Menu

Need some vax advice from those who don't vax or selective vax

MollyAnn

My children are 13, 11, and 5. None have ever had a vaccination.

I was always comfortable with that decision, saying they could make their own choice when they were 18. I did my research on symptoms and treatments, I make sure they eat well and take their vitamins. Illness really isn't an issue in my home.

But now the 13 and 11 year olds are heading off to summer camp and I am not so comfortable with them not being vaccinated against some diseases. I won't be there to notice anything "off" and if they were to come down with something they would be treated by the typical medical community.

I have found a Dr that offers single does vaccinations and I was leaning toward getting them vaccinated for tetanus, polio, and meningitis, but the more I read the more I am confusing myself. The media has done their job scaring me about meningitis but what I am reading says that it is really rare in those older than 36 months, so should this one even be considered?

Tetanus I am doing, the doctor offers the pertussis free one and they will be in barns dealing with farm animals.

Polio I am completely unsure of. It just comes off as more dangerous than others but I know that the only cases of polio in the US are traced right back to the vaccine. Would you consider it?

Is there a vaccination/disease that I am overlooking that you would consider?

I would get them tetanus and meningitis and possibly Hep A. You are probably reading stuff about the disease that the HiB vax is for. HiB is a type of meningitis that almost exclusively occurs in babies and toddlers. It's not even one necessary for public school entry usually. The meningitis shot they give bigger kids/teens is meningococcal. That is the meningitis that spreads like wildfire through dormitories and has killed high schoolers and college students. It's a single shot vaccine. Polio I wouldn't worry about unless they are going to camp outside of the US. Since the 70s there have been no cases of wild polio in the US. Tetanus I totally agree with you. Hep A I would consider depending on your area. It is not a shot recommended where we used to live, but is here in TX. It is, basically, food poisoning transmitted by the fecal-oral route I had a patient in the ER when I was in nursing school who was orange because of Hep A. I will never forget his color. It does not matter how much YOU wash your hands - it is all about the food preparer. Where we used to live there were occasional Hep A outbreaks (and it ultimately closed a restaurant completely). It's a 2 shot series with the shots being 6 months apart, but they'd have some protection after the first shot.

I personally believe there is a huge difference between vaccinating a baby and vaccinating an older child. Their bodies can handle it better and if there is a reaction it is much easier to pinpoint because they can talk!

For camp, I would definitely consider the vaccines you have mentioned, except polio. Polio is exceptionally rare (none in this country in decades) and even when you do get it, it usually is a mild cold. It is actually quite rare to get polio to the point of paralysis. It'd be much more likely for your kids to get measles or mumps then polio. My kids aren't old enough for sleep away camp yet, so I haven't had to deal with this all, though we will be doing some traveling out of the country again in a few years so I know I'll have to visit this issue again then...

The only one you haven't mentioned you might want to consider is hepb. It's rare, but can spread through body fluids (so if they help another child who is bleeding) and through sexual contact (which yours are young for, but if it is a co-ed camp, you may want to cover your bases).

We haven't vaccinated our kids, although a few months ago I was going some reading that had me considering it. The kids' doctor recommends vaccinations (even for the chicken pox) but accepts patients with other views. I asked him what his top two choices for older kids were. He said DTaP and polio were the point important in his opinion.

It seems that I have heard or read about several people that only vaccinate for tetanus.

Whatever you decide, decide soon because you'll want about 10 days to 2 weeks of buffer between the shots and their first day of camp. You never know if they'll react to the shot. I've had LOTS of shots, jeesh, I've been inoculated against MMR 4 times in my life, and everytime I've felt yucky a few days after. And the tentanus shot can leave your arm sore for a few days - see if they'll put it in the hip.

We stopped vaccinating when my kids were 9 months and 3 years. So DD#1 has her shots up until 2 years. DD #2 has her shots up until 6 months. DD#3 has had no shots. Meningitis is not rare in "dorm like" situations. Camp is pretty close quarters. I'd consider that one, and possibly tetanus....although I've read that tetanus is NOT easy to contract. I'd skip polio.

Guest For Narnia

maybe it was a fluke, but I had an adult family member get tetanus from a splinter out of a childs outdoor playgym. He nearly died. I think the only reason it is rare is because most people get their boosters.