Menu

Since when did eating lunch become a late afternoon thing?

planner

Am I the only one who doesn't "expect to feed" my dc's friends whenever they happen to visit?

I very rarely have time to plan, shop for and prepare meals for guests and therefore (regrettably) rarely have my own friends over (and rarely visit them at their homes either).

If my dc want their friends over, that's fine with me, as long as it doesn't interfere with my day. Dropping what I am doing to feed their friends is an imposition on my time and I feel it's rude to expect me to cater to my dc's guests.

If a child is here for 2-3 hours or more, then my dc are allowed to fix a snack for themselves and their friend, but I never expect to serve them a meal unless planned beforehand. I expect both the child and parent to take care of their meal either before or after the play date.

A sleepover, pre-planned party, or family invitation is different. I have set aside the time and groceries for these events, and meals are expected. A random friend dropping by for a couple hours to hang out? No.

Maybe I'm a meanie, but if I knew I would have to prepare snacks, treats and meals for every play date, they would be few and far between. I feel I can say yes more often to dc having friends over if I know their presence won't add more work to my day.

Another thing is some kids may ask for food not because they are hungry, but because they like eating at other people's homes. When I was a kid, my parents did not buy packaged food, so it was fun to get junk at other people's homes (at least find out if junk was available). I was small before the age of microwave meals, but I can imagine how lovely I thought the chicken nuggets or bage pizza bites that some people serve kids for lunch would be. Plus, some mommies make regular food fun (my mother did not ever do this) shaping sandwiches with cookie cutters or plating everything to make a smily face. Food was different at other people's homes. I don't recall asking for food when visiting (mom taught me that was a no no), but if it was offered it was extra fun for me.

Am I the only one who doesn't "expect to feed" my dc's friends whenever they happen to visit?

I very rarely have time to plan, shop for and prepare meals for guests and therefore (regrettably) rarely have my own friends over (and rarely visit them at their homes either).

I usually invite children for a meal when a play date is planned. The conversation might go:

Friend: What time should I drop him over?

Me: How about around 10? And would be like to stay for lunch?

Friend: That sounds good. Could I pick him up at around 3, or would earlier be better?

Me: Three is fine, but later is good too - they get on so well.

Friend: Okay, let's settle on 3, but I'll call if I'm running late.

Then I make cheese on toast, carrot sticks and apples (or equivalent).

Laura

If my dc want their friends over, that's fine with me, as long as it doesn't interfere with my day. Dropping what I am doing to feed their friends is an imposition on my time and I feel it's rude to expect me to cater to my dc's guests.

If a child is here for 2-3 hours or more, then my dc are allowed to fix a snack for themselves and their friend, but I never expect to serve them a meal unless planned beforehand. I expect both the child and parent to take care of their meal either before or after the play date.

A sleepover, pre-planned party, or family invitation is different. I have set aside the time and groceries for these events, and meals are expected. A random friend dropping by for a couple hours to hang out? No.

Maybe I'm a meanie, but if I knew I would have to prepare snacks, treats and meals for every play date, they would be few and far between. I feel I can say yes more often to dc having friends over if I know their presence won't add more work to my day.

It's not that hard, IMO, to offer up a banana, an apple, a cup of yogurt or something similar to a child who is asking for something to eat. Anytime my kids have friends over, regardless of the time of the day, I assume that they'll want at least a small snack at some point. I can set out a bowl of grapes, or a box of crackers and some cheese without it interrupting my day.

Then I make cheese on toast, carrot sticks and apples (or equivalent).

Laura

Exactly. Kids often need a pick-me-up when playing hard. A little cheese, bread, some cut fruit or carrots is not exactly a major meal. It's a healthy and sustaining bite to tide them over. Especially in summer, when the days are long, and kids are outside playing, using energy and working up a sweat. How can one say no? :)

Another thing is some kids may ask for food not because they are hungry, but because they like eating at other people's homes. When I was a kid, my parents did not buy packaged food, so it was fun to get junk at other people's homes (at least find out if junk was available). I was small before the age of microwave meals, but I can imagine how lovely I thought the chicken nuggets or bage pizza bites that some people serve kids for lunch would be. Plus, some mommies make regular food fun (my mother did not ever do this) shaping sandwiches with cookie cutters or plating everything to make a smily face. Food was different at other people's homes. I don't recall asking for food when visiting (mom taught me that was a no no), but if it was offered it was extra fun for me.

This is so funny because I was exactly the opposite! I didn't like to eat when I didn't know what to expect. I remember one time specifically telling my friend's mom that I loved tuna salad. And then almost gagging when I ate it! (Which I did my very best to cover up. I tried really hard to pretend I liked it!) I was probably 8 or 9.