Menu

Question about Oral Surgery and Food

emzhengjiu

My 16 yo DD is having her wisdom teeth removed tomorrow. What kinds of food should I get for her? I assume she'll need liquids for a while, but I'm drawing a blank about anything else. It's been a long time since I had might out. Other than the prescribed pain medication, what other things can I have on hand to make it easier for her. Thanks so much.

Ann

Get the pain medication while she is in surgery and start her on it right away. Ds says he ate refried beans. How quickly I put this out of my mind. Ice is your friend. We used several bags of frozen peas for ice bags. Favorite movies are a blessing. Don't plan anything for several days and see how they manage.

Ice cream, applesauce progressing to Chef Boyardee after a day or two. Nothing through a straw as it can dislodge blood clots forming over the holes.

It went very well for my ds and he was able to drive himself to school (dual enrollment class so not a full day of school) after a couple days, very little swelling. He didn't like how he felt with the pain meds so he stopped taking them and just toughed it out. But a classmate had hers done the same day and she swelled up a ton.

If you are given a narcotic pain med, vicodin, for ex, and she doesn't like the side effects or can't tolerate it, try two ibruprophen and two Tylenol. Recommended by my oral surgeon and worked great.

Try smoothies and pudding pops--but sometimes sucking hurts a bit. A good, smooth soup, not too hot, like pea soup or potato, can taste really good, esp as many soft and/or frozen foods are sweet.

Three oral surgeries in three years for me, and two kids with wisdom teeth out in the same week two years ago. We've got this down to a science!

Seconding the frozen peas (or soft frozen gelpacks,) and put them on both sides, alternating if more comfortable. Keep doing that 20-30 mins on, same amount off, for the first 24 hrs. Some surgeons give anti-inflammatories in the mix during surgery, some do steroids. Be sure you know what they give, so that 1)you don't duplicate with Advil/Motrin for as long as they specify, and 2)in case she has a bad reaction to steroids.

Vicodin and other narcotics (as well as hydrocodone and Tylenol III) can constipate, so be sure to be proactive, given the liquid/soft foods which aren't usually high in fiber. We've found that 600 or 800 mg of ibuprofen cross-dosed with plain Tylenol (acetaminophen) works just as well.

Foods? Smoothies of all kinds eaten with a spoon, mashed potatoes, thick, creamy soups, cottage cheese, custard (nice b/c it's not terribly sweet and has protein), anything that sounds good to her. After a day or two, she may reach the stage at which sweet things are really getting old. That's the point at which I started throwing cans of beans, plus rice into the blender, then adding a tiny bit of mild salsa stirred in. : ) I had to be careful with spicy foods though.

last, warm salt water very gently swished helps a lot. Be careful with the holes (sockets). The last oral surgeon gave me a new hydrocolloid product, Sockit!, and said, "I won't call you or have a follow up unless you need me. We've found our patients don't need it if they use this." I can't say it did anything for me, but it was interesting.

Good luck to her!

Not recommended: dh, when barely 20, moved a friend (furniture and all) and then had a steak dinner with said friend afterward, the day after having his wisdom teeth out. I'm thinking he was still on narcotics.

ETA: I didn't know him at the time, and dh's mother (he was living at home) was a very detached, hands off mother.