Menu

Just a reminder to people to dowload your photos from your Camera/Phone Memory cards regularly

lailasmum

Just thought I'd post this as a reminder as it's easy to forget until it's too late.

I just seen my 4th facebook post this year amongst friends that they've lost their camera or phone while out and therefore lost every photo of their young child or holiday or every picture they've taken in the last year. One heartbraking case was where their baby died and all images of her were on a camera that got lost on a beach. Memory cards are so big now it's easy to not be prompted to download and backup your images until it's too late.

Yes!! My ds has his entire year's worth of school work saved on his computer, including a semester of work that still needs to be polished up and submitted for grading. I have had nightmares of his computer crashing and losing all that work. I finally got him a USB flash drive this week and he backed it all up!

He also has tons of home video footage on his hard drive (saved from his camera), but the files are so big, the only way I can think of to back those up would be to buy a Tera drive ($100!), or burn them onto DVDs, I guess.

I live in fear of my camera getting lost so I always download photos after a big event. Another thing I am going to do this summer (DH had the idea) is put all my photos on an external hard drive and put it in the safe deposit box. DH purchased two external hard drives for me with the idea that I will download all the photos and then swap them out every four to six months. That way if anything happened to the computer (or the house) at most I would have only lost half a year of photos. I am planning to go through all my photos this summer and delete anything that is not important to me to make the process easier.

The last film camera I owned had pictures of some super-important event (I think it was DH's grad school graduation) and I lost it before I finished the roll :cursing: Ever since then, I regularly burn my digital pictures to a CD and also upload them to Shutterfly.

We nearly lost all of our pictures of our oldest when she was a few years old because of a virus. So we have carbonite now. I frequently save everything from camera an phone to my computer and it's all save daily to carbonite. My mom lost two years of photos last year from a computer crash. So always have a backup, too!

I upload everything to both Picasa and Flickr. Uploads are automatic whenever the phone is plugged in and there's a WiFi connection.

Just thought I'd post this as a reminder as it's easy to forget until it's too late.

I just seen my 4th facebook post this year amongst friends that they've lost their camera or phone while out and therefore lost every photo of their young child or holiday or every picture they've taken in the last year. One heartbraking case was where their baby died and all images of her were on a camera that got lost on a beach. Memory cards are so big now it's easy to not be prompted to download and backup your images until it's too late.

Yep - I lost my camera 3 months ago. I think I'd downloaded the card not too long beforehand, but still...it's gone. I loved that stupid point-and-shoot!

I have mine and dh's phones set up to upload every picture we take directly to our Dropbox account. Then once a week or so, I go in and download them to my computer.