Menu

My niece's 29th birthday today! Backstory inside.....

sheryl

My sister's dd was born today 29 years ago! What makes her remarkable is the fact that she was born about 10 weeks early and at 2.9 lbs! I know I've heard of other "extreme" premature (date/weight) babies and some have weighed less than my niece. Many preemies develop physical issue and such was the case with my niece. She has asthma. That is minor compared to the ordeal of what others face. Anyway, she won't see this, but Happy Birthday to her! She's a living, walking, breathing miracle.

That's wonderful. I love hearing stories about preemies who are doing well. My dh was a preemie as well, although not as extreme as your niece, and it makes me so thankful that he grew up with no ill effects and you'd never guess that he had been a preemie. Congrats and happy birthday to your niece! Such a blessing.

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear your loved ones are doing well too! Her birthday does bring back memories. I had been married a few years and drove from Milwaukee area to Indianapolis to visit my sister and niece in the hospital. My niece had to stay for a while, but I don't remember the length of stay. Aside from the asthma, she's doing well.

Still hoping your niece's day was wonderful!

Just to share a quick, happy (and dark ages) preemie story: My mom and her twin were preemies in '41. They were each right around 3 lbs, and were sent home from the hospital with hot water bottles. My grandmother was a whopping 4' 8", and 40 years old when she had the twins. It's only recently that I've realized what a miracle it is that both my mom and aunt were perfectly healthy! We really have come a long way. Amazing!

I know of two different women who were both born around or just before 30 weeks, well over 70 years ago. The one was packed in a box of cotton wool and fed sweetened condensed milk with a dropper by her mother. The other was rubbed every day with vegetable oil. Both of them were born in rural areas that didn't have access to hospitals.