Menu

Strengths

We so often focus on weaknesses so we can address them and work on them. However, it's nice to find strengths and bring those to light.

My ds is average in most subjects. He's not "advanced" or "behind" (for lack of better terms). Yet, in learning foreign languages he excels. This kid picks up languages so quickly.

How about your dc? Let's go ahead and shamelessly talk about strengths.

Nice thread. :)

My ds's clear strength is in math. He is also doing very well in Latin. His Stanford testing results showed him as "post high school" in all three subcategories of the math tesitng. He just finished 6th grade, so I think this is brag-worthy. His vocabulary is also excellent. :)

Thanks for thinking of this idea. Love it.

My girl is turning out to be very good at making jam! She put up multiple batches of strawberry jam, then did sour cherry (boy was that a lot of work!), and yesterday she did peach.

I admire people who have that ability to DO things, who can look at something and not get nervous about whether they're doing it right or whether they measured the berries right or this or that. She just goes in and does it! And she's FAST at it, wow is she fast. Blows my mind!

My struggling learner tells the most beautiful stories. She has well developed characters and uses great vocabulary. Sometimes I sit beside her bedroom door at night just so I can listen her talk.

Love this thread!!!

Strategic thinking! Chess, cards, you name it. He has earned a $1,000 scholarship from Sony Corp for winning a big Pokemon card tournament. Made it into the World Tournament two years in a row. (Not sure about this year.)

Left-brained, logical, linear, math-and-science strategic thinker. Little red-headed boy would like to be an atmospheric scientist for NASA or similar some day.

Also gotta brag on his willingness to pick up FLL grammar and run with it. Rose almost six grade levels in understanding and shot up 45 percentiles in standardized testing in "usage and expression" from last year until now.

Great thread! Our high special needs son is 14, still barely reading at a 5th grade level, and in recent testing for language disorders tested at 9 years old in every area but two. Of the two,one was at 7 years old but the other was vocabulary and it was at 21 years old! He has a HUGE vocabulary in spite of word retrieval issues and multiple other developmental challenges. He also is terrific at mental math and higher level math. Though he is cleft lip and palate and he struggles with speech, he could sell refrigerators to Eskimos and they'd return to buy a second one! He is a happy, happy kid who is quite creative and imaginative.

My dysgraphic son can't write beyond what often looks like a third grade level, though he can dictate and have written for him with adaptive software writing that is college level as tested. Put a pencil in his hand and forget it, give him a keyboard and software and he is off and running! He also is incredibly talented with spatial reasoning and 3 dimensional thinking, totally blew away the evaluator for 504 assessment. He is going to take CAD this year and hopes to be able to work with 3D printers soon.

Our severely dyslexic 10yr old is an unbelievable artist. He can reproduce things he sees in his own perspective. This boy could be the next Picasso. He also is a big advocate for "the underdog" in any situation, getting really upset if things are not fair. Our awkward 13yr old dyslexic (who has been accused of being and aspie but is just quirky) really struggles with math, but is highly gifted in literature and has an awesome sense of humor. He is currently writing a book about cat ninjas. He has 14 chapters completed. :)

My dd (8) can give us directions to most any place she has been since she was three. All I have to do is say "I'm feeling a little lost" and she will pull us through. Not only does she remember how to get there, she remembers everyone who was there with her, what everyone ate, what everyone wore, what the place smelled like. :) I love that girl so much. She can't remember that the "e" at the end is silent and makes the other vowel say its name, but she can remember what color shoes the doctor had on 5 years ago.

My dd (8) can give us directions to most any place she has been since she was three. All I have to do is say "I'm feeling a little lost" and she will pull us through. Not only does she remember how to get there, she remembers everyone who was there with her, what everyone ate, what everyone wore, what the place smelled like. :) I love that girl so much. She can't remember that the "e" at the end is silent and makes the other vowel say its name, but she can remember what color shoes the doctor had on 5 years ago.

That's narrative memory for you.  Have you read the Dyslexic Advantage yet?  Definitely check that book out, if you haven't already.