up field trips but most seem to be for older kids (no littles allowed, so doesn't work for me).

I personally don't have time for weekly things, but would love 1x a month field trips.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in LA, near Eagle Rock/Glendale not too far from Pasadena.  I am will PM you a response to your email but nice to see just a few others around here.  :)  I have had a hard time connecting with other homeschoolers here.