Menu

Eat to Live - can I just say...no thanks

I did great until dinner but honestly what was I supposed to do with that really fabulous chicken breast dish that I served my dear family. I would love to be a 95% vegan but how?!?!

I really think that is must be healthier (the book sure sounds convincing) but I have this fondness for good-tasting food.

I would love to lose 20 pounds and I have decided that I need to get on the cast for "Survivor". Those folks always look pretty sleek (albeit hostile).

I am in complete admiration for those who have managed this (or any) diet for more than 24 hours (which is about my limit).

Alexandra

And have skimmed through it. I eat healthy already but I do not eat a vegetarian or vegan diet although I aspire to eat such meals once or twice a week. (I am not against a vegetarian diet and did eat this way many years ago. I'm not a huge meat lover so it's relatively easy for me to follow.)

So I skimmed the book and gleaned some information which I may incorporate into our daily eating plan but like all dietary advice books, I take what works for me and my family (no separate cooking for each person in the family here).

It probably makes some valid points but at the end of the day you've got to be able to make eating choices that you can become part of your lifestyle.

I would love to be a 95% vegan but how?!?!

It took a health scare for me. My blood work came back from the doctor and I had problems with my liver, sugar, and cholesterol. It's either this or the much worse alternative of being sick.

FWIW, I am a staunch omnivore. At the restaurant that I cooked at years ago I remember whenever vegetarians would come in, the other chefs and I would we would all be like "why bother? yada yada yada..."

The one thing that got me through the first 24 hours of this is that diet is not vegan forever, just 6 weeks. I can do anything for 6 weeks.

After the six weeks is up, I plan to eat a small portion of beef, chicken, fish or eggs and a whole grain starch such as brown rice with my dinner but I want to keep the rest of my meal mostly vegetables. From there, I'll just see what my body can handle to not gain back wait and be unhealthy.

The first 6 weeks is just a big kick start for me.

If you do not have the medical or overweight issues that I have, you probably won't want a diet quite as extreme as this one. I would probably just watch my portion sizes of meats and follow the rest of the diet (all that fresh fruit and all those veggies!)

I personally do not buy into Veganism being healthier. I strive to eat fewer overly processed foods. And being thin does not mean one is healthier.

True, but being fat is most definitely not healthy. Dr. Fuhrman suggests that vegans who eat mostly starchy grains are less healthy than meat eaters who eat copious amounts of vegetables and fruit. :)

I did great until dinner but honestly what was I supposed to do with that really fabulous chicken breast dish that I served my dear family. I would love to be a 95% vegan but how?!?!

I really think that is must be healthier (the book sure sounds convincing) but I have this fondness for good-tasting food.

I would love to lose 20 pounds and I have decided that I need to get on the cast for "Survivor". Those folks always look pretty sleek (albeit hostile).

I am in complete admiration for those who have managed this (or any) diet for more than 24 hours (which is about my limit).

Alexandra

Check out the info found at http://www.nosdiet.com

This website outlines a very sensible way to manage food by knocking out the three biggest factors that contribute to being overweight: snacking, seconds, and sweets.

It is not a no sugar diet (which is what I originally thought) but really an approach to eating and *enjoying* food in moderation. A true "diet" that you can live with, in fact, are meant to live with the rest of your life.

Definitely worth checking out.

HTH,

I am doing the full eating plan for 6-8 weeks in hopes that I can "re-program" my taste buds & my eating habits. I have a terrible, terrible, terrible sweet tooth & I need to gain some self-control in that area. I'm not planning on eating this way for the rest of my life partly b/c I wouldn't be able to afford it long term, but I am hoping to move to a healthier, lower calorie way of eating.

One of the things I really like about this plan is that it's not a big deal to cook differently since my food doesn't require much prep. I make large batches of beans, steel cut oats & brown rice & then scoop out what I need for the day. Once my vegetables are cleaned for the week I'm done with that, the cooked vegs are in bags in the freezer, & fruit is easy. I've failed in the past b/c eating plans were just too complicated--too many choices. This one is a pitb as far as adjusting my expectations of food, but it's very, very simple as far as implementation.

I could never do it, nor would I want do. I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off almost 5 years now by doing a lower carb and now "healthy carb" way of eating - I have eggs every morning for breakfast and chicken or turkey at some point every day. Beef a few times a week. I couldn't do veggies and beans only - it would kill me. We don't eat tons of meat around here - but we enjoy things like yogurt/fruit smoothies for dinner - and no dairy would mean no smoothies! And much to the disapproval of the Eat to Live crowd, I usually toss a scoop or two of protein powder into our smoothies as well :D

I try to eat lots of salad and veggies, but I need my eggs and meat too. And a life without sushi at least once a week? Well, it's just not worth living!!!

