Menu

What is the difference between steel cut oats and regular oatmeal from the store?

oat groat (which looks similar to a wheat berry) simply cut into pieces while oatmeal is oat groats that are steamed and rolled. I cook my children's oatmeal using steel cut oats and they like it but it does have a different consistency. Also, the recipe I found had 4 cups of liquid (either milk or water) to 1 cup of steel cut oats versus the 2:1 ratio for

regular oatmeal.

Karen

You are correct. I'll add that the steel cut oats need more water because they take much longer to cook. They're kind of a pain because you have to watch them and keep stirring them, and you have to do this for about 20 minutes. I think it's worth it, though, because the consistency is so much more pleasurable to eat. It's chewier, and heartier -- not mushy or sticky.

The exception to the rule, though, is something I've seen recently called "quick cooking steel cut oats". These are simply rolled oats, same as Quaker, with the same mushy, sticky consistency. I bought them, thinking I was getting the hearty variety, and I got the same thing as I would have gotten from my Quaker canister.

BTW: I'm not saying anything bad about rolled oats. I like them just fine. I just like the steel cut oats for a special treat.

Oh, and on the same note: Trader Joes has prepared, frozen steel cut oats in single serving pouches. They're perfectly prepared with a bit of brown sugar (and maple syrup, perhaps? -- can't remember). You just heat up a serving in about 3 minutes in the microwave. They're yummy! :)

The exception to the rule, though, is something I've seen recently called "quick cooking steel cut oats". These are simply rolled oats, same as Quaker, with the same mushy, sticky consistency.

Oh, and on the same note: Trader Joes has prepared, frozen steel cut oats in single serving pouches. They're perfectly prepared with a bit of brown sugar (and maple syrup, perhaps? -- can't remember). You just heat up a serving in about 3 minutes in the microwave. They're yummy! :)

Bob's Red Mill has steel cut oats that are chopped just a widdle bit smaller, called Scottish Oats, and they do cook quicker and do have the great taste and texture of steel cut oats.

You can freeze your own very easily. If you cook them in a double boiler, you don't have to stir, stir, stir (although the BRM Scottish oats mentioned above are pretty easy without a double boiler), and you can put a plop in a freezer baggy with whatever else you want with them. If you want to beef up the nutrition, cook them in a double boiler using half milk (skim to 4%).

The only thing I would add to this is watch the serving size. Steel cut oats are more denser/heartier and the serving size is smaller. To prepare 1 serving, you only need 1/4 C compared to a 1/2 C with old-fashioned rolled oats. So, you have a smaller serving but it will be the same 150 calories, 2.5 grams of fat. The reason why I mention this is b/c it is easy {at least it was for me when I first made them} to eat more than one serving. The fiber content is the same though, so you still feel filled.

I'll have to try the recommendation of soaking them overnight! I like the idea of only having them take 10 minutes to cook! :)