Menu

When your kids move to higher math, and you aren't sure you can help them..

Does AoPS and its videos do the trick? I'm just trying to plan ahead a little, and trying to figure out what exactly will happen when my mathy girl gets to algebra and the deeper maths and I don't necessarily remember how to do it all. I like the videos for teaching, but what about when she does a problem and we can't figure out where she went wrong? I plan to use TT for my son, but I've been steered towards AoPS for my daughter.

The AoPS textbooks have solutions manuals. I intend to buy the solution manual for the Introduction to algebra textbook and up so that hubby can help mark for our boys. When my boys reach calculus, we'll get a tutor as I don't think I want to stress myself over both high school science and math.

AoPS is self-teaching. You could also work the books alongside her or ahead of her. I've been going through prealgebra myself this year (here and there) since I'll be using it with a 9 year old starting this summer.

The solutions manual has fully worked solutions with explanations. They are very well done.

I work with my kids through alg 2......literally I sit and do math beside them. I start to struggle near the end of alg 2 (every time even though I took through cal in college). It helps them though bc they have to explain it to me. (teaching someone else requires more understanding than doing it yourself.) I hire tutors for pre-cal. For AoPS courses, if they are going that route, they rely on the online forum and teacher. I don't have the time to work through those texts. I have taught Foersters since I was much younger (and had more brain cells ;) ) so it doesn't take that much effort.

IMHO and IME, AoPS is NOT self-teaching for younger kids.I think that EVEN IF you use the online course (along with the videos, alcumus, and book), you need a parent or other adult at home (or available weekly for at least an hour) to coach the child through the rough patches.

If AoPS is a good fit for the 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 top math kids (my guess), then I'd say it's self-teaching for maybe 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 of THOSE kids. Not many.

IME, my kids have done well with the classes if they have Mom nearby hassling them and coaching them through an occasional rough patch. With just the book, they need Mom there at least 1-2 hours per week coaching them through rough patches. If you aren't very mathy, this means you'll need to devote significant time to learning alongside your child.

My 16yo has totally independently done Alg 3 and now (part way through) PreCalc, but she is mature, older, has taken the classes, worked with other students online, and spends hours a week online with a boy in her class working problems. THAT boy has two parents who went to MIT, and apparently they can help their son. I could never do it. And, I love math, and I went through Calculus, etc.

For 14 & under and/or for lower levels (say through Beginning Alg & Geometry), I think you have to take it year by year, but don't count on AoPS being self teaching, especially not without the benefit of the classes (which are a significant investment).

As far as I know, there are AoPS videos (and Alcumus) through Alg 2 & Geometry. Once you get to Alg 3, PreCalc, Calc, and the higher levels of C&P & NT, you're on your own with just the text unless you use the classes.

I adore AoPS, but I shudder to think of the frustration for anyone who takes a non-outlier (outlier in BOTH math ability AND maturity/self motivation) student and expects them to do AoPS solo.

IMHO and IME, AoPS is NOT self-teaching for younger kids.I think that EVEN IF you use the online course (along with the videos, alcumus, and book), you need a parent or other adult at home (or available weekly for at least an hour) to coach the child through the rough patches.

If AoPS is a good fit for the 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 top math kids (my guess), then I'd say it's self-teaching for maybe 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 of THOSE kids. Not many.

IME, my kids have done well with the classes if they have Mom nearby hassling them and coaching them through an occasional rough patch. With just the book, they need Mom there at least 1-2 hours per week coaching them through rough patches. If you aren't very mathy, this means you'll need to devote significant time to learning alongside your child.

My 16yo has totally independently done Alg 3 and now (part way through) PreCalc, but she is mature, older, has taken the classes, worked with other students online, and spends hours a week online with a boy in her class working problems. THAT boy has two parents who went to MIT, and apparently they can help their son. I could never do it. And, I love math, and I went through Calculus, etc.

For 14 & under and/or for lower levels (say through Beginning Alg & Geometry), I think you have to take it year by year, but don't count on AoPS being self teaching, especially not without the benefit of the classes (which are a significant investment).

As far as I know, there are AoPS videos (and Alcumus) through Alg 2 & Geometry. Once you get to Alg 3, PreCalc, Calc, and the higher levels of C&P & NT, you're on your own with just the text unless you use the classes.

I adore AoPS, but I shudder to think of the frustration for anyone who takes a non-outlier (outlier in BOTH math ability AND maturity/self motivation) student and expects them to do AoPS solo.

I'm not sure how accurate that representation is. I can see it being true for really young kids that are taking AOPS courses. I can see it being true for some kids that are older. However, I don't think it is really that unusual for kids to take the courses as self-teaching, definitely not the small % you are suggesting.

Ds took his first 2 AoPS courses in 8th grade(both), intro to C and P followed by alg 3. He did not have an online partner for either class (he never did for any of his classes). He had zero help at home. (I can't help the kids beyond Foerster's alg 2......AoPS is way out of my league.) He would occasionally post a question on the forum or pm his teacher, but mostly he struggled through on his own. He did that all the way up through their cal course and did it quite successfully. While he is good in math, he is NO where near the level of being that good.

Just wanted to share a different experience in case there are those out there whose kids would thrive with AoPS and might be scared to even try bc they know they couldn't be any help at home. I will say that you shouldn't expect the online classes to teach them directly like a traditional textbook. The online courses teach pretty much the exact same way the books do. Teacher helps come in the form of questions like "have you thought about x?" If students do not like how the textbooks approach teaching, they probably will not find the online courses to their liking either. But for those that do, the courses are wonderful. Just be aware that they are not for everyone.

(I should qualify that our experience with loving the online classes and how they functioned is based on the old format. I don't know how much their new format has influenced the actual instruction in the courses. )

I'm not sure how accurate that representation is. I can see it being true for really young kids that are taking AOPS courses. I can see it being true for some kids that are older. However, I don't think it is really that unusual for kids to take the courses as self-teaching, definitely not the small % you are suggesting.

Ds took his first 2 AoPS courses in 8th grade(both), intro to C and P followed by alg 3. He did not have an online partner for either class (he never did for any of his classes). He had zero help at home. (I can't help the kids beyond Foerster's alg 2......AoPS is way out of my league.) He would occasionally post a question on the forum or pm his teacher, but mostly he struggled through on his own. He did that all the way up through their cal course and did it quite successfully. While he is good in math, he is NO where near the level of being that good.

Just wanted to share a different experience in case there are those out there whose kids would thrive with AoPS and might be scared to even try bc they know they couldn't be any help at home. I will say that you shouldn't expect the online classes to teach them directly like a traditional textbook. The online courses teach pretty much the exact same way the books do. Teacher helps come in the form of questions like "have you thought about x?" If students do not like how the textbooks approach teaching, they probably will not find the online courses to their liking either. But for those that do, the courses are wonderful. Just be aware that they are not for everyone.

(I should qualify that our experience with loving the online classes and how they functioned is based on the old format. I don't know how much their new format has influenced the actual instruction in the courses. )

Yes, I was primarily responding to the OP who inquired about 'AoPS and videos doing the trick'. I didn't think she was talking about the classes. I agree that more kids can be independent with the help of the courses. I was being skeptical about thinking AoPS could be easily self teaching for many kids without the classes. The real time classes do help a lot, but they also really push the pace, so even with the classes, I believe you need a uniquely motivated, mature, and capable student to excel without a strong parent holding the reins.

I love AoPS. Works great for my kids and I hope more and more kids benefit from it, I just have reservations about folks thinking of it as a low-parental involvement solution in most cases.