Menu

Diagramming experts - help please

The sentence:

Todd and Curt painted the race car purple.

What does 'purple' modify? The answer sheet gives it modifying the car. This doesn't feel right to me, but I'm new to this. Doesn't purple modify the painting (how is it being painted? In a purply kind of way) rather than the car? Doesn't 'purple' have a different function here than in:

Todd and Curt have a purple race car.

Thank you (I'm sure that this is the first of many questions as I investigate this new skill.)

L

No. Purple is an adjective and modifies car in both sentences. If the sentence were "Todd and Curt painted the car lazily" (or "lazily painted the car"), then lazily--an adverb--would modify painted. Adjectives can modify nouns or pronouns, not verbs. They often appear before the noun they're modifying but can come after it as well.

A forum member jdahlquist sent me this info about that sentence when I first got the book and asked her about it:

It has been about six months since I have used the book' date=' but the most memorable mistake that I found was in the problems on Page 9. For sentence #3, the answer key has "purple" diagrammed as an adjective. This would be the correct way to diagram the sentence if the sentence read "Todd and Curt painted the purple race care." However, the sentence is "Todd and Curt painted the race car purple." In this case "purple" is an objective complement (or sometimes called an object complement). You can see how to diagram an objective complement at this website.

She also pointed out a couple of more mistakes. I'll share them if you want.

I believe a modern guide to grammar (like the Cambridge) would identify "purple" in your sentence as a predicative complement, which would be modifying the entire phrase "painted the race car" rather than any particular word in that phrase. This would be easy to diagram using a tree-structure diagram. What would be the traditional way of diagraming it? Now I'm curious.

I believe a modern guide to grammar (like the Cambridge) would identify "purple" in your sentence as a predicative complement, which would be modifying the entire phrase "painted the race car" rather than any particular word in that phrase. This would be easy to diagram using a tree-structure diagram. What would be the traditional way of diagraming it? Now I'm curious.

Interesting. Answering your question is a long way beyond my competence, but maybe someone can come up with an answer.

Thanks

L