Menu

Calling moms of 2nd Grade boys...(or moms of 1st to 4th Grade boys).....

Alia_in_FL

I asked a friend of mine who is mom of four boys (ages 7, 4, 2, and 4 months) if it would help her out if I homeschooled her 7 year old son along with my 7 year old son on Fridays. My son and he are best friends and both are easy to manage. She said it would help her, but she asked for me to choose the subjects. (BTW, she uses Sonlight).

Since it'll be one day a week, I'm trying to plan which subjects. I plan to get the main subjects (Math, Reading, Handwriting, etc.) done with my son BEFORE Friday so the skies the limit on what we do. I need to choose 3 as I'll have 3 hours with them for school (they'll have another 2 hrs for play) and I figure an hour per subject. (we'll do 30 minutes school, 30 minutes play, 30 minutes school, 30 minutes play........).

I've ruled out math (since that's something she and I need to cover daily) and I doubt grammar would work too well as that's not a once/week'r either...but I've thought about Art, Science, Memorization (have them learn poems, quotes, etc.), Geography, LIterature, Latin, Logic, Reading Comprehension, Writing, Reading Aloud, Music......

If you were in her shoes and were eager for this help, what subjects would you like to hand off to a trusted friend?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you have something you're excited to do, then I'd say do that. But otherwise, I'd say do science. It's more fun in a group with different kids to make predictions. You can make it all hands on. The fact that you have another kid coming over will be an added impetus to have something all prepared, which is often the stumbling block for families in getting science done. We do science once a week with another family (all boys - hers and mine). It's our "hands on" day. During the rest of the week, I support it with some readings and occasional narrations, but that day is all activities.

I have 4 kids all similar ages, i must say it is VERY kind of you to offer to help her out. If she's anything like me, it will be an enormous help to her.

Art pretty much doesn't get done around here. Science and geography/history do get done but they are bare bones. If I had to pick three; art, science and geography or history would be my picks.

Would they be able to manage something like this? www.eie.org - go to the engineering adventures as they are free. They may be too young still if they are only just 7 - I think it is third grade up.

Otherwise harmony fine arts, science of some sort, a geography course.

I am voting for art, music, and science as well! You could go free/low cost on the art and music part. Ambleside has a composer list that you could study with books from the local library and then listening to some of their more famous works on Youtube. Art and Science can just be fun, hands-on activities and projects. :)

I would love for someone else to do messy art projects for me. :-) Read a chapter in a good classic children's book each week, play a math game together or work on skip counting so that you are doing a bit of math reinforcement but the boys don't need to be exactly lined up in the same program. A science lesson or a nature walk plus sketch would be cool too!

Art for sure. Science would be great and geography would lend itself well to once/week. I like having science more than once a week, but if you did something like nature study and his mom studied other subjects one day, that would work well.

Yep, science, especially the messier (or possibly grosser) sorts. That would be so much fun with a friend!

Art and geography would be good too. I'd have said history, but I kind of feel like that should be more than just once a week. Perhaps if you were both doing the same time period, and you could hit the hands-on projects or more in-depth stuff during your once a week time -- then I could see it working.

Shakespeare or other literature might work too. I taught a co-op class this year that used Treasure Island as its basis; the boys (ages 6-8) read the book at home (actually, they listened to it being read), and then during our co-op time, we discussed the book and looked at different elements of it or did projects. We hit literary discussion, theater (that was a huge hit, acting out scenes), art, mapwork. . . It was a lot of fun, especially in a small group. But that kind of thing might actually make more stress for your friend because it would mean she'd have to make sure her son read/listened to the literature ahead of time.