Menu

Amazon.com

I just received a notification email that, effective September 8, Amazon.com will no longer accept paper checks. I was just wondering if this would create a problem for anyone else here. I figure I must be in the minority, since my business doesn't seem to matter to them.

ETA: I don't give *anyone* automatic access to my money, as is the case when you give an online business permission to charge your checking account or credit card. They have a funny way of deciding when to do that without notifying you until after the fact.

I never use checks for online purchases. :grouphug: Sorry that is affecting you. My new favorite way to buy at amazon is through coinstar. You can use bills or coins and get an e-certificate. There are no processing fees with the amazon card. The certificate number is good immediately after purchase.

I wasn't even aware that they took paper checks! :) So, I guess I'm not going to be personally affected by their decision. I can assure you, though, that I've made literally hundreds of transactions with amazon.com, using credit cards, and I have never, ever had any problem with them whatsoever. Ever. They charge your credit card when you place the order, and they ship either that day or the after. Their marketplace sellers are less predictable, but I've never had a money issue with any of them either. The money goes through Amazon.

I hope you can find a satisfactory resolution. I'm guessing that they're making this decision based on the money it costs to pay the people who process the paper checks. Electronic payments are fully automated, faster, more efficient, and (therefore) more cost effective. I know this doesn't help you write checks, and I hope I haven't offended you in some way. My hope is that something here was encouraging or helpful.

Blessings,

Suzanne

I hope you can find a satisfactory resolution. I'm guessing that they're making this decision based on the money it costs to pay the people who process the paper checks. Electronic payments are fully automated, faster, more efficient, and (therefore) more cost effective.

I think they have one person come in twice a month to process checks, because I sent one two weeks ago and the order still sits. It doesn't take that long for a letter to travel 1,000 miles.

I tend to think if there was an issue processing all those checks, they wouldn't be changing the policy. If they had that many people sending in checks, it would mean a significant portion of their business would be affected (affected/effected -- I can never keep those straight). I tend to lean more towards fraud and bad checks (and I pay things like that with cashier's checks so that the person on the other end, whoever they are, doesn't have to worry about that). If that's the case, it is even more irritating. I'm finding more and more I'm jumping through hoops because people are assumed to be thieves or terrorists.

I know this doesn't help you write checks, and I hope I haven't offended you in some way. My hope is that something here was encouraging or helpful.

I am absolutely not offended. :)

I realize I'm a little "out there" in what I will and will not do -- and there are many things that I don't do that other "normal" people don't think twice about because I have set my limits and that's that. I was ripped off quite a few times when I could actually afford it. I sure can't afford it now! :D

I have found a satisfactory resolution, though. I'll give you three guesses. :lol:

I wasn't aware that using paper checks was an option. We've used our credit card for hundreds of transactions at Amazon. We've been fortunate enough to never have had an issue (even with Marketplace sellers).

Sorry the new change is making things more difficult for you.

Credit card payments are at the top of the screen, so you would have to scroll *way* down to the bottom to find it. :D

"I think they have one person come in twice a month to process checks, because I sent one two weeks ago and the order still sits. "

"I tend to lean more towards fraud and bad checks."

I hadn't even thought of that, but I think you're probably right. That would make me mad, too. I hate when a few bad apples ruin a good thing for everyone else.

I am absolutely not offended. :)

I'm glad

"I have found a satisfactory resolution, though. I'll give you three guesses." :lol:

Oh, I can certainly guess your solution to the problem. :D

PS. How do you do the multi-quote thing? I know where the icon is, but I don't know how to work it. :confused:

I got a notification letter too, only it said that as a seller I could no longer receive my credits through gift certificates. I REALLY liked that program--I would sell what I didn't need anymore and turn around and buy what I needed, my wishlist was there, there were no auctions (hate them), etc.

My DH is in computer security and WILL NOT be thrilled at their insistence that I now supply them a bank account number so they can credit my account directly.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

I think it's a funny coincidence that these changes in policy both took place around the same time. I wonder what's up . . .

I got a notification letter too, only it said that as a seller I could no longer receive my credits through gift certificates. I REALLY liked that program--I would sell what I didn't need anymore and turn around and buy what I needed, my wishlist was there, there were no auctions (hate them), etc.

Ouch! That sounds like a great way to do it, too!

My DH is in computer security and WILL NOT be thrilled at their insistence that I now supply them a bank account number so they can credit my account directly.

Exactly. If they can put it in, they can take it out, too!

I don't know what I'm going to do.

Well, I know what my options are. The nearest decent bookstore is about 75 miles away. Most people around here travel that far weekly to do their shopping because there's so little available here, for all kinds of things, but I have only been out there once. It's not a bad drive and the upside is that I really like to hold stuff in my hand before I buy it, so we'll just go with that. :D I can see, though, that I'll have to get in touch with them about a month in advance to special order things for me, because the stuff I'm buying usually isn't on the shelf.

You, on the other hand, are pretty limited in what you're going to be able to do! I hope you guys get something acceptable figured out!

I think it's a funny coincidence that these changes in policy both took place around the same time. I wonder what's up . . .

Yeah -- me too. I can think of reasons for the "no paper checks" thing, but I'm really stumped to come up with something for your situation. It's very confusing!

One of the policies they've always had is that you can't use gift certificates to partially pay for an order if you pay by check. I think this might have had something to do with refunds -- you can't "cash" gift certificates -- but I never really got an answer from them about that.

I am getting Amazon.com gift certificates for participating in a medical study. After the third one that we couldn't use, I emailed the people running the study to tell them that if they were paying for these, they should not send me anymore, since I couldn't use them. They said they weren't aware of the policy, contacted Amazon for clarification and were told that was NOT true! Basically, calling me a liar! It's right on their website, so I sent her the link and she said she would check on it some more, but she didn't do it and they're still sending them to me. I hate the idea that they're wasting their money, but it's out of my hands.