Menu

Questions about getting a loan UPDATE

Melinda S in TX

Do banks ask health questions when you apply for a loan? We need a new home and dh was looking at manufactured homes. To get a home, we would need to get a loan. Friends told us it wasn't worth the trouble for us to apply since dh has brain cancer. They said a bank wouldn't even consider us since dh could die and they are in business to make money. Dh has a good job where he has been for seventeen years. Even if he were to die, the life insurance would pay it off. Do they ask health questions and would they not even consider us?

UPDATE

We purchased a new doublewide without meeting anyone in person, so health questions never came up.  They did think it kind of weird that dh wasn't interested in the process.  I did everything via email, and I was the contact person.  They delivered the home today.

Thanks so much for the advice

I have never been asked a health question on a loan application. It's not allowed. Do NOT bring it up voluntarily. If your DH is currently working and makes enough money to cover the mortgage and other debts, that's what matters. These days it's much more likely a loan holder will lose his/her job than have anything happen healthwise.

Good luck!

Edited: I ASSumed you're in the US. Apologies if you aren't!

The mortgage company just checks bank records, employment history, credit reports, and looks at assets as far as I know when considering you for a mortgage. We have owned two homes and refinanced both of them, so we have dealt with the paperwork a lot lol. We were asked about the large amounts of money going to doctor bills when we bought our second house, because my son was going through cancer treatment, but we said it was a current account and they could not ask us directly about it.

If I were you I would remove as much info as you have out on the net, or make it password protected for friends/family only. Nothing is to stop them from googling your names.

But we were not asked health questions, but if you are paying any regular medical payments they will see it, so they may ask about that (how much is owed/ how long to pay off etc). Also if you get any disability money or the like, they will ask about that. And they will contact all current employers. So depends on what info they give, i.e. "yes he does work here, but is on leave right now, etc.". For a mortgage, just a letter from the employer/copies of pay stubs is not enough. They will verify independently.

I ASSumed you're in the US. Apologies if you aren't!

We are in Texas.

Is your dh currently on the job, or is he out on medical leave?

Dh is currently working. Even when he had the craniotomy, he didn't officially take off. His supervisors and buddies just took care of things.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

We purchased a new doublewide without meeting anyone in person, so health questions never came up.  They did think it kind of weird that dh wasn't interested in the process.  I did everything via email, and I was the contact person.  They delivered the home today.

Thanks so much for the advice.