Menu

Caesar Salad - raw egg??

TXBeth

DD7 really wanted to help make dinner tonight (it's Saturday morning now here), and she chose a Caesar salad from the Joy of Cooking. I skimmed the ingredient list to make sure I got everything needed while shopping, but didn't actually read the recipe until just now.

It says to add raw or coddled egg at the end - just toss it with the lettuce, croutons, and dressing! Now, we are not worried about salmonella from eggs in this house; we eat raw cookie dough and everything. But doesn't that sound kind of gross? If it said to mix the eggs with the dressing and then toss the salad together, I wouldn't think anything of it. But just add the icky, slimy eggs directly onto the lettuce and croutons and everything? Does that sound correct? Has anyone ever done this at home? I've never actually made a caesar salad at home, but I eat them at restaurants all the time, so if this is really the normal way to do things, we'll do it....

That does not sound right to me. I'm going to go look in my copy. Edit: Whoa. That's what mine says, too. "2 large eggs, boiled gently for 2 minutes, or added raw (see About Egg Quality, Handling, and Safety, 122." I guess I'd boil them! Now I want to know how it turns out for you!

I had no idea Real Ceasar salad had raw egg. We eat Fake Caesar salad--lots of romaine, throw on Caesar dressing (we like Ken's) and toss. Then add shredded or shaved parmesan or romano and croutons on top. Serve. Fake Caesar is what got my vegetable hater to eat salad without gagging.

We ended up adding the coddled eggs to the lemon juice and garlic before emulsifying it with the oil. The final result looked nothing like Caesar dressing, tasted very slightly similar to Caesar dressing, and was absolutely delicious! Of course, everyone's favorite part of the salad was the homemade croutons, but they all scarfed it down and were disappointed when we ran out, so I'd say her first cooking adventure was a success!

We make Caesar dressing at home all the time. Because we do worry a little, we boil the egg just a bit (soft boiled), enough to cook the white...3 minutes. And we add the egg yolk into the dressing before the olive oil. Throw the finished dressing on Romain lettuce and its delicious! I love our recipe. It does not have a long shelf life.

It does sound icky, but somehow, it works. We boil the egg for two minutes (especially if we don't have free range eggs available), and then we dump it into the lettuce, before adding the dressing. It ends up being mostly yolk, very little white, and as we mix it, it coats the lettuce, and then we add the dressing and parmesan cheese and toss it all together. (No anchovies, and croutons only occasionally.) If too much white gets in, I'll notice that, and it's icky, but the yolk isn't.