Menu

handwriting paper for 1st / 2nd?

momma aimee

what paper do you use for your 1st / 2nd grader? I need to order / buy some writing paper and i am not sure what to get ---

he will be in 2nd in the fall but handwriting is a real weakness and he struggles with it

i was looking at :http://www.amazon.com/School-Specialty-Handwriting-Paper-Dotted/dp/B003U6KX1W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372178961&sr=8-4&keywords=school+writing+paper

My ds really struggled with handwriting, so we used Handwriting Without Tears (HWT) that has it's own kind of paper. Ds is also a lefty, and HWT is the best program we saw for lefties at that time (he's now 13). Ds found all those different lines distracting, whereas HWT paper is much easier to look at and use. Ds was behind in his fine motor skills at that age, If your ds is (and, regardless of what studies say, as a piano teacher I agree with many other piano teachers that boys are often slower with this than girls) there are things you can do to help. DS started with the K HWT that used play do, etc, but he started younger than 2nd grade; you could start with their first grade one. Great things to help find motor coordination are Brain Gym, piano exercise or lessons (on an acoustic piano or a good digital one that help with strength, too), using modeling clay, folding socks, etc.

That said, I used paper like this for my dds when they were young; they didn't struggle with handwriting, though.

Mine have always used HWT regular or narrow paper. My kids like the narrow line spacing better because they naturally write small. I buy the 500 ream.

For your child, I would suggest printing some free ones from Donna Young website and see which one suits him the best.

http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/paper.htm

For writing with drawing, we use the blank top writing paper on the same link.

My kids used wide ruled and college ruled for 1st grade. College ruled for 2nd grade. They prefer to have more lines per page.

We use Bright Lines.

Some Bright Lines use just color. We have purchased the ones with raised lines. The raised lines are not perfect (1-2mm high or low) so you would have to judge whether this would be more help for your son vs. frustration for you as an adult/teacher.

Also, have your son write letters or words several time, and circle his best. Ignore the worst, unless it is a systematic error. Put a star on the best of the page or line. Eventually, let him point out which he thinks is best.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not use special paper for my DD - I just use ruled exercise books and place an arrow in the margin where I expect her to write - she knows which letters are tall and which hang down and the rest go in the arrowed spaces. I also use blank journals for anything other than copywork or dictation so that she does not have to concentrate on staying in the lines when she is thinking up what to write and so that she can still write slightly bigger if she chooses since she is young.

I have used some of the paper that is free to print such as some listed in the posts above and she copes fine with that too. I don't think special paper is anything other than an expense and additional work since they then have to change to something else later.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought "second grade" tablets at the any local office store, like this. Then I discovered I could buy it by the ream at the local educational supply store, and haven't looked back since.

i bought a ream and am happy with it 

I know he will just have to make a switch at some point, but i like the size and the lines for him since he is still struggling with letter formation

This is what I do. 

You can also get it cheap from Wal-Mart....here....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacon-Multi-Program-Handwriting-Paper-1-2-Long-Rule-White-500sheets-pk/16671270

It has $.97 shipping too.  That just reminded me I wanted to get some.  They also have the blank top from Wal-Mart you can order.  :)

Is this newsprint or more like copy paper? I hate newsprint, but wouldn't mind purchasing a ream if it's more like copy paper.

Thanks!

This is what I do. 

You can also get it cheap from Wal-Mart....here....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacon-Multi-Program-Handwriting-Paper-1-2-Long-Rule-White-500sheets-pk/16671270

It has $.97 shipping too.  That just reminded me I wanted to get some.  They also have the blank top from Wal-Mart you can order.  :)

Is this newsprint or more like copy paper? I hate newsprint, but wouldn't mind purchasing a ream if it's more like copy paper.

Thanks!

I don't know since I haven't ordered it.  It's why I've been hesitant too.  I really don't like the newsprint paper either...that is a great description.  I've been trying to figure out how to describe it.  Thanks for that!  Anyway, I figured it might be worth the risk at only $6 total with shipping and I can return it to Wal-Mart if I don't like it and end up only out $1.  But, I haven't taken the plunge.  I still print it from ZB's site.  I know it would end up cheaper to order it though.

That's true...could always return. I keep thinking a ream would be nice for those days I totally forget to print some and don't want to interrupt school to print more. Overall, it would be easier than running to the printer all of time.

I don't know since I haven't ordered it.  It's why I've been hesitant too.  I really don't like the newsprint paper either...that is a great description.  I've been trying to figure out how to describe it.  Thanks for that!  Anyway, I figured it might be worth the risk at only $6 total with shipping and I can return it to Wal-Mart if I don't like it and end up only out $1.  But, I haven't taken the plunge.  I still print it from ZB's site.  I know it would end up cheaper to order it though.

I asked a friend (on another forum) who I knew had bought that paper.  It's newprint type.  She says she likes it, but I'll probably just stick with printing it.  I really haven't ever come across any newsprint handwriting paper that I like.  :( 

Anyway, at least now we know.  :)