... and no dairy would mean no smoothies! ...And a life without sushi at least once a week? Well, it's just not worth living!!!

lol... Well, it's certainly very possible to make smoothies without dairy. I'm not trying to convince you to switch to EtL. ;) Just mentioning that you wouldn't have to give up smoothies.

And as for sushi, well, it's certainly acceptable (in moderation -- once a week would be fine) at the maintenance phase of EtL -- just not the *most* aggressive weight-loss phase.

I could never do it, nor would I want do. I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off almost 5 years now by doing a lower carb and now "healthy carb" way of eating - I have eggs every morning for breakfast and chicken or turkey at some point every day. Beef a few times a week. I couldn't do veggies and beans only - it would kill me. We don't eat tons of meat around here - but we enjoy things like yogurt/fruit smoothies for dinner - and no dairy would mean no smoothies! And much to the disapproval of the Eat to Live crowd, I usually toss a scoop or two of protein powder into our smoothies as well :D

I try to eat lots of salad and veggies, but I need my eggs and meat too. And a life without sushi at least once a week? Well, it's just not worth living!!!

I didn't think that I would ever want to either but I am feeling better than I ever have. I also know that I will be able to eat sushi and smoothies and other meats whenever I want (moderation, of course).

I think its fantastic that you lost all that weight! So whatever you did, it sure worked for you. :)

That kind of diet doesn't work for me because when I have a little bit, I want... crave... would kill, lol, for more of it! So I need something that is making me feel so good, where the pounds are coming off, and I don't crave what I'm not eating, KWIM?

My husband can do exactly what you did but I can't so it is interesting to see what works for different people. I read once that ALL diets do work its just a matter of finding one that works for you.

I could never do it, nor would I want do.

:iagree: To the OP, I think your instinct to dig into that chicken dish was right on. I understand that many people chose veganism for moral and religious reasons, and I would not make any attempt to argue with that. But if you're doing it out of a motivation to be healthy, I personally feel that you have been misled. Humans are omnivores. We did not evolve (or were not designed, if you believe that) to be herbivores. Herbivores have very long, alkaline digestive tracts. Their stomachs do not produce hydrochloric acid. We have medium-short digestive tracts and our stomachs do produce HCl, because that's what's needed to digest meat. It isn't healthy to try to turn an omnivore into an herbivore, any more than it would be to turn an omnivore into a strict carnivore.

I recommend this article:

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtvegetarianism.html

I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off almost 5 years now by doing a lower carb and now "healthy carb" way of eating - I have eggs every morning for breakfast and chicken or turkey at some point every day. Beef a few times a week. I couldn't do veggies and beans only - it would kill me. We don't eat tons of meat around here - but we enjoy things like yogurt/fruit smoothies for dinner - and no dairy would mean no smoothies! And much to the disapproval of the Eat to Live crowd, I usually toss a scoop or two of protein powder into our smoothies as well :D

Susan, that's quite an accomplishment! We always hear stories of dramatic weight loss, but when someone has kept it off for years, I think that's a real testament. I started reducing carbs about four years ago now, and it has been the single best thing I have ever done for my health. My immune system is stronger, my digestion is better, my blood sugar is steady (important for me with my family history of diabetes), my cholesterol levels are better, I sleep better, my moods are better, my migraines virtually disappeared, etc. etc. etc. The only thing that has not shown improvement is that my allergies/hayfever have continued to worsen. :confused: So I'm not sure what to do about that. But I know that bringing excessive grain products and sugar back into my diet sure wouldn't help!

My diet sounds a lot like yours. I eat a lot of eggs and meat, and I'm not even afraid of red meat. My body seems to really need that much iron. Rice is about the only grain that I eat when I'm at home. In social situations, I have to admit that I slip and have tortilla chips and a few other junk items if they are being served! But that's why I try to eat mostly at home. I love dairy products, but I sometimes make smoothies with coconut milk, and I gotta tell ya, that's pretty yummy! :D

I read Eat to Live a year ago and I don't remember it being vegetarian. I guess I need to read it again. I thought information wise it was one of the best health/nutrition books I have read.

After reading the book I increased our fruit and veggies consumption. I went on a quest to add 4 new veggies to our family diet and serve fruit with breakfast and morning snack. I also sneak ground up veggies into everthing I can - pancakes, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce.

