Menu

Game Shows

Tita Gidge

I was stuck at the doctor's yesterday, along with another patient who was there for the same procedure. She had arrived prior to me, so she got dibs on the television programming. She picked The Price is Right.

I was shocked how "into it" I became! Summers here are brutal and I think game shows would be a decent time killer during the hottest hours; very DVR-able.

We used to watch Jeopardy! when my older kids were younger, but it's been years.

Any other good game shows? Any game shows to steer clear of?

Just out of curiosity, has any one BEEN on a game show? B)

I'm partial to the weird ones like Lingo and Chain Reaction. The latter, especially, just yields pure comedy. My favorite was when somebody had to complete a two-word phrase starting with Kill, and he knew the second word started with B. So, naturally, he guessed Kill Barbie. As you do. "Kill Barbie" has become the go-to nonsense phrase in our family.

Jeopardy gets all the respect, though. We were at a Boston Univ. hockey game and the young woman who had recently won College Jeopardy was in the pep band. When she was introduced, people went nutso. Both teams banged their sticks on the ice in recognition of her sheer fabulousness. It was most adorable.

Marking down Wheel of Fortune - that's another I had forgotten about.

Wendy, thanks for the Let's Make A Deal suggestion. Hadn't heard of that, but did a quick google and think we'll like it!

I had no idea there was an entire game show channel. This could get out of control LOL. I need to see if we get this. I usually stick to the same 3 channels and it just may be time to venture out some.

Thanks, all!

I used to love the Price Is Right....until Bob Barker left. :crying: Drew Cary just isn't the same. I understand why he left though....I mean, the man does need to retire at some point LOL! I enjoy Jeopardy but I don't make it a point to watch it unless it is on at my parents house. Not sure why....I guess we're just so busy during the dinner hours to remember it.

It is interesting to see how game shows have become easier over the last few decades. It is evident if you watch the Game Show Network.

When I'm somewhere with a TV I like to watch Password and Pyramid. I love Jeopardy and Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Older versions of Family Feud are great but the newer one is intolerable to me. I hate game shows where the questions are stacked to try to get players to say inappropriate or raunchy things. So obviously I don't like the Newlywed show! :laugh: My exception to this is Card Sharks. I'm not sure whether the reruns are still on but they are great!

I've never been on one, but I would love to. Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, or Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? would be my first choices. I tend to like the knowledge-type games.

We watch GSN a lot here. Some of the newer ones on there that I like are Minute to Win It and American Bible Challenge (or something like that).

Baggage is downright trashy -- most of us wouldn't want our kids to watch it, nor would we want to explain to them much of what was said. The newer version of The Newlywed Game has even more innuendo than when Bob Eubanks was the host.

There are about five different versions of Family Feud -- the format hasn't changed much, but the hosts have.

The old Match Game shows are still fun to watch, and I like the various versions of Pyramid. Password has a couple of versions that are fun, too.

Deal or No Deal drives me crazy -- I yell at the people to stop being so greedy.