I think the book is a worth while read and you need to take from it what works for you and your family.

:iagree: To the OP, I think your instinct to dig into that chicken dish was right on. I understand that many people chose veganism for moral and religious reasons, and I would not make any attempt to argue with that. But if you're doing it out of a motivation to be healthy, I personally feel that you have been misled. Humans are omnivores. We did not evolve (or were not designed, if you believe that) to be herbivores. Herbivores have very long, alkaline digestive tracts. Their stomachs do not produce hydrochloric acid. We have medium-short digestive tracts and our stomachs do produce HCl, because that's what's needed to digest meat. It isn't healthy to try to turn an omnivore into an herbivore, any more than it would be to turn an omnivore into a strict carnivore.

I recommend this article:

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtvegetarianism.html

Susan, that's quite an accomplishment! We always hear stories of dramatic weight loss, but when someone has kept it off for years, I think that's a real testament. I started reducing carbs about four years ago now, and it has been the single best thing I have ever done for my health. My immune system is stronger, my digestion is better, my blood sugar is steady (important for me with my family history of diabetes), my cholesterol levels are better, I sleep better, my moods are better, my migraines virtually disappeared, etc. etc. etc. The only thing that has not shown improvement is that my allergies/hayfever have continued to worsen. :confused: So I'm not sure what to do about that. But I know that bringing excessive grain products and sugar back into my diet sure wouldn't help!

My diet sounds a lot like yours. I eat a lot of eggs and meat, and I'm not even afraid of red meat. My body seems to really need that much iron. Rice is about the only grain that I eat when I'm at home. In social situations, I have to admit that I slip and have tortilla chips and a few other junk items if they are being served! But that's why I try to eat mostly at home. I love dairy products, but I sometimes make smoothies with coconut milk, and I gotta tell ya, that's pretty yummy! :D

:iagree: I couldn't agree more with your post...when I went to a restricted carb way of eating my blood work improved so much! My energy level went up and my skin and hair even look better! I lost a ton of weight too, and was never hungry..so that helped too!

I read Eat to Live a year ago and I don't remember it being vegetarian. I guess I need to read it again. I thought information wise it was one of the best health/nutrition books I have read.

After reading the book I increased our fruit and veggies consumption. I went on a quest to add 4 new veggies to our family diet and serve fruit with breakfast and morning lunch. I also sneak ground up veggies into everthing I can - pancakes, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce.

I think the book is a worth while read and you need to take from it what works for you and your family.

He certainly encourages eating a vegan diet *most* of the time -- but he agrees that small quantities of animal products can be perfectly fine in a diet that is otherwise heavy on fresh fruits and veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds, and limited whole grains.

My energy level went up and my skin and hair even look better!

I forgot about skin and hair. My hair started growing faster, and now you can always tell if I've "cheated" and eaten sugar, because I pay for it with a zit every single time! Of course, that's far better than having a face full of them like used to!

I'm glad you've found health and well being! :001_smile:

Alexandra

Give it another shot- he does allow some chicken and fish in moderation. Also, it is VERY possible to create amazing dishes that are vegan. For example, I made my friend who is being forced into dairy and gluten free right now and feeling like she is missing everything, some vegan ice cream with cashews, cacao (raw cocoa), carob, honey, vanilla and then some cacao nibs and cherries stirred in. It is better than Haagen Daaz... I too love good tasting food- my dad is a bit of a gourmet. I find that quality spices are a must in vegetarian cooking (Penzey's has great spices). So, if you really want to give it a shot, then do it again. Take a small portion of the food you are really wanting and do the rest as you had planned. Don't set yourself up for failure by cooking your old favorite for everyone else and then sitting down for a big bowl of salad. Instead, find some new favorites and if you need to take a child serving of the dish on the table and eat the rest of your own meal. You can do it and feel great.

I forgot about skin and hair. My hair started growing faster, and now you can always tell if I've "cheated" and eaten sugar, because I pay for it with a zit every single time! Of course, that's far better than having a face full of them like used to!

I'm glad you've found health and well being! :001_smile:

Right back at you! I had forgotten about acne!

:lol::lol: I never thought I would find myself defending vegans!

I agree with Ferdie if all you come away with is to add more fruits and veg to your diet, I think that can only be a good thing.

Bottom line: (after the first 6 weeks)

restrict bad carbs

moderation with whole grains

plenty of veg and fruit

meat/fish/eggs/poultry on the plate but in moderation so you will eat more veg.

Which sounds a lot like what others are doing here except to not restrict the meat so you can have as much as you